The Student Room Group

What should I include in my portfolio for a film production course??

I have applied to do the Foundation degree for Film Production at Ravensbourne. I have the interview next week and very nervous about it as Ravensbourne is my top choice! I have made a website with photography, designs, tradional art and some games I have made. Will I get the chance to show this? 'cos I had an interview for film at Leeds and they didnt even look at it! I have made a few adverts and a short film, which I think dont think are that great....should I make a showreel out of the films? How long should it be? Or do I just show the full footage?
Reply 1
It sounds like the most relevant things you have are the adverts and the short film. What you should do is take all the best bits from those things and edit them together into one sequence. It doesn't have to make sense (I know mine didn't) because the idea is just to demonstrate your technical skills.

Different unis ask for different lengths of showreel (maximum five minutes to my experience), so if I were you I would make two cuts - a 2 minute version and a 5 minute version - and burn them to a DVD. If you know how to, give the DVD a menu so they can choose between the short or the long cut. If not, put them on seperate discs.

Bring along the best of your photography/art portfolio too, you might not need it but it could help.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending