The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
In terms of time consumption, Systems & Control and Product Design were killers. They weren't particularly hard (I got 100% in my coursework for both subjects) but all the work you had to put in for the PowerPoints and the actual projects was horrifying. I spent about two weeks trying to glue down supports for mechanisms in my Systems project because the glue wasn't strong enough... or maybe I wasn't good at using glue. Hmm.

Note to current GCSE DT students: If in doubt, evaluate your way out. If you explain everything that went wrong in your projects - and by everything I mean every tiny detail - it's highly likely that you'll get 100% in your coursework. That means you only have to get about 75% in your exams to get an A* overall, which is a great relief.

In terms of knowledge? I'd probably have to say triple Science. There is so much to learn, yet in the actual exams you get quizzed on about... what, 30 maybe 40% of that? That's why I prefer Maths exams - they ask you about a much broader range so that you're guaranteed to know enough to get a fair few marks. That being said, I hate how with Edexcel Maths you have two exams in the space of a few days and then it's all over.

That's just my experience though. From what I've heard, languages can be pretty hard but I guess it depends on your teacher and their teaching style, perhaps more so than with other subjects.
Art is difficult because you have to do so much coursework and all of your work has to be of the same standard to get a good grade, but I thought maths was the hardest (for me).
The hardest: None of them are REALLY painfully difficult, but English Language is probably the worst
English Literature was my most difficult (and my worst). I'm saying Lit, and not Language, purely because I thought that I'd nailed my Lit exam and ended up bombing it, while my Lang exams were the exact opposite.

Subjects like ICT were "difficult" in a different way (i.e. were mind-numbingly boring and time-consuming).
Mine and not yours.
Original post by Baddream
I was just wondering, what do you guys think the hardest GCSE is?
I know they're probably nothing compared to A-Levels but I just wanted to know :biggrin:

i would say geography; I did CCEA board and there were sooo many facts and figures to learn !
I would say any language GCSE.
French-speaking, because my pronunciation sucked so badly. Writing and Reading were good though!
Food technology in the sense it was so boring, and repetitive and the coursework took endless hours I think committing suicide would have been easier. Plus the grade boundaries were ridiculously high like an A* was 93% or something. The subject itself was easy. Teacher didn't teach any theory lessons, as we cooked every lesson and didn't revise until night before. 'why do you need proteins' (1 mark) :P
(edited 10 years ago)
For me it would probably be Latin, simply because there is so much to memorize! I also really struggled with French listening
Personally - maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found History quite annoying because of one of the exams (USA - Edexcel)
Also I hated German Coursework (Edexcel). Now because of that the best I can get is B.

I will find out what was the hardest GCSE on Results Day :biggrin:
Chemistry: SO HARD!
French: Those boring educational trips! How can you go to such a beautiful place and start learning about the history of it instead of exploring it?

---------------------------------------------------------

History: even though it wasnt hard it was by far the most depressing subject. Person A kills Person B leading to Battle A which leads to Battle B and so on...
I think it depends on the person. Like most of my friends find sciences, especially Chemistry, really hard but I find them pretty straightforward. Honestly I dont really find any of them particularly difficult but the hardest I would say is French or Art for me, simply because they are my lowest predicted grades and I struggle to keep them up unlike the others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393
All foreign languages
Reply 394
Original post by WelshDragon23
Apparently Welsh is difficult, I wouldn't know, I have always spoken it :biggrin:

union run fath i fi, ti di gorffen TGAU ti i gyd neu ti newydd gorffen blwyddyn 11?
Reply 395
Original post by Zacho
Languages because they involve so many different skills. They are also, in my opinion, by far the most useful in life. By an absolute mile!

Really? :confused: I find I've used writing skills and basic math's a lot more than I've missed not having taken a language GCSE...
Reply 396
for me the ones that I probably struggled witht the most were Physics, Chinese and History. Physics and Hist primarily cause I got B's in first modules :/// But then physics and History I managed to get A & A* in them, but it doesnt come away from the fact that they were difficult subjects. Chinese (Mandarin) point blank was SO hard, so much so I wanted to pull out at the last minute - thats how desperate I got... If not fully initiated from year 9/10 then its one of those languages that you have to sit down and revise for. French you can wing it most of the time (okay probably not) but I got A* for it..
Original post by mazda21
union run fath i fi, ti di gorffen TGAU ti i gyd neu ti newydd gorffen blwyddyn 11?

I loved Welsh at GCSE and now I'm doing it for a level! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WelshDragon23
Ancient Russian Literature

can you actually do that?
Economics was so boring

Quick Reply

Latest