The Student Room Group

dietetics

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right area...

Basically I'm currently studying my a levels and hope to appy to uni to study dietetics next year. This is the only career I have really thought about doing, but I'm not sure whether I should go down another route as I have had 'issues' with food myself. I have never had a full blown eating disorder, but I wonder if a course in dietetics is really a good idea for me?
What do you suggest I should do?
Have any of you been in a similar situation?
Reply 1
Hi,

I realised that no-one else has answered your q so thought I would give it a go - though I am not sure how much help I will be. I am a mature student applying to dietetics and also working as a dietetic assistant at present.

You do tend to hear chat that dietetic / nutrition students are more inclined to develop eating disorders during their courses. It is also suggested that part of the reason that dietetics courses interview candidates is to check that they have a healthy attitude to food and a healthy body weight. Whether either of these statements are true or not, I have no idea. Most of the dietitians that I work with like food, cooking and eating out, have healthy body weights and take regular exercise, all of which contribute to having a healthy attitude to life as much as to food.

The role of a dietitian is one of helping a patient achieve and maintain a healthy nutritional intake which is suitable for their particular circumstances or health condition. If - as a dietitian - you are struggling with your own concepts of the value and role of food & nutrition, you may find it very difficult to work with some patients. On the other hand, having experience of a dysfunctional relationship with food could help you empathise and understand your patients better.

At this stage, as you are aware of your issues, can you get some support to talk things through and try to understand your own situation before you start the course? This may help (if you think it is appropriate). It might be that you decide to take a year out before you feel comfortable enough in yourself to start the course. There seem to be a good percentage of mature students on dietetics courses so you won't be alone if you defer or delay applying until you feel ready.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending