The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Newcastle were highly unlucky to lose that. Twice hitting the post and two gifted goals.. pretty much identical situation to what we went through against Leverkusen, who dominated and hit the post various times but we ended up getting all the luck.

I think Newcastle can still pull something off in this tie if they get the first goal.. I reckon we'd crumble under the pressure, especially if its an early goal.. however, that said, our match following the second leg is almost a dead rubber match, so we'll be full strength for the second leg (hopefully).

Original post by LeBuche
Crushing way to lose, we were set up just right and could have had three ourselves, stupid errors at the back cost us dearly. Can see Benfica getting to the final.

Nahh, I wouldn't go that far... can't see us beating Chelsea or Spurs.. and Fenerbahce would be a tough tie as well..
Well you're not out completely out. You had a lot of good chances that could have drastically affected the outcome of the tie. The post denying a draw in fact.

Although there's only so much you could have done against such a quality team. Seemed like even after the goal and chances on the counter they kept the pressure up and you guys tired out eventually.
Come on 2-0 at SJP!!! Cisse has more close shaves than any other striker that's ever played for us I reckon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbieastoria
Come on 2-0 at SJP!!! Cisse has more close shaves than any other striker that's ever played for us I reckon

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys were so unlucky to not get a result, although benfica deserved the win you could have knicked a draw if the goal post was 5cm's wider.

Oh and btw ben arfa would have been so useful today. I know he's been inconsistent this season due to injury but on form he's a quality player. Would have been useful on the counter.
(edited 11 years ago)
2-0 at home is definitely not impossible with your attacking players, but you'll need your A game. unlucky tonight.
Reply 7985
Thank **** for Tim Krul. Could have been over and out already. At least at 3-1 it gives the sell-out St James' Park crowd reason to cheer the team on next week.

Much bigger game on sunday though. Fulham. Must win game.
Can't help but feel disappointed with last nights result, but not really the performance. We created a decent amount of chances and on another day we would have left ourselves in a really good position for the second leg, hugely pissed off with Taylor though, there was just no need to stick his arm out the way he did, at least Santon's mistake was an honest one.

Suppose we have a chance of nicking a 2-0 providing Pardew fields a strong team, although tbh I'd prefer if he didn't and instead left us fresh for the derby, hammering them would be the only highlight of an awful season.
3 years ago today

Was one of the best matches I've ever been to

[video="youtube;RS_fFjbbonQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_fFjbbonQ&feature=yout u.be[/video]
Reply 7988
Effectively swapping Routledge for Obertan was abysmal business.
Good thing is you got that away goal which helps big time. 2-0 isn't out the question as well with the attacking players you have.
Reply 7990
We're a great attacking side, like. No doubt about it.
Unless we beat Fulham tomorrow Pardew has to field the weakest side he can in the next leg.
Reply 7992
Original post by Sephiroth
Unless we beat Fulham tomorrow Pardew has to field the weakest side he can in the next leg.

I can 100% guarantee we won't beat Fulham or even get a point vs them tomorrow.

Check the fixture list :rolleyes:
Video of bairn getting hit with a baton by Portuguese police the other night

[h="5"]http://telly.com/C3L7QL[/h]
Disgraceful.
Original post by LeBuche
I can 100% guarantee we won't beat Fulham or even get a point vs them tomorrow.

Check the fixture list :rolleyes:

The fun part is I did check the fixture list, on Fantasy Football. Of course it doesn't mention the week day so I got mixed up by the fact there are more games Sunday than tomorrow which almost never happens. :rolleyes:
Reply 7995
Original post by KingGoonIan
Video of bairn getting hit with a baton by Portuguese police the other night

[h="5"]http://telly.com/C3L7QL[/h]
Disgraceful.

What was the context for the fan being hit?
Original post by Mess.
What was the context for the fan being hit?

Dunno really. From what I've heard the Benfica fans themselves were welcoming but the police were unnecessarily aggressive throughout. Either way that bairn shouldn't have been hit he only looks about 10 years old.
Genuinely scared of relegation for the first time today after Villa's result.
Reply 7998
MUST win tomorrow. Once we get that.. Breathing space. Stoke are sliding. God. This week from Tomorrow. Fulham, Benfica, Sunderland. Pivotal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed I think everyone has been overlooking Stoke as relegation contenders. They have been terrible in the second half of the season. Just hoping Sunderland don't have the new manager effect.

Latest