The Student Room Group

What if I fail at Uni this year?

Yes I know I messed up bad, yes I know it's all my fault, yes I know I should have just worked harder, yes I know I couldn't have picked a worse year to do this, yes I know I'm an idiot, yes I know I could just work hard from now until my exams and hope for the best, yes I know I may still pass by some miracle.

I'm unsure whether I will pass my Uni exams this year but I'm more sure that I will fail, I'm in my first year. If I knew I was definitely going to fail I would just drop out before the exams and wouldn't be making this thread. If I knew I could just revise and pass I wouldn't be worried, so I wouldn't be making this thread. First of all, the Uni fees are going up so it really becomes a financial headache. Add to that the fact that living out costs a bunch, it could end up costing 16k per year at Uni. Second of all, having that mark of "First year Uni failure" can't look too nice on a Uni application even if my A level grades were very good.

I'm at a good Uni right now, so reapplying with that label of failure attached would land me somewhere quite a bit worse than I am now while having to pay 3 times as much for tuition fees, going through clearing would probably land me somewhere significantly worse than where I am now but would only cost me as much as I am paying now for tuition fees. What I'm basically asking is what are my options and which is the best one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apprenticeship.
Original post by CarlHanson
Yes I know I messed up bad, yes I know it's all my fault, yes I know I should have just worked harder, yes I know I couldn't have picked a worse year to do this, yes I know I'm an idiot, yes I know I could just work hard from now until my exams and hope for the best, yes I know I may still pass by some miracle.

I'm unsure whether I will pass my Uni exams this year but I'm more sure that I will fail, I'm in my first year. If I knew I was definitely going to fail I would just drop out before the exams and wouldn't be making this thread. If I knew I could just revise and pass I wouldn't be worried, so I wouldn't be making this thread. First of all, the Uni fees are going up so it really becomes a financial headache. Add to that the fact that living out costs a bunch, it could end up costing 16k per year at Uni. Second of all, having that mark of "First year Uni failure" can't look too nice on a Uni application even if my A level grades were very good.

I'm at a good Uni right now, so reapplying with that label of failure attached would land me somewhere quite a bit worse than I am now while having to pay 3 times as much for tuition fees, going through clearing would probably land me somewhere significantly worse than where I am now but would only cost me as much as I am paying now for tuition fees. What I'm basically asking is what are my options and which is the best one?

Just redo the year - if you ask nicely and you fail epicly enough they'll just let you redo it and student finance covers an extra year for those people that drop out and then reapply or have to redo a year so you're fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Try being in my shoes - no revision and I'm in my thid year - not allowed to redo that one at my uni!
Reply 3
Original post by Faustus Fotherby
Just redo the year - if you ask nicely and you fail epicly enough they'll just let you redo it and student finance covers an extra year for those people that drop out and then reapply or have to redo a year so you're fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Try being in my shoes - no revision and I'm in my thid year - not allowed to redo that one at my uni!

I doubt they'll let me redo the year though, especially if I fail THAT badly which is entirely possible.
Reply 4

Just. Get off TSR, lock yourself in your room and revise! Just do it! You WILL pass! I promise! But you have to start revising this INSTANT! Go!
Reply 5
I doubt they'll let me redo the year though, especially if I fail THAT badly which is entirely possible.

What about summer resits?
Reply 6
Original post by Miss G

Original post by Miss G
Just. Get off TSR, lock yourself in your room and revise! Just do it! You WILL pass! I promise! But you have to start revising this INSTANT! Go!

Haha do you have the same optimism for me with my first 3 hour exam being on Tuesday morning?
Reply 7
Original post by Number6
What about summer resits?

If I fail my initial exams badly enough, I can't do summer resits.

My friend failed everything and barely handed in coursework in - they just let him redo the whole year and that was just a foundation year - you have to remember that as long as you're not causing the university too much grief and taking up a ton of resources then you redoing a year is ultimately just more money for them.

It's like when people miss their conditional grades - you ring up and ask to be let in anyway and the uni will likely let you because (if they've got space) they'd rather have someone who REALLY wanted to go there and thus give them more money for three years than someone who had to choose it through clearing where they don't have much time to make a decision and haven't had a chance to see the uni - thus they're more likely to drop out and not give the uni money for three years.

It's all about the moneeeeey! My friend failed his second year Law degree and they just let him redo it all - another friend failed his final year architecture and while they didn't let him redo they just made him resubmit new coursework till his grade got up to a passable standard.

Do not fret! You'll be fine! Just plead hard.
Reply 9
If I fail my initial exams badly enough, I can't do summer resits.

Then get off TSR and revise :smile: and try not to fall into the trap of just stressing about your work and not doing any. Good luck!
Reply 10
My friend failed everything and barely handed in coursework in - they just let him redo the whole year and that was just a foundation year - you have to remember that as long as you're not causing the university too much grief and taking up a ton of resources then you redoing a year is ultimately just more money for them.

It's like when people miss their conditional grades - you ring up and ask to be let in anyway and the uni will likely let you because (if they've got space) they'd rather have someone who REALLY wanted to go there and thus give them more money for three years than someone who had to choose it through clearing where they don't have much time to make a decision and haven't had a chance to see the uni - thus they're more likely to drop out and not give the uni money for three years.

It's all about the moneeeeey! My friend failed his second year Law degree and they just let him redo it all - another friend failed his final year architecture and while they didn't let him redo they just made him resubmit new coursework till his grade got up to a passable standard.

Do not fret! You'll be fine! Just plead hard.

What Uni did they go to? I don't mean to sound like a pretentious (Insert swear, I don't know if we're allowed to swear), but I go to a pretty good Uni and the course is in a lot of demand.
What Uni did they go to? I don't mean to sound like a pretentious (Insert swear, I don't know if we're allowed to swear), but I go to a pretty good Uni and the course is in a lot of demand.

Kent Uni - was ranked 16th for Law the other year (though I admit overall the uni's a bit dodgy in quite a few other subjects) oh and it's research rating was better than Cambridge's (though how this helps undergrads is beyond me :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Number6
Then get off TSR and revise :smile: and try not to fall into the trap of just stressing about your work and not doing any. Good luck!

I know, I am revising I'm just on a break right now. Thank you.:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by SideSkip
Haha do you have the same optimism for me with my first 3 hour exam being on Tuesday morning?

Sure! You can get in about twenty hours of revision between now and then! Come on, guys! You can pass :smile: Just sit down and cram! But get some sleep before the exam :smile: And eat plenty of nuts and honey and drink plenty of water as they are really good exam foods :P
Reply 14
Kent Uni - was ranked 16th for Law the other year (though I admit overall the uni's a bit dodgy in quite a few other subjects) oh and it's research rating was better than Cambridge's (though how this helps undergrads is beyond me :tongue:)

My A level grades are pretty good, is there any hope in just calling up Uni admission offices? I VERY much doubt there is, but I have to analyse every option I have.
My A level grades are pretty good, is there any hope in just calling up Uni admission offices? I VERY much doubt there is, but I have to analyse every option I have.

No honestly if it turns out you do fail everything just get in contact with your faculty's office and beg hard and they'll definitely try and help you out - they're thinking of the money remember - not need to go to admissions or anything like that.
Reply 16
No honestly if it turns out you do fail everything just get in contact with your faculty's office and beg hard and they'll definitely try and help you out - they're thinking of the money remember - not need to go to admissions or anything like that.

Yeah.....about that. I'm not exactly in good with the faculties senior tutor. Honestly the more I think about this, the more I realise how badly I've messed up.
Yeah.....about that. I'm not exactly in good with the faculties senior tutor. Honestly the more I think about this, the more I realise how badly I've messed up.

Try talking to someone else? Dare I ask what you did to the senior tutor?
Reply 18
It's pretty difficult to fail 1st year. Even with zero effort you should be able to scrape a minimal pass - which Uni are you at?
Reply 19
Try talking to someone else? Dare I ask what you did to the senior tutor?

It's a long story, I didn't exactly do anything but he doesn't really like my attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending