The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I think 5x5 or something still helps hypertrophy. In the end my main goal is strength but you want size for that too.

It's probably harder, overall, to maintain good form for high reps. At least the way I do it - not some bro press where you just lay down and squeeze the muscle blah blah. That's easy.

As I said, I'd have to think about rep range. Maybe alternate that too!
you're such a powerlifter
Reply 782
Original post by Michael XYZ
It's probably harder, overall, to maintain good form for high reps. At least the way I do it - not some bro press where you just lay down and squeeze the muscle blah blah. That's easy.

Is it? I see BBers doing 10+ reps with 3 plates sometimes in my gym. Doesn't seem easy to me. Being all about maximal muscle stimulation seems to me to be just as difficult (but different) to being about shifting maximal weight over a defined movement.
Reply 783
screw doing the bench press for size!
Reply 784
Original post by RawJoh1
Is it? I see BBers doing 10+ reps with 3 plates sometimes in my gym. Doesn't seem easy to me. Being all about maximal muscle stimulation seems to me to be just as difficult (but different) to being about shifting maximal weight over a defined movement.

I didn't exactly mean proper lifters with "bro press". Me saying that is the kind of typical guy who benches 100kg for a few reps (maybe!) and is doing like 70kg and he just lies down and that's it. No setup etc.
Reply 785
But Mikey your bench form isn't good anyway...

Also what's with being so negative about how others train? Thought you didn't care?
Reply 786
I think it's good for a single which is why something like 5x5 MIGHT be better; it means it's still heavy enough to then help me stay tight for those 5 reps. If I can do that then I should be able to do well with doubles and triples and then that's all that matters.

It's not exactly negative - just laughing at it.
Reply 787
Fair enough.

I train 5x5 for bench. I think its quite good. Did 92.5kg 5x5 the other day. Quite please with that.
Reply 788
DE Bench

Bench
65kg - 15x3

DB Bench
30kg - 1x16, 1x14

DB Press
20kg - 1x10, 1x8

DB Extensions
10kg - 1x8, 2x6 (seriously... what?)

Pull-ups
BW - 1x7, 1x6

Chin-ups
BW - 1x6, 1x5

Seated Row
8 - 2x13

Face Pulls
3x10

Curls
4x?

I'm back baby! Quite a bit weaker, especially on accessory work because I haven't done a lot of these in a while. DB extensions, even though only 10kg, were damn hard! It seems far too weak for me to be failing at that but I did.

Bench was okay. Speed wasn't great but I was focused more on technique. I think I have a very hard time keeping my shoulders back with a closer-grip. When I went pinkies on the ring it was fine and I could maintain it. To me that suggests it may be better if I stick with wide for pressing. Although wide puts more stress on shoulders so does going closer and pushing your shoulders forward so... I don't know. Obviously working on mobility. Did like 10 minute mob stuff beforehand.

Plan is to hit 2 sets of flat and 2 sets of shoulder press with dumbbell work. I like it. One max effort bench I plan to go heavy on the OHP and that should help slowly build my OHP strength.
Reply 789
ME Squat/Deadlift

Block Pull (*)
180kg - 1x5

Oly Squat
100kg - 3x10

Lying Leg Curl
8 - 1x9, 1x8, 1x6

Leg Extension superset w/ Sit-ups
55 - 3x12 // 5kg - 1x12, 2x10

(*) Got two yoga mats and folded them and put the bar on top of that. I'm not sure, maybe 3" off the ground? 180x5 is a bit meh really but my deadlift has dropped off since I stopped training properly. I think speed pulls are key to my deadlift so hopefully should recover once I start doing them.

Rest was okay. Oly squats weren't really hard but 3x10 is just killing when it's so hot and after heavy deadlifts. The heat was really ****ing annoying... then did some leg curls, extensions and sit-ups. All fairly okay I suppose. Nearly felt a cramp in my abs from the sit-ups but persevered thinking about Rocky doing sit-ups. :smile:
Reply 790
180x5 off 3" is pretty good man, i failed a 170kg deadlfit off 16" boxes ;(

i feel you about the heat, i rather be doing other things then lifting in this weather lol
Reply 791
It's okay but I've definitely lost some pulling strength.

Gym is getting ridiculous though. Even with using the mats and dropping it it's an issue. So essentially they're telling me I can't deadlift heavy because of course I'm not going to drop it lightly...

They bought these purple foam blocks EXACTLY for this reason and now they're saying that even those are no good. Really need to find another gym.
Reply 792
ME Bench

Wide-Grip Pause Bench
95kg - 1x4

OHP
50kg - 3x7

V-Bar Pushdowns
65 - 1x9, 1x8, 1x6

Bent-over BB Row
60kg - 1x10
70kg - 1x8
75kg - 1x8
80kg - 1x8

Lat Pulldowns
8 - 2x12

Face Pulls
2x?

Cable Rope Curls
35 - 2x10
25 - 1x15

Shoulder Prehab

Well the bench is a bit annoying. I think it's equalling a PR I've set already which, okay, I haven't lifted properly in a while but my form was shoddy. Same issues, mixture of a terrible bench and my form collapsing. Not sure what to do really. Trying to get the mob work but that'll take time I suppose. Just an issue also of remembering to do everything - leg drive, bend the bar, keep the arch, tuck etc.

Happy with the OHP though. Not big weight but good for me. Rows were with rather loose form. I'm gonna try get decent weight on and use momentum more. I don't know why but just to test it out. Many, many strong lifters out there seem to do it like this so maybe it'll work for me too. Rest was decent.
Reply 793
DE Squat/Deadlift

Squat
100kg - 9x2
110kg - 6x2

Deadlift
125kg - 8x1

DB Swings
17.5kg - 3x20

Seated Leg Curl
35 - 2x10

Back Raise
10kg - 1x15

Sit-ups
BW - 2x20

Quite a lot of pain around my ankles. Not really ankles but the area a bit above it. Pushed through but it was rather painful and it did mean I couldn't go as fast as I could have. Decided to keep it a bit different today and did some DB swings. Not sure how good form is but my hamstrings and lower back were sore for sure. Then some light leg curls and a set of back raises just for fun. Did some high rep sit-ups instead of weighted for no real reason.
Reply 794
Forgot to log Tuesday.

DE Bench

Bench
65kg - 15x3

DB Bench
30kg - 1x17, 1x15

DB V. Steep Incline
20kg - 1x11, 1x8

DB Extensions
10kg - 1x13, 1x9, 1x10

Pull-ups
BW - 1x7, 1x6

Chin-ups
BW - 1x7, 1x5

Seated Rows
9 - 2x12

EZ Curls
30kg + bar - 3x10

Not much to note about this day. Last portion of sets for speed bench were a bit annoying to do as my elbows and triceps didn't feel very good. Depending on how I feel next week I may just do less sets for them to recover a bit better.
Reply 795
ME Squat/Deadlift

Pause Squat
162.5kg - 1x3 PR

Dimel Deadlift
60kg - 1x20
70kg - 2x20

One-legged Leg Press
90kg - 2x15

Lying Leg Curl
3x?

Cable Abs
28.4kg - 3x10

Hanging Leg Raises
BW - 1x10

Happy with hitting a PR on pause squats. Hit 160x3 a few weeks ago and that was a grinder and this time round it was a bit of a grind but felt more comfortable. Decided to give dimel deadlifts a go as I wanted to do some kind of high-rep work for deadlift. They felt good. Gets pretty tough of course doing high reps even if it is light weight.

Should have done more volume today though. Didn't feel very good though - felt like I was gonna throw up and that kinda killed my mood a little.

Hamstring curls a little annoying. When I go a bit heavier I start not feeling it much at all as calves start helping too much and I start using more momentum. But what I can do with good form is really rather light and that seems odd. I know my hamstrings aren't amazing but surely should be stronger than that considering what I can RDL or deadlift or squat etc.
Reply 796
ME Bench

Medium-Grip Pause Bench
95kg - 1x4

OHP
50kg - 3x8

Skullcrushers
20kg - 3x12

Barbell Row
60kg - 1x10
70kg - 1x10
75kg - 1x10
80kg - 1x8

Lat Pulldowns
8 - 2x15

Hammer Curls // Face Pulls
16kg - 1x10, 1x8 // 2x?

Shoulder Prehab

Equalled what I did last week with a wide-grip which means I'm probably gonna stick to medium-grip for benching. I think I felt tighter this week than last week because I benched in the cage but, yes, it's not perfect or anything. Still having issues of keep back tight and losing arch but I think I maintained my arch A LOT better than last week.

Very happy with OHP to be honest. I'm gonna try really hammer it and see if there's a correlation with my bench press. If anything putting weight above your head is cool. Decided to try out some skullcrushers. I think EZ bars are usually 6-7kg but I'll just write down the weight I add as that's easier. Felt good and different. Then did some rows. Felt stronger on these. As I said before, letting my form get a bit loose and using more momentum to see if that's better.
Reply 797
DE Squat/Deadlift

Box Squat
80kg - 8x2
90kg - 4x2
100kg - 1x1

Deadlift
130kg - 8x1

DB Swings
20kg - 2x15

Seated Leg Curl
35 - 1x15
45 - 2x12

Leg Extensions
45 - 1x15
55 - 1x15
65 - 1x12

Situps
BW - 2x25

Decided to up the weight for speed pulls to 130kg and the speed was still pretty fast which I'm pleased with. Wanted to do some box squats instead just to give myself a bit of a break with squats. It was okay but I definitely need to keep at it and get back with the form. Hadn't done it in quite a while so a little off in places. Also did some box jumps today; always fun but not very good. The first few are always horrible for me - it's like I completely forget how to jump and fail on rather low height. Got it to my max (lolwut) but couldn't get it this time.

Probably not going to be training on Tuesday (DE Bench). Exam on Thursday that I want to devote quite a lot of time with revising and also the gym is closed so I'd need to look around for another so it's just too much hassle. I'll probably do some stuff at home - push-ups, band work etc. and just recover.
Reply 798
Pushups and band work.

Gym closed and I have my last exam in a couple of days so took the opportunity to not go to the gym today. Will be killing it VERY MUCH on 7th onwards when I have no worries and other thoughts in my head.
Reply 799
ME Squat/Deadlift

Deficit (~2") deadlift
175kg - 1x6

Oly Squat
120kg - 5x5

Lying Leg Curl
5 - 1x15, 2x10

Thought I'd give deficits a go. Not a massive deficit but there wasn't much to stand so in the end I just stood on 25kg plates which are the widest there. I don't know how it equates but it was a max for sure so that's all that matters. Fast pulls, pretty happy.

Then did 5x5 on Oly Squats going as deep as I could. These felt pretty darn hard as I didn't rest very long and the deficit pulls kicked my ass. Fairly pleased to be honest. Then some lying leg curls and that was it. Could have done a bit more but not too bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest