The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Piggsil
Congrats! You'll get 580 next time. Have you got the next competition in mind?

Thanks! I think the same competition is done in June/July and November next year. So likely both of those. However, I'm pretty sure I qualified for Nationals which they do in October so that would be the main goal really to try fight for an international spot. Unlikely, definitely, but I'd like to give it a go. Got two years of lifting as a junior.

Original post by Motorbiker
Very nice lifting.

You beat my friend Yano in juniors and gave Peter a good fight for main 83 title I think. He's short though so it doesn't count. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers!

Yes I think Peter and the other dude (Ebenezer) got like 620/630kg totals if I'm not mistaken. But, they're fair bit older. If I'm honest with myself, I think I can definitely be about that level before I get to senior.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Thanks! I think the same competition is done in June/July and November next year. So likely both of those. However, I'm pretty sure I qualified for Nationals which they do in October so that would be the main goal really to try fight for an international spot. Unlikely, definitely, but I'd like to give it a go. Got two years of lifting as a junior.

Cheers!

Yes I think Peter and the other dude (Ebenezer) got like 620/630kg totals if I'm not mistaken. But, they're fair bit older. If I'm honest with myself, I think I can definitely be about that level before I get to senior.

Yea, you've qualified for nationals next year. Then they will pick the people to go to trials in January in October November next year.

You'll be up against Alistair and Owen though.

You have time to do well at nationals next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice total man!

Unlucky with the bench and deadlift final attempts- next time!
Yea, you've qualified for nationals next year. Then they will pick the people to go to trials in January in October November next year.

You'll be up against Alistair and Owen though.

You have time to do well at nationals next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain? I'm unaware.

Alistair is 24 next year I believe. It said 1991 so surely not possible he can compete as junior anymore. Owen Hubbard is on another level and I can't compete with him. But, Alistair "only" posted a 597.5kg total in Nationals last year and qualified for IPF Raw Worlds this year. I do believe I could do the same. But 2nd place qualifying also is a bit more random as I understand.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Nice total man!

Unlucky with the bench and deadlift final attempts- next time!

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Explain? I'm unaware.

Alistair is 24 next year I believe. It said 1991 so surely not possible he can compete as junior anymore. Owen Hubbard is on another level and I can't compete with him. But, Alistair "only" posted a 597.5kg total in Nationals last year and qualified for IPF Raw Worlds this year. I do believe I could do the same. But 2nd place qualifying also is a bit more random as I understand.

Thanks!

In early November they invite lifters to sessions in January. They will judge you then at these sessions and pick who goes to European and world's.

It's often the best few from the classic.

And I didn't realise about Alistair. And second to Owen is still impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In early November they invite lifters to sessions in January. They will judge you then at these sessions and pick who goes to European and world's.

It's often the best few from the classic.

And I didn't realise about Alistair. And second to Owen is still impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so you do the British Classic in October and then in the November they invite you? So essentially doing another meet the following January?

Well, second is the goal as Owen is on another level. But, of course, any random guy can show up tomorrow with a massive total and just wreck me so who knows. But I have 11 months till the Classic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh so you do the British Classic in October and then in the November they invite you? So essentially doing another meet the following January?

Well, second is the goal as Owen is on another level. But, of course, any random guy can show up tomorrow with a massive total and just wreck me so who knows. But I have 11 months till the Classic.

Yea, the January thing is called squads. Think you can do whatever you like but most people tend to hit a heavy single or triple I hear. I'll report back in January after the guy I sit next to at work goes.

Check this year's classic results for competitors...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea, the January thing is called squads. Think you can do whatever you like but most people tend to hit a heavy single or triple I hear. I'll report back in January after the guy I sit next to at work goes.

Check this year's classic results for competitors...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the thing is, I'd be doing next year's British Classic and so could qualify for IPF Raw Worlds in 2016. Alistair Cannings can't do that as not a junior, and neither would Owen Hubbard.

Thus, I think it really opens the field wide open. Owen Hubbard could/would compete as junior next year in British Classic but he's 22 this year so in 2016 he'd be 24 and not U23.

Thus, I think my chances of qualifying just went up a tiny bit. When Alistair Cannings qualified for IPF this year, he totaled 597.5kg last year. I think in 11 months I can definitely be at a 600kg+ total with good peaking.

Now, obviously, some complete monsters could come out of nowhere and destroy my chances but as it stands, not looking terrible. Which is very exciting actually.

Who do you know that's going?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well the thing is, I'd be doing next year's British Classic and so could qualify for IPF Raw Worlds in 2016. Alistair Cannings can't do that as not a junior, and neither would Owen Hubbard.

Thus, I think it really opens the field wide open. Owen Hubbard could/would compete as junior next year in British Classic but he's 22 this year so in 2016 he'd be 24 and not U23.

Thus, I think my chances of qualifying just went up a tiny bit. When Alistair Cannings qualified for IPF this year, he totaled 597.5kg last year. I think in 11 months I can definitely be at a 600kg+ total with good peaking.

Now, obviously, some complete monsters could come out of nowhere and destroy my chances but as it stands, not looking terrible. Which is very exciting actually.

Who do you know that's going?

Matt Deacon Smith. He's 105 now but has pulled gbpf records at 83 and 93 and 105. (280 and 300 and 305.5(fail 325 at classic) )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matt Deacon Smith. He's 105 now but has pulled gbpf records at 83 and 93 and 105. (280 and 300 and 305.5(fail 325 at classic) )

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy has obscene deadlift proportions. Dem arms
Original post by illusionz
The guy has obscene deadlift proportions. Dem arms

I said that to him when I first met him but he's actually not as bad as others that lock out just above knees. His proportions aren't that extreme.

His proportion are better than mine but I've seen better.

He did pull 205 first time in a gym. Beltless, straight leg, in trainers.
(edited 9 years ago)
I said that but he's actually not as bad as others that lock out just above knees.

His are better than mine but ice seen better.

He did pull 205 first time in a gym. Beltless, straight leg, in trainers.

wtf
Original post by illusionz
wtf

Try again now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try again now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my exclamation was more at the pulling 205 in trainers first time,...
Competition Bench
110x5 @9.5
105x5 @9
105x5 @9.5

2ct Pause T-Shirt Bench
100x4 @9
100x4 @9
100x4 @10

OHP
60x5 @9
60x5 @9.5
60x5 @10
55x5 @10

Dips
30kg - 3x6

Pullups
10kg - 4x6

Machine Row
61kg - 3x8 (Neutral-Grip)

EZ Curls
24kg - 3x8

First session after meet and I've upped the volume a fair bit. We'll see how it goes but I do think for bench press I really need to attack my weaknesses which are just being crap at pressing generally (incline/ohp etc.) and also keeping tight and not "plopping" the bar to my chest (hence t-shirt benching). Right pec feeling a bit tight from it all but hopefully nothing serious.
do they not allow the lift if the bar sinks into your chest a little?
What do you mean by t shirt bench?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
do they not allow the lift if the bar sinks into your chest a little?

It can sink as much as you want, as long as you don't sink further when they say "press".

What I mean is, I'm losing tightness. I'm "rowing" it down till near chest and then you can see in the video it's plopping to my chest as I lose tightness.

What do you mean by t shirt bench?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically you lower the bar so you just hover/touch your shirt. But essentially no weight is resting on your chest.
Sumo Deadlift
210x5 @9.5
200x5 @9.5

2ct Pause HB Med Squat (No Belt) (lol)
120x5
130x5
130x5 @9

Conventional Deadlift
160kg - 2x5

Pendlay Row
80kg - 3x7

Pulldowns
61kg - 2x8

GHR
Purple Band - 4x7

Ab Roller
BW - 3x7

Ton more volume than usual because I really want to force some gains. Happy for the main lifts to feel a bit crap for a while after the meet. Decided to do a squat variation that's the opposite of what I already do to make it very hard and clearly it was as 130x5 was not easy. Introduced conventional pulls again and I'll play it by ear if I keep them in as my left glute felt a bit iffy doing them (previous injury). Also decided on doing more back work from now on.
Bench (Touch and Go)
105x7 @9.5
100x7 @9
100x6 @10
100x5 @9 (ring finger on ring)

1ct Pause Close-Grip Bench
100x4 @9.5

Close-Grip Incline Bench
70x4 @9
70x5 @8.5
70x5 @10
70x4 @9.5
70x4 @9.5

Face Pulls
21kg - 4x10

EZ Curls
30kg - 3x8

Trying to improve my form on benching by keeping my upper back a lot tighter but, unfortunately, feeling a fair bit weaker doing it. Very, very frustrating as obviously you want a form improvement to mean easy strength gains not loss. I did try bench a little wider which felt okay with this form so I'll probably try it next week and see how it feels. I suppose my sumo deadlift was similar when I changed up my form and now it's stronger so maybe just need to keep at it.

Quick Reply

Latest