The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is there anyone else who does NOT think a good time is all about getting drunk?

Hi there! :smile:

I've accepted my offer at Leeds to do Medical Engineering and I'm pretty excited to be going. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind going out every now and then.
I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who thinks that going out and drinking isn't the greatest thing in the world? :confused:

In fact, I much prefer a night in with some friends, watching movies or rubbish on tv and just having a good time that way. Or just hanging out in some form that doesn't solely involve alcohol, bad music and incredibly cramped spaces. :s-smilie:

Am I the only one who thinks this way? I'm worried that I won't meet any like-minded people at uni.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No youre not. High Five :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Best time I've had at night? Me and my friends got around to one of our houses and just played Xbox all night. No alcohol involved. Never been for a night out, or want to. I see no point in going out and getting smashed.
I feel exactly the same! Clubbing is my idea of hell and I've never been hugely keen on alcohol. I'd much rather be at a house party with close friends rather than in a club full of mostly people I've never seen before. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with total strangers, it's just not how I'd want to meet somebody.

I'm really hoping I can meet some similar people when I go to uni, because I have a brilliant group of friends at school and it works really well, I'm just not sure if I can find somethign like that again.

But yeah, you're not alone! :smile:
Reply 4
It's good fun being drunk, but no, it's certainly not the only way to have fun, and if it's not your cup of tea, leave it.
Reply 5
Nope. Closest friends, some pizza, funny movies and video games equals a top night for me. Couldn't give a flying **** about getting drunk and have no desire to be in a hot, cramped, sweaty club being fondled by horny drunks.

It's what some people prefer and get enjoyment out of, though - no one is better than anyone else because they may want to go out and have a drink or stay in, it's just down to preference. Everyone has different ways of unwinding.
Me :colondollar: I'm not actually all that keen on alcohol tbh and I don't like clubs. I'm going to drink a bit in freshers' week because I want to be social but I can have just as good a time staying in and being sober, I don't really see the appeal in going out and getting wasted :lol:

We should all form a society. :pierre:
I probably prefer something like you described but I don't mind getting throughly furnitured every now and again. Inhibitions aren't always helpful!
Original post by Ancienteagle

I've accepted my offer at Leeds to do Medical Engineering and I'm pretty excited to be going. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind going out every now and then.
I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who thinks that going out and drinking isn't the greatest thing in the world? :confused:

In fact, I much prefer a night in with some friends, watching movies or rubbish on tv and just having a good time that way. Or just hanging out in some form that doesn't solely involve alcohol, bad music and incredibly cramped spaces. :s-smilie:

Am I the only one who thinks this way? I'm worried that I won't meet any like-minded people at uni.

I dont drink. I can have a good time without drink. Why do you need drink to have a good time anyway? It takes away your sense of danger yes but it makes you more vulnerable. Doesnt appeal to me.
I don't drink at all, never mind get drunk :tongue:
It's all fair and good to have alcohol on a night out, and it can be a good time. But it's definitely not a necessity.
Reply 11
No you're not, i'm the exact same.
HOOOOORAY !
Pizza + Xbox + guitars + everyone chatting and joking about (-banter) = Awesome times

However, I do have a few times a month where I get a bit bladdered. It helps me to interact with strangers...
Aren't you a unique and enlightened little flower.
Reply 14
I think I love you guys. :biggrin:

I had a pretty crummy time at Newcastle University last year because everyone on my course only cared about going out which is why I'm worried the same thing will happen this year. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
My perfect night out is in my bed.
Original post by Ancienteagle

There is SOOOOOOO much more to life than alcohol :smile: Honestly you are not the only one who has this worry, when I stopped drinking a few years ago I thought I would be an outcast but you soon find other people that feel the same. Eventually people realise it is just a waste of money getting drunk every weekend :smile:
Reply 17
I like clubbing and going out with friends. But I like to enjoy a few drinks and not get completely bladdered. Done so many embarrassing things when I've been ****ered I just don't enjoy it anymore.

You spend less, remember the night and wake up hangover-free - bonus!
I know what you mean. I think I drink during freshers a little bit but I don't fancy "vomming all over the pavement" kinda drunkness. Best night I had was chilling out, Wii games, food, joking, fun :smile:
I like a drink but you can have soo much fun without too.
No, you're not the only one :smile: Don't worry about it, there will be all sorts of people at University!

Quick Reply

Latest