The Student Room Group

failed my gcses and i’m scared i won’t get enroll to the sixthform i want to go to

hi, i received my gcse results and i basically failed my subjects . i am so sad because i worked my absolute hardest; i am also irritated in the fact that i was 1 mark away from getting a 4 in RE and also 10 marks from getting a 4 in maths. I was thinking if i should remark RE even though my grade was a standard pass.

to study at the sixthform i need minimum 9-4 gcse grades

4- business
4 - english language
5 - english literature
4-3 - science
3 - maths
3 - history
3 - re
4 - hsc
Reply 1
Original post by 1eleyz
hi, i received my gcse results and i basically failed my subjects . i am so sad because i worked my absolute hardest; i am also irritated in the fact that i was 1 mark away from getting a 4 in RE and also 10 marks from getting a 4 in maths. I was thinking if i should remark RE even though my grade was a standard pass.

4- business
4 - english language
5 - english literature
4-3 - science
3 - maths
3 - history
3 - re
4 - hsc

Don't worry - my daughter was badly bullied at school and she ended up being home schooled for three years, taking her gcse's as a private candidate. She ploughed the lot! (Combo of no mocks and no idea which questions would come up!) but knocked on the door of a local college. They interviewed her and the rest is history - she leaves for uni in two weeks having got triple distinction *. All is not lost x
Original post by 1eleyz

4- business
4 - english language
5 - english literature
4-3 - science
3 - maths
3 - history
3 - re
4 - hsc

A remark for RE would be reasonable.What do you think led to you not getting the grades you expected?
Original post by 1eleyz

4- business
4 - english language
5 - english literature
4-3 - science
3 - maths
3 - history
3 - re
4 - hsc

try going to the sixthform and talking to them, they usually let people in if you go and talk to them. Try re-sitting maths aswell as most uni will require you to pass it.
Reply 4
will do thank you

Original post by springcelti
try going to the sixthform and talking to them, they usually let people in if you go and talk to them. Try re-sitting maths aswell as most uni will require you to pass it.
Original post by 1eleyz

4- business
4 - english language
5 - english literature
4-3 - science
3 - maths
3 - history
3 - re
4 - hsc

hi, im sorry to hear that. but if you struggled with your GCSES, A levels are a whole lot worse unfortuantley, and it really is a jump from GCSE to A levels, in difficulty and work load. My GCSES were a walk in the park compared to my A levels ive just completed, but when it got to A levels it was really difficult. im not saying that you arent capable of getting good A level grades, but if you tried your hardest and still got grades at 3s and 4s i really wouldnt recommend sixthform from expirience. i was in your position, however i was a covid year (2020) student so i didnt actually sit my exams. i came out with all 3s,4s and 5 grades at GCSE and was basically failing all my A levels, getting Us and Es right up until the end of year 13, i really tried but the teachers knock your confidence. my teachers told me sixthform wasnt right for me and that i wouldnt come out with anything higher than a D in all three of my subjects if i was lucky. i put in alot of hardwork at the end of year 13, and came out with ABC grades this year, im now off to uni. (im not an academic person, but if you put in the work you can do it!). my sixthform has now put in a policy where you have to get 6s in both maths and english to even be considered into the school. as our sixthform let so many of us 'lower achievers in' on the covid year, it has ultimatley caused the school to drop down with students getting 'top grades' (school obviously prefer to take higher achievers as they will get the school the higher grades). if you want to go sixthform id really think about it first, as it really is a struggle and you have to be on the ball from day one, unlike GCSES where you can learn the whole course the night before. there are other routes through such as going to college, where you can still go to uni. it ultimatley depends what you are wanting to study at sixthform
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
thank you so much for this! it gave me motivation a little.

i will try my hardest in my a levels, gcse has really opened my eyes and has actually made me think that j should push myself harder which means i have to stay away from distractions etc

Original post by jellycat2004
hi, im sorry to hear that. but if you struggled with your GCSES, A levels are a whole lot worse unfortuantley, and it really is a jump from GCSE to A levels, in difficulty and work load. My GCSES were a walk in the park compared to my A levels ive just completed, but when it got to A levels it was really difficult. im not saying that you arent capable of getting good A level grades, but if you tried your hardest and still got grades at 3s and 4s i really wouldnt recommend sixthform from expirience. i was in your position, however i was a covid year (2020) student so i didnt actually sit my exams. i came out with all 3s,4s and 5 grades at GCSE and was basically failing all my A levels, getting Us and Es right up until the end of year 13, i really tried but the teachers knock your confidence. my teachers told me sixthform wasnt right for me and that i wouldnt come out with anything higher than a D in all three of my subjects if i was lucky. i put in alot of hardwork at the end of year 13, and came out with ABC grades this year, im now off to uni. (im not an academic person, but if you put in the work you can do it!). my sixthform has now put in a policy where you have to get 6s in both maths and english to even be considered into the school. as our sixthform let so many of us 'lower achievers in' on the covid year, it has ultimatley caused the school to drop down with students getting 'top grades' (school obviously prefer to take higher achievers as they will get the school the higher grades). if you want to go sixthform id really think about it first, as it really is a struggle and you have to be on the ball from day one, unlike GCSES where you can learn the whole course the night before. there are other routes through such as going to college, where you can still go to uni. it ultimatley depends what you are wanting to study at sixthform
Reply 7
Original post by jellycat2004
A levels are a whole lot worse unfortuantley, and it really is a jump from GCSE to A levels, in difficulty and work load. My GCSES were a walk in the park compared to my A levels ive just completed

I do not think this is true at all. My GCSES results were poor (99888444) but I have been reading ahead and the A-Level content does not seem more difficult at all, though I do appreciate that this is probably subject dependent.
Original post by 1eleyz
thank you so much for this! it gave me motivation a little.

i will try my hardest in my a levels, gcse has really opened my eyes and has actually made me think that j should push myself harder which means i have to stay away from distractions etc

of course! it wont be easy, you just have to find techniques that work best for you and you will get the grades you need. you really have to stay motivated, because unlike year 11 the teachers will not be there to ensure you do the work, sixthform is more of a 'you have chosen to be here' over a 'you have to be here ' like year 11.
Reply 9
Just want to update you and say that I’ve got my predicted grades for my btec course. I got a grade DDM (AAB)!

Thank you for motivating me
Reply 10
Original post by RosyK
Don't worry - my daughter was badly bullied at school and she ended up being home schooled for three years, taking her gcse's as a private candidate. She ploughed the lot! (Combo of no mocks and no idea which questions would come up!) but knocked on the door of a local college. They interviewed her and the rest is history - she leaves for uni in two weeks having got triple distinction *. All is not lost x

Hello - Im more or less in the same boat, where probably we would need to give private GCSEs as we moved to UK and my son is 16yrs which means he will not get admissions in Grade 11. Therefore we may have to give GCSEs privately.

Can you pl advise how did your daughter study for GCSEs e.g. tuitions, extra help. As we are new to UK, therefore need the details. And also the costs, if there are any
Reply 11
Original post by 1eleyz
Just want to update you and say that I’ve got my predicted grades for my btec course. I got a grade DDM (AAB)!

Thank you for motivating me

Lovely to hear.Well done on turning things around!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest