The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Vintage
nufc.com are asking fans to just simply ignore the name change, Refer to it as St James' Park. Nothing will replace the name. That's why in my opinion no other sponsor/business has came in/enquired about the naming rights.

Northern Rock's shirt sponsorship expires at the end of the season.....

This confused me for a moment: I thought nufc.com was the official site. :redface:

nufc.co.uk
The original naming rights proposal, launched in November 2009, invited sponsors to link their brand to St. James' Park, but this did not prove commercially attractive.

As such, the club will now seek a sponsor who will be granted full naming rights. Until such time the stadium will be renamed the Sports Direct Arena.

Oh, so this new name is temporary, but it still indicates a change from St. James Park. So it's still all sad. :sad:

On a much less depressing note, nufc.co.uk has done a round-up of the players who started in the 2-1 home win against Sheffield United in 1994 - the last time you guys went 11 games unbeaten at the start of a season. :biggrin:
Reply 1181
Original post by Abiraleft
This confused me for a moment: I thought nufc.com was the official site. :redface:

Nufc.com is done by a couple of hardcore fans (Niall & Biffa). They make a little money off advertising but that's ok. They normally are quite unbiased too. I visit this site all the time and rarely check on the official .co.uk address.
Reply 1182
Latest Llambias interview.
Speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle on Thursday, NUFC MD Derek Llambias attempted to justify why a name change of St.James' Park has been announced - but failed to address the question of why that change was ncessary before a sponsor had been secured:

"I would hope it would generate between £8 million and £10 million a year. That would give us another player. The club needs to be self-sufficient, and this will help us be self-sufficient.

"Yes, we do need to go that one step further to compete. Yes, we do. We have had an exceptional year, and long may it continue, but the fans want us to buy more players.

"We need to bring in a striker in January, we will need replacements in the summer and we need to give ourselves as much as possible.

"There is no guarantee we will find a sponsor between now and then, but we have to give ourselves the opportunity and this is one.

"We have to keep going at it. We can't just say 'Oh, it hasn't worked out, let's go back to what we were'. We have to give ourselves the maximum opportunity to sell it.

"I totally respect the tradition and history of the club. That is always going to be there, but we need to move with the times and this is progression.

"We need to move on. We are not disrespecting our fans at all. Far from it. We are trying to make it affordable and put players on the pitch.

"We have exhausted all our other revenue streams, retail is not good - that produces next to nothing, quite honestly - so we need to bring in more, quite honestly.

"We have been out there a long time looking. We lose Northern Rock as a sponsor this year, so it gives me a very small window to get a new shirt sponsor and hopefully a stadium sponsor at the same time.

"We understand that side of it (fan resistance to referring to the ground by any other name), but it is the sponsor's responsibility, as well as ours, to move forward. Time will dissolve that.

"The history will always be there, we just become part of the history or they become part of the history. We just need to make sure we give ourselves the opportunity.

"You know Chelsea has come out to basically say they are going to re-name their present stadium. Now, they have a long history as well, but they have an owner who actually has more money than God.

"We can't compare ourselves to Abramovich, we have not got that sort of money, so if we want to compete with the big boys, we have to bring more money in."
How about u ducking spend the Andy Carroll money first!!!
Reply 1184
Can't stop laughing at this. What a mong.

Those lines he's painted are so straight :eek:
Original post by mau5

I know this lad lol he's a joker. :biggrin:
If you didn't catch the 1hr episode about our latest form on BBC Radio 5 on Thursday then here is the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017ngq6/5_live_Sport_The_Turnaround_of_the_Toon/

Stephen Taylor was in the studio for the episode.
Reply 1188
Original post by mau5

Love how he's got his socks tucked in to his tracksuit.
Real winner.
Reply 1189
Original post by TM94
Love how he's got his socks tucked in to his tracksuit.
Real winner.

Might be wrong but it looks to me like he's wearing a flag as a skirt. :rofl:
Original post by mau5
Might be wrong but it looks to me like he's wearing a flag as a skirt. :rofl:

You're right about that like. He always wears a flag for a skirt.

Here he is again when he was picked out of the crowd by Pards to train with the players in the open training session.

Reply 1191
Original post by KingGoonIan
You're right about that like. He always wears a flag for a skirt.

Here he is again when he was picked out of the crowd by Pards to train with the players in the open training session.

Maybe he's got it tattoo'ed on his face permantly?
I don't think they have any intention of bringing in a sponsor other than SportsDirect, TBH, and I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Sporty D's ends up on our shirts.

They'll probably drop that bombshell in the next couple of months.
Reply 1193
Original post by scriggy
I don't think they have any intention of bringing in a sponsor other than SportsDirect, TBH, and I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Sporty D's ends up on our shirts.

And a Donnay or Lonsdale kit once Puma's deal ends....

But really, it's in their interest to get someone else to be kit sponsor to have another form of income rather that it all being from Mike Ashley/Sports Direct. (Even though 'Sports Direct' don't pay much/anything for their logo being everywhere)
Reply 1194
Original post by scriggy

Like PJ991 says above, I would guess they're looking for someone else to pay to occupy the shirt-space. If they can get a decent-enough deal, I would guess it's whoever is looking to buy the stadium naming rights.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-striker-Andy-Carroll-worth-f-all-claims-Newcastle-MD-Derek-Llambias-article829815.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-chief-Derek-Llambias-slams-Kevin-Keegan-and-Alan-Shearer-in-foul-rant-article829807.html

Terribly unprofessional, someone needs to deck Derek. He's like a minus one, contributes nothing and then slags off other people. Odious person.

''So £30m? F*** off! Don’t waste my time and I slammed the phone down.''

Acting big man as if he really said/did that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deep456
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-striker-Andy-Carroll-worth-f-all-claims-Newcastle-MD-Derek-Llambias-article829815.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-chief-Derek-Llambias-slams-Kevin-Keegan-and-Alan-Shearer-in-foul-rant-article829807.html

Terribly unprofessional, someone needs to deck Derek. He's like a minus one, contributes nothing and then slags off other people. Odious person.

''So £30m? F*** off! Don’t waste my time and I slammed the phone down.''

Acting big man as if he really said/did that.

Totally agree what a two faced prick.
Reply 1199
I'd be ****ing mortified if the MD of my company was acting like that.

Latest