The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by gethsemane342
Well, as you probably know, I convinced myself I was going to fail tort last year and the only reason I wasn't in tears after the paper was because it was my last one and because I was relieved that I could take a stab at 4 questions. And it was nowhere near as bad as I thought. Tort's random like that. You may have done better than you thought you have (and I bet you have!)

I'm bricking land. I spent 2 hours forcing Stack v Dowden into my head and I *still* don't understand it. Not completely. I'm just going to do the question and decide randomly which approach I prefer, probably depending on my mood... And adverse possession is the most awful thing on this green Earth!

Thanks! Perhaps it's not so bad.

Re Stack, I think there's three points to take away--if this helps at all. I expect you already have these straight, but sometimes it's good to lean towards ruthless simplification in the interests of clarity.
1. The court presumes the equitable interests follow the legal ownership
2. This presumption is rebuttable, but requires strong evidence--on the facts of Stack, the separate accounts kept by Stack and Dowden and careful separation of affairs rebutted the presumption.
3. Context is everything.

Give me a ring if you need to re Stack, but within the next half or so--I think I have a pretty good grasp of it (unlike plenty of other stuff in land), so perhaps I can help.

(The guy who wrote the book TWW recommended interviewed me at Lincoln College in the other place--absolutely destroyed me.)

Also, try here: http://login.westlaw.co.uk/maf/wluk/app/document?&src=rl&srguid=ia744d0650000013061a5656dcd7a20b3&docguid=IE11310E062E911E0995F8ABFD236DAED&hitguid=IE11310E062E911E0995F8ABFD236DAED&spos=1&epos=1&td=13&crumb-action=append&context=4&resolvein=true

And here: http://login.westlaw.co.uk/maf/wluk/app/document?&src=rl&srguid=ia744d0640000013061a5f06c64a13b1f&docguid=IFE8677F15E6811E090EA89A3987631E1&hitguid=IFE8677F15E6811E090EA89A3987631E1&spos=1&epos=1&td=1&crumb-action=append&context=8&resolvein=true
Reply 581
Original post by ukebert
Single digits? Blimey. I've never gone below 20% (although I've been down to the low twenties twice and probably will once more, given how badly my second exam went).

According to my supervisor a few years ago they screwed up with the normalisation of marks for NST IB Maths with the result that they lost the tens digit on all results so everyone got single digit marks (for a while) :p:
Definetely failed IB chemistry A on friday... got the next one on wednesday which will be even worse. Here's to praying I get a high 2:1 or even a first in Chem B to salvage my year...
Reply 583
Original post by Gesar
It's now that I start listing all the topics in my head that I've dropped (mostly Rep Theory ones), and wishing I'd bothered to learn them more, despite the fact they've never come up. We shall see!

I've finally been hit by slight worry. If every course I've done examines bits I've missed out, I'm screwed. Now, they couldn't all do that for everything, but one exam sat doing nothing would be the worst thing ever:p:
Reply 584
Original post by Slumpy
I've finally been hit by slight worry. If every course I've done examines bits I've missed out, I'm screwed. Now, they couldn't all do that for everything, but one exam sat doing nothing would be the worst thing ever:p:

Heh. If every course examines the bits I can accurately remember, I'm not screwed. Otherwise... :tongue:

Anyways, good night!
Ooooooooh, nerves!
Reply 586
Original post by Slumpy

Heh, I did massive amounts of tactical revising this year. Worked for most of it. Except Fluids 1, but that was a stupidly hard paper anyway, so it'll bumped up. I hope.
Reply 587
Original post by illusionz
Definetely failed IB chemistry A on friday... got the next one on wednesday which will be even worse. Here's to praying I get a high 2:1 or even a first in Chem B to salvage my year...

I thought this next one would be easier and gave myself the rest of Friday, yesterday and most of today off. Turns out it's actually harder :angry:
Had a sleepless night. Gaps in my revision plagued my thoughts, and I couldn't clear my mind. On the plus side, I managed to plug some of those gaps on my own without getting up, so if it comes up in the exam I'll know it...
Original post by Zygroth
I thought this next one would be easier and gave myself the rest of Friday, yesterday and most of today off. Turns out it's actually harder :angry:

Electrons in solids is the most retarded course I've ever done. MELT is ok but so many equations. It would have been ok if Stephen Jenkins had any sort of idea what level of detail 2nd years are capable of learning in one lecture...
Original post by illusionz
Electrons in solids is the most retarded course I've ever done. MELT is ok but so many equations. It would have been ok if Stephen Jenkins had any sort of idea what level of detail 2nd years are capable of learning in one lecture...

I quite like it! Still not actually looking forward to the exam of course...
Lunch breaks should most definitely NOT take 2 hours long....
Reply 592
Original post by ArchedEdge

I know that feeling... I have it now :p:
Reply 593
zhen lin

Was the Galois one really hard or really easy? :p: I'm assuming I did it wrong as I never seem to get those questions right, but it'd be nice to know so my inner OCD is satisfied.
Original post by ArchedEdge

3 hours since this mornings exam, all I've done is walk home via Sainsburys, have lunch and chat/procrastinate. Reeeeally need to do some revision for tomorrow now :frown:
Original post by ClaireW2708
3 hours since this mornings exam, all I've done is walk home via Sainsburys, have lunch and chat/procrastinate. Reeeeally need to do some revision for tomorrow now :frown:

Nahh too late now :p: Just relax....
Original post by Gesar
Was the Galois one really hard or really easy? :p: I'm assuming I did it wrong as I never seem to get those questions right, but it'd be nice to know so my inner OCD is satisfied.

Yes, it was easy. It took a little thought to find the counterexample at the end though.

I heard that someone became hysterical when they announced the "correction" for the Representation Theory question though...
Reply 597
Original post by TheUnbeliever

Original post by TheUnbeliever
I attended a single term's lectures last year, entirely didn't understand physics (which was something like 28% of my grade) to the tune of a single-digit mark on the exam, physically lost about a third of my portfolio, and stopped going to practicals and some supervisions by partway into exam term. I still passed.

(I don't recommend this approach, I was in a bad place at the time. :p:)

That's quite a situation, though I bet you revised even a bit? Honestly, I'm starting my revision today for exams which begin on Wednesday...things are looking altogether inauspicious:frown:
Original post by jfox223
That's quite a situation, though I bet you revised even a bit? Honestly, I'm starting my revision today for exams which begin on Wednesday...things are looking altogether inauspicious:frown:

You'd be surprised at how common this actually is - I only yesterday finished learning new stuff for Wednesday morning's exam.
Reply 599
Original post by alex_hk90

Original post by alex_hk90
You'd be surprised at how common this actually is - I only yesterday finished learning new stuff for Wednesday morning's exam.

As longggg as I get back in, I'm content with whatever mark achieved:frown: I shall exercise my cramming faculties forthwith:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending