Narrow-stance front squat
90kg - 3x3

Back Raise
BW - 3x20

Cable Abs
30.6 - 2x12

Sit-ups
5kg - 2x11

Boo-yah! 10kg PR on that since last week, no idea where I pulled that out from. I hit 200kg and it was tough but I didn't feel it was maximal and I had to go for 205kg. Hardest deadlift I've probably ever had to do - got stuck for like a good 5-10 seconds and my hamstrings were about to cramp up but I locked it out.

I've somehow got a right pec strain and it's rather annoying. Quite worried for Saturday because I'm not sure I'd want to push max effort and tear a pec or something like that. Hopefully it goes away. Will foam roll and stuff to help that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 601
ME Bench

1 block (~2") wide-grip bench press
Warm up
100kg - 1x1
110kg - 1x1
115kg - 1x1 PR
105kg - 1x2

- Started getting a lot of sharp pain in my right shoulder which effectively ****ed up the rest of this session -

JM Press
60kg - 1x3

Cable Tricep Extensions
50 - 1x13, 1x10, 1x8, 1x7, 1x8

Seated Rows
11 - 3x15

Hammer Curls
17.5kg - 2x9

The block press is just a board press really but I don't have ACTUAL boards to use so was creative lol. It's 2" I'd say, a 1-board is 2x4 so 1.5", therefore it's like a 1.5 board press.

Very happy with hitting 115kg on it. Decided then to get a bit more volume (3+ reps over 90%) so did 105kg. First rep wasn't bad so went for another. A few seconds later started feeling sharp pain in my right shoulder (usually I get pain in my left shoulder, very rarely my right). Really pissed off and meant I couldn't really do JM press, high inclines or pull-ups.

Decided I'd just do some tricep extensions instead as I could, and then seated rows. Finished off with some hammer curls.

I'm hoping this is gonna go. ****. I was so worried about my pec strain and that went away but now I get this out of nowhere. So annoyed.
You seem to have an imabalance between the amount of pushing and pulling you do, which would go at least some of the way to explaining the pain you're in.
Reply 603
Original post by The Blind Monk
You seem to have an imabalance between the amount of pushing and pulling you do, which would go at least some of the way to explaining the pain you're in.

Explain.

Do you mean overall or on my bench days? I only did 3 sets because my shoulder was still a pain. Usually I do 5-6 sets of pull-ups/rows. Not sure how much more I could do.
Most of your volume is in vertical pulling so more rows/rear delts/external rotator stuff would probably help. As might scap pushups/making sure your scaps move. Those two seem to make more of a difference wrt shoulder pain for me (at least right now)
He means both. You're doing a ****load of pressing and then doing a set of rows/chins at the end of your workout. Do more face pulls and throw in another set of rows and chins when you do them. And do your pulls straight after your first press on your upper days. For example on WS4SB DeFranco has you doing face pulls as soon as you jump off the bench.

Also do more rotator cuff exercises if your shoulder is hurting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 606
Most of your volume is in vertical pulling so more rows/rear delts/external rotator stuff would probably help. As might scap pushups/making sure your scaps move. Those two seem to make more of a difference wrt shoulder pain for me (at least right now)

It's about equal on the vertical and rows - both 5/6 sets really.

I'll do some rear delt work and external rotator cuff work on off days though. Still, there's never really gonna be a balance. Pushing is gonna inherently be a lot more common. I'm not exactly gonna start doing 15 sets of pull-ups/rows to balance it.

And I do rehab stuff outside the gym. Just at times I get a bit lazy and stop doing things like that and foam rolling. These kind of injuries always hit me and make me remember that there's a good reason why I gotta stick to them.
Reply 607
DE Squat/Deadlift

Squat
100kg - 8x2

Deadlift
110kg - 8x1

Cable Abs
4x?

**** **** **** **** ****! This teaches me to not be lazy with shoulder work ever again... not much I can say. I did the bare minimum and some abs. I was watching the tennis so I went there late and, either way, I wasn't really gonna do much today. My shoulder feels **** and it's actually really quite bad this time. Bought some ibuprofen, using biofreeze and hopefully some rest tomorrow should mean it feels better for tuesday.

Dunno for tuesday. If it's like this, no way I can bench or OHP or any of that.
If your shoulder hurts, try not using your pinky to grip the bar when you squat.
Reply 609
If your shoulder hurts, try not using your pinky to grip the bar when you squat.

I just widened my grip massively and it was fine. Deadlifts were painful to get down and get initial hold but after that no pain.

Still, my main problem is for Tuesday. Can't do anything.

When should I try some rehab stuff for shoulders? When the pain is pretty much all gone or is it okay to do shoulder dislocates/that kind of thing even if it hurts a bit?
I don't think there's ever a bad time to be doing stuff like dislocates. The pain tends to go away after the joint is warmed up/movement is restored.
Reply 611
Okay. Right now it's far too painful though. Getting my right arm to the top is hell, let alone moving it back.
Reply 612
Original post by Michael XYZ
Okay. Right now it's far too painful though. Getting my right arm to the top is hell, let alone moving it back.

i had that once, it was due to me being a faggot and sleeping on my arm ;(
Reply 613
Yes I don't think this is the same thing lol.
Reply 614
DE Bench (deload)

Rows
? - 6x?

Tricep Extensions
? - 5x10

Hammer Curls
? - 2x?

Face Pulls
? - 3x?

Well, I couldn't bench however light. I warmed up with bar and it just didn't feel good. Got to 60kg and nah, wasn't gonna be stupid and continue so I stopped before I snapped all my **** up (been watching too much Hodgetwins).

Decided all I could do was rows and tricep extensions so I did 3 variations of rows (DB and cable) for 6 sets total then did 5x10 one-arm cable extensions just holding onto the cable. I like it, will continue to do those. Then did some hammer curls and face pulls.

Also did a bunch of shoulder rehab stuff that I was hoping would help me bench but didn't. It's from Diesel Crew website - some 2 minute warm-up doing YTWLs etc. and also did some DB pro/retractions.

Feeling weird right now. My bench has had a great period of great gains I feel, and now it seems is the time that **** is gonna go down (literally). Hopefully this gets better soon and I don't start getting weaker or anything. I was really hoping to get some work in for bench, just to keep the movement there.
Reply 615
ME Squat/Deadlift (deload)

Squat
140kg - 2x1

Romanian Deadlift
100kg - 3x10

Cable Abs
4x10

Bunch of shoulder rehab work

Not much to say, just deloading. Hoping all the shoulder rehab work is gonna help with recovery and that after Saturday I should be back and hitting some PRs. Shoulder feeling better and better every day but still nowhere near gone.
Reply 616
ME Bench (Deload)

1 block bench press
80kg - 2x1

Seated Rows
4x?

Lat Pulldowns
2x?

Cable Tricep Extensions
5x10

Face Pulls
3x?

Shoulder rehab work (DB re/protractions, RC stuff etc.)

Shoulder still not feeling good to do bench press to be honest. I think if this is the case, doing everything on blocks till it gets better is wise. Did quite a lot of sets on the bar to get blood into shoulders and everything which did kinda help the pain subside but it was still there. Decided to just do 2 singles on 80kg. Nothing difficult, of course, but it wasn't really painful which is a good sign.

Doing pull-ups is very painful so just doing seated rows and lat pulldowns actually weren't too bad. Using this time to get some more volume in for rows. Then did some tricep extensions 'cause they are easy on the shoulders and then a ton of shoulder rehab work. Hopefully it will help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 617
DE Squat/Deadlift

Wide-stance parallel box squat
90kg - 15x2

Deadlift
100kg - 8x1

Close-stance good morning
90kg - 3x6

Leg extension superset with leg curl
Leg extension - 35 - 3x12
Leg curl - 45 - 3x12

Cable Abs
26.1kg - 3x15

Shoulder rehab stuff

****ing hell. Definitely one of the hardest and thus most enjoyable lower body session in quite a while. 15 doubles on parallel box squats is ****ing tough - especially when rest is meant to be 45 seconds max! I know realise just how much. My form the first time I tried them was **** because I didn't really push back continuously and really kill my lower back and hamstrings. This time rounds I did, and it's ****ing painful. Was so happy when I finished lol. Then did some lighter than usual deadlifts - wanted to keep speed high but the "normal" weight would have been slower as hamstrings/lower back were dead.

Then did some heavy good mornings. I've done 95kg for 3x6 before but 90kg was still quite hard considering what I did before. Then I decided to do 3 sets of leg extensions superset with leg curls. ****ing tough but nice feeling. Then finished it off with some ab work and shoulder rehab work.

This is an "accumulation" block btw. I've been reading more (thread on T-Nation) and the whole point is you do way more sets on DE days for speed bench/squat and ME work is taken to 3-5RM instead of a single. This is gonna be nice for my bench because my shoulder still not feeling great so nicer to do like 90kg than 110kg+ for a single. I'll have to figure out the logistics of it though - like how many weeks this and how many weeks "intensification" block.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 618
what was wrong with 5/3/1? lol.........It looks like your over-complicating your training IMO
Reply 619
Original post by Gallium
what was wrong with 5/3/1? lol.........It looks like your over-complicating your training IMO

1. I've never done 5/3/1. What I did before was just similar to it in terms of exercises but not reps/sets.

2. This is westside method. It's not really complicated although you have to think more about what to do as opposed to Starting Strength or something. I prefer this way of training, and this method seems very suited to that.

Quick Reply

Latest