The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Adidas90
also was this the london brahs meet ? any vids in general?

Yep. Quite a few vids recorded which I'm sure will be uploaded in the near future.

Thanks Monk, Jason also recorded it so he might get it uploaded too. :smile:
Reply 541
Sounded fun. Do another meet in like March/April or something. I should be there for that one and will have hopefully got my training ready for a new PB.
Reply 542
Original post by SMed
Sounded fun. Do another meet in like March/April or something. I should be there for that one and will have hopefully got my training ready for a new PB.

Yes we were talking about having one for Easter. Probably will.
Reply 543
Just looking, Easter will be cutting it close for a PB for me. My exam is late February. Easter gives me like 6 weeks I guess. It's possible. I'll go anyway even if I'm not PBing, but the later in April the better, but that might start to encroach on normal exam season for others.

(btw, I can no longer use the term 'PR' and must now use 'PB'. In medicine, PR means per rectum, or digital rectal exam.)

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 544
per bottom?

:awesome:

ps smed y u no train during exams? I PB all the time during exams lulz best procrastination going
Reply 545
per bottom?

:awesome:

ps smed y u no train during exams? I PB all the time during exams lulz best procrastination going

The gym is not a convenient place for me to get to on the best of days, unless I'm based at 1 particular hospital (which I'm not). Otherwise, it's like a minimum of 3-4 hours out of the day that I just don't have. I already spend 2-4 hours a day just travelling to and from campus because I live far away. Plus I have plenty of home commitments besides studies that I have to prioritise first. Training is luxury for me.

And I get so wrecked after training I can't concentrate well enough for good revision. This isn't such a big deal, because I could just maintain with a few heavy 1s, 2s or 3s. If my garage gym was cleared, I could just train at night before bed and crash. But my garage gym is inaccessible for the foreseeable future.

The good news is my project I'm doing after February IS at the good hospital with the gym. I'm there everyday for nearly 3 months. And they're getting an additional cage and barbell. And I won't be doing any more exams, just writing up my BSc project stuff. So training should go well from then.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 546
Original post by SMed
The gym is not a convenient place for me to get to on the best of days, unless I'm based at 1 particular hospital (which I'm not). Otherwise, it's like a minimum of 3-4 hours out of the day that I just don't have. I already spend 2-4 hours a day just travelling to and from campus because I live far away. Plus I have plenty of home commitments besides studies that I have to prioritise first. Training is luxury for me.

And I get so wrecked after training I can't concentrate well enough for good revision. This isn't such a big deal, because I could just maintain with a few heavy 1s, 2s or 3s. If my garage gym was cleared, I could just train at night before bed and crash. But my garage gym is inaccessible for the foreseeable future.

The good news is my project I'm doing after February IS at the good hospital with the gym. I'm there everyday for nearly 3 months. And they're getting an additional cage and barbell. And I won't be doing any more exams, just writing up my BSc project stuff. So training should go well from then.

Y'all are intercalating? Wut in?

I'm intercalating next year
Reply 547
Y'all are intercalating? Wut in?

I'm intercalating next year

Like Oxbridge, the iBSc is compulsory for Imperial medics. I'm doing mine in Endocrinology, and my project is in insulin resistance/T2DM and heart disease.
Reply 548
*leaving Michael's thread*

:creep:
I've only got the 175 attempt. Do you want it uploaded?
Also I can confirm that xyz has dem leg genetics
Original post by The Blind Monk
This was at the meet. I will have the vids up in a few days. I don't have the correct adaptor for my camera at home.

Cool yea please do so :P
Reply 552
Original post by redbuthotter
I've only got the 175 attempt. Do you want it uploaded?

Ehm, nah, that's okay. I'll wait for Monk to upload the one that I actually got. :P
Reply 554
Bench
102.5kg - 1x3 PR

Dips
20kg - 1x7, 1x8, 1x9 (yes weird...)

OHP
47.5kg - 3x8

Pull-ups (55 reps)
Wide: 1x11, 1x8
Neutral: 2x8 (wider than usual gym)
Chins: 1x8, 1x9
Wide: 1x3

Hammer Curls
2x?

Tricep Finisher

Pretty ****ing pleased with 102.5x3. I messed up the first rep as I got a little loose on triceps/lats and so I had to really muscle it up with no tension on triceps/lats. Second rep was 100x easier and the third rep felt okay too. I think it would have been a lot easier if I just had started off well. In any case, 3 reps is great.

Dips were odd. I thought I had 8 in the first set so I stopped (going for 3x8) but my friend said I got 7. So I got 8 in the second set but then I had some reserve energy for third set so just went and got 9. OHP was also fine. Pull-ups I increased to try get 55 reps total. Felt okay, new gym has a wider neutral grip but not much of a difference.
Reply 555
Deload session.

Nothing to really write about in terms of the session, just some light work. My left shoulder started giving me some pain for some reason... quite annoying really as I was doing very light weight.

I've been thinking about doing some kind of Westside thing. It doesn't look TOO dissimilar to what I do now so I think it could work quite well. The only issue the lack of variety at the gym I go to. Doesn't have chains and bands but neither did Westside in the early days so that's not TOO much of an issue. More of an issue is lacking things like boards, different types of bars which would really add some good variety to ME lifts.

I'm not sure as of yet. Will ask around and see if without that variety I wouldn't be able to do too well.
Reply 556
Deload session.

Just did squats, 100kg doubles for a few sets. Then some 100kg RDLs (low volume), bodyweight back raises and some abs.

Almost definitely will be trying out Westside after this week's deload.
Reply 557
Original post by Michael XYZ
Deload session.

Just did squats, 100kg doubles for a few sets. Then some 100kg RDLs (low volume), bodyweight back raises and some abs.

I know you want to deload but 100kg for a few doubles seems awfully light for your capabilities. Even if it is a deload.
Reply 558
Original post by GQ.
I know you want to deload but 100kg for a few doubles seems awfully light for your capabilities. Even if it is a deload.

A deload not in the sense I'm gonna work up from 100kg.

Just doing like 60-70% of what I would do normally.
Reply 559
Original post by Michael XYZ
Deload session.

Good stuff, be interesting to see how you progress when you change routine. Always good to see how routines work for 'normal' people, as opposed to elite athletes.

Quick Reply

Latest