The Student Room Group

Brother gets more student finance than me?!

---
(edited 13 years ago)
Are you final year? And how much is the difference? In your final year you get a few hundred pounds less as it's not intended to support you over the summer after you graduate. Not sure if the Welsh thing makes a difference.

That said, I've heard a few cases like this before, with no such explanation, and it makes me wonder how often ppl get the wrong amount from SF and don't question it, cos they don't have a sibling in identical circumstances to compare to.
Reply 2
Is he at a London uni?
Reply 3
Nope not final year...

Might just call them up and see. Although there is a risk that his might be lowered instead of mine increased :s-smilie:

Few hundred difference so quite a bit!!
Reply 4
not at london
Inflation could cover a little bit. Perhaps your parents earn slightly different amounts now as well, which could affect it.
Reply 6
I believe when more than 1 child is at university supported by the same parents/guardians anyone past the first one has a little cut off their household income to make up for the fact that the parents/guardians are probably supporting the first child with some money already.

Or something along those lines.
Reply 7
Original post by Gemma :)!
Inflation could cover a little bit. Perhaps your parents earn slightly different amounts now as well, which could affect it.

Yeah but you apply for finance each year, don't you? So that wouldn't affect it.
Reply 8
call em up?
Original post by alexs2602
Yeah but you apply for finance each year, don't you? So that wouldn't affect it.

Oh sorry I misunderstood oops!

It does - when they slightly alter the boundaires for who gets what each year - your boundaries stay the same so in 2009 the boundary to get 3k might have been income of £25,000 - this year it's £30,000 so even if the guys parents still earn £27,000 that would mean his brother gets 3k and he only gets 2k.

Same thing happened with my brother and me he started in 2007 and I started in 2009 and we got radically different amount of money because they'd changed all the income boundaries.
Original post by The_Goose
It does - when they slightly alter the boundaries for who gets what each year - your boundaries stay the same so in 2009 the boundary to get 3k might have been income of £25,000 - this year it's £30,000 so even if the guys parents still earn £27,000 that would mean his brother gets 3k and he only gets 2k.

Same thing happened with my brother and me he started in 2007 and I started in 2009 and we got radically different amount of money because they'd changed all the income boundaries.

That sounds crazy. I can see why the might do that this year with the huge fee increases but they were quite minor in the past.
In terms of grants, SFW have changed their system from 2010 entries onwards.
If you started your course in 2009, then you will be on the "old system" where the max grant is £2,960. On the new system that max is £5k.
As far as I am aware, the income boundaries have stayed the same.
Income boundaries have been frozen for 3 years now.
That sounds crazy. I can see why the might do that this year with the huge fee increases but they were quite minor in the past.

It was a bit. My Dad rung them up and told them it was stupid and they just said that was the system.

My guess is that his parents income falls just above the 2009 bracket and just below the 2011 bracket
Original post by The_Goose
It was a bit. My Dad rung them up and told them it was stupid and they just said that was the system.

My guess is that his parents income falls just above the 2009 bracket and just below the 2011 bracket

So what would happen if two siblings applied this year for their first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending