The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
My OHP is ridiculously weak. I think it's mainly an issue with my right shoulder. It keeps hurting every once in a while.

Playing sports like badminton don't help either.

I think for OHP 60 is considered strong for most people, because most people don't press.

Attempted 55, got two. Feelsbadman.
Reply 61
My PR is 55x4. I hope to beat it very soon - my goal for the year is to get like 65 x 5.
Reply 62
Are your heaviest sets, 1 set of 5 reps? As opposed to SS which is 3 sets of 5 for heaviest?

So you're bench is 85kg for 5 reps but 1 set?
Reply 63
Original post by Herculean
Are your heaviest sets, 1 set of 5 reps? As opposed to SS which is 3 sets of 5 for heaviest?

So you're bench is 85kg for 5 reps but 1 set?

Yes. Madcows had 5 sets but ramping weights up so you keep raising until final set which should be 5RM etc.
Reply 64
Btw mike, my oly coach had a clean and jerk of 185 but could only strict press 59kg 1rm.

Strict press aint so srs, i wouldn't worry about it progressing too fast for now.
Reply 65
What... the... ****?

Jerks 185kg but strict press 59kg? That surely can't be possible?
Reply 66
What... the... ****?

I thought that, but yes, yes it is. Two different forms of strength i guess (i dunt kno science) but explosive and w/e i wish i could back this statement up with science, but i watched him so lol.
Original post by Binkles
I thought that, but yes, yes it is. Two different forms of strength i guess (i dunt kno science) but explosive and w/e i wish i could back this statement up with science, but i watched him so lol.

I guess a proper jerk is not so much about being able to move the bar upwards with your upper body as being able to shift it slightly and get under it.
Reply 68
Friday

Squat - 135x3
Bench - 85x3
Row - 65x3x5
Dips - 10x8,5,5

Squats were really difficult. Going to be hard to get 5 reps out of it on Monday. Bench was also fairly hard but do-able. If I don't get 85x5 I may just quit lifting.

Had to do rows for 65kg because couldn't find 1.25kg plates. The owner is a complete prick! I asked him to help me find them and he says "Yes I don't care about some 1.25kg plates...". Really feel like quitting this gym but I don't know any others around that are decent. Need to buy some of my own plates.
Reply 69
Monday

Squat - 135x5
Bench - 85x5
Row - 62.5x3x5
Skullcrushers - 26x3x8

Yes mother ****ers! New PR on bench press - finally! After two deloads I finally crack 85x5. Was hard though and my form really went to ****. I need to focus a lot more on it - last few reps I was just doing anything to get it up and not thinking about form at all.

Squats were really difficult. I don't want to jinx it but it's likely that I'll have to deload soon. Rows I put down a little just to make sure I was doing them decently well.

Also, since last Monday (or so) I've been on a cut. Not really counting calories or even my weight but just eating lean chicken, turkey, other meats, fish and low carbs. Having a cheat day once or twice a week as I've heard it helps. Not really bothered to track my weight every day or anything but if I think I look leaner and I'm getting stronger then it's all going well.
Monday

Squat - 135x5
Bench - 85x5
Row - 62.5x3x5
Skullcrushers - 26x3x8

Yes mother ****ers! New PR on bench press - finally! After two deloads I finally crack 85x5. Was hard though and my form really went to ****. I need to focus a lot more on it - last few reps I was just doing anything to get it up and not thinking about form at all.

Squats were really difficult. I don't want to jinx it but it's likely that I'll have to deload soon. Rows I put down a little just to make sure I was doing them decently well.

Also, since last Monday (or so) I've been on a cut. Not really counting calories or even my weight but just eating lean chicken, turkey, other meats, fish and low carbs. Having a cheat day once or twice a week as I've heard it helps. Not really bothered to track my weight every day or anything but if I think I look leaner and I'm getting stronger then it's all going well.

Good job! I have lost inch of waist line already.I was on 32 now hanging btw. 31-30. ROFL which is good ;D
Reply 71
Original post by ibysaiyan
Good job! I have lost inch of waist line already.I was on 32 now hanging btw. 31-30. ROFL which is good ;D

Well done. Not sure how I'm getting along but if anything it should be better than eating pizzas and other crap all the time.
Reply 72
Nice progress
Reply 73
Thanks.

Wednesday

OHP - 55x3
Deadlift - 137.5x5

Very short session as I have two exams tomorrow so wanted to revise more for them. Failed to get 5 reps for OHP which is disappointing. I think after tomorrow (last exams) I might change up routine and go high frequency - go gym 5x/week at least. I think my pressing is weak due to the low volume. Being on Wednesday I'm meant to only do 4 sets. Just doesn't seem enough really.

Deadlift was okay. It was fairly difficult but still going strong. I think it's a mental thing - I've never failed at deadlifts so I'm a lot more confident I'll get it.

Also, belt arrived today so on Friday I might use it and see how it goes.
Reply 74
Something I thought I might mention to you regarding your DLing. We have quite similar lifts although you probably squat slightly more. My dead too was really poor and I was finding it a really awkward feeling lift..like, it felt like I was stooping really low to get into the starting position..maybe just my proportions I don't know. I switched to sumo but srsly it makes a tiny difference to ROM, not like ultra wide tiny ROM sumo, basically just same width legs but I grip the bar between my legs rather than outside of it. 5 rep dead went up by about 20kg there and then, and that was on a bar with no knurling, probably get even more when on a proper bar. Might be worth giving it a go
Reply 75
Original post by Binkles
Btw mike, my oly coach had a clean and jerk of 185 but could only strict press 59kg 1rm.

Strict press aint so srs, i wouldn't worry about it progressing too fast for now.

What... the... ****?

I don't know if I can believe that. In fact I don't believe it. I used to think that oly lifts were some sort of "elite" thing that were a different kind of strength blah blah, after reading some articles by some coach (cant remember who) who was saying that if his athletes could jerk 180+ but couldn't press a plate..he didn't care. But this just doesn't happen. Out of interest on the topic I looked up some randoms in oly lifting, for example (cant remember who) think it was someone who competed in the low 80s/high 70s BW..when he did actually have a go at benching (like once every few years for a laugh), could still bench 150/160kg with nothing more than a t shirt and his good intentions. Sort of put things into perspective about the level of strength these guys possess, even in things they never train.
Reply 76
Original post by Adidas90
Something I thought I might mention to you regarding your DLing. We have quite similar lifts although you probably squat slightly more. My dead too was really poor and I was finding it a really awkward feeling lift..like, it felt like I was stooping really low to get into the starting position..maybe just my proportions I don't know. I switched to sumo but srsly it makes a tiny difference to ROM, not like ultra wide tiny ROM sumo, basically just same width legs but I grip the bar between my legs rather than outside of it. 5 rep dead went up by about 20kg there and then, and that was on a bar with no knurling, probably get even more when on a proper bar. Might be worth giving it a go

Hmm.

I dunno. A lot of lifters use the "normal" stance so I'm sure there must be some benefit to it. In fact, I'm quite surprised at how few use sumo for powerlifting when the whole point is to reduce ROM (wide stance in squat, huge arc in bench).
Reply 77
Hmm.

I dunno. A lot of lifters use the "normal" stance so I'm sure there must be some benefit to it. In fact, I'm quite surprised at how few use sumo for powerlifting when the whole point is to reduce ROM (wide stance in squat, huge arc in bench).

I don't think wide stance in squat is the amazing thing I used to think it was. From what I've gathered, wide stance squatting is usually multiply suited. Have you ever gone really wide with just a belt? You feel weak as phuck at the bottom cos it's all on the hips/adductors..zilch quad involvement. Alot of people I've spoke to are stronger when they bring their stance in, raw that is.
Adidas90

Wide stance squatting/sumo-ing beats the **** out of your hips out of a while. I did what you were describing (semi-sumo deads like Ed Coan) but tweaked my hip so I'm now deadlifting conventionally. I think it helps to mix it up in 8-12 week phases. The semi sumo is nice because you have most of the strength off the floor you get with conventionals but you can't just keep rounding forever to try and heave weights from a dead stop. If that makes sense.
Reply 79
Original post by The Blind Monk
Wide stance squatting/sumo-ing beats the **** out of your hips out of a while. I did what you were describing (semi-sumo deads like Ed Coan) but tweaked my hip so I'm now deadlifting conventionally. I think it helps to mix it up in 8-12 week phases. The semi sumo is nice because you have most of the strength off the floor you get with conventionals but you can't just keep rounding forever to try and heave weights from a dead stop. If that makes sense.

Yes exactly like Ed Coan I suppose, rather than ultra wide sumo where people have their feet basically a centimetre from touching the plates. How often were you DLing to tweak your hip? I imagine if you were doing it fairly often the hips might not recover so well, but I only really DL like every 10 days or so. I don't understand your last sentence

Quick Reply

Latest