The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey people, seeing as you're all Newcastle United fans here, I thought this would be the best place to ask this :smile:
My brother is a huge NUFC fan, born geordie, moved back to Newcastle in 2005, and still lives there now, anyway, I usually get him some sort of Newcastle pressie for Christmas.

The other week I saw this really nice road sign thing, with St. James Park NE1 ect ect, you know.
I bought it and was really chuffed.

About 12 hours later I remembered it's no longer called that -_-
Would it be silly of me to give it to him still? I know he doesn't have one, but as NUFC fans, would you still like to get something like that for a present even though it's now Sports Direct Arena?

Sorry for long question! >_<
Original post by KlaireDelilah
Hey people, seeing as you're all Newcastle United fans here, I thought this would be the best place to ask this :smile:
My brother is a huge NUFC fan, born geordie, moved back to Newcastle in 2005, and still lives there now, anyway, I usually get him some sort of Newcastle pressie for Christmas.

The other week I saw this really nice road sign thing, with St. James Park NE1 ect ect, you know.

Would it be silly of me to give it to him still? I know he doesn't have one, but as NUFC fans, would you still like to get something like that for a present even though it's now Sports Direct Arena?

Noooo don't be silly. The fact they've changed the name actually makes it an even better present. I cba to explain properly but if he's a true Geordie he'll love it.

Oddly enough I bought one myself last week. :tongue:
Original post by River85

Original post by River85
I don't think Manchester United underestimated Chelsea at SB last season. Of course we rested players against Schalke, we were almost certainly going to get through and it was a huge game toward the end of the season. It would be foolish to underestimate your main title rival and Fergie, though he makes mistakes, is no fool.

Few underestimate Chelsea but I think you are underestimating Newcastle. Even if Chelsea win, which I would put their chances at 60 percent, I don't think they will keep a clean sheet. Don't forget that Newcastle remained unbeaten at home against Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool last season (with the Arsenal game. Being the 4-4 showing the determination they have) it is a different Newcastle team in many respects but an arguably stronger one.

I'm sure everton took points against all the big teams, chelsea battered them this season. I reckon if newcastle score, it will be one of demba ba or best, or someone from a set piece. Chelsea can keep a clean sheet against them. No disrespect to newcastle, but if chelsea beat liverpool this week, newcastle will not win against us either.
Original post by scriggy

Original post by scriggy
I'd actually be disappointed if we don't win against Chelsea.

Just putting it out there. :h:

Tbf, home advantage to a team who at the very least should be aiming for europe you should be aiming for a win, although I think you're underestimating chelsea, on a good day they'll beat anyone, when they get their confidence back which it seems that they got after that win, they are very hard to beat, although newcastle are like a team of park ji sungs tbh.
Although all fairness to newcastle, they've done a tottenham/chelsea, forced themselves in the top 4 when no one expected them there. Still see you guys coming 7th, too much competition, provided you don't do an aston villa, you guys will be there to stay and get top 4 in a couple of years.
Reply 1384
Original post by jam277
I'm sure everton took points against all the big teams, chelsea battered them this season. I reckon if newcastle score, it will be one of demba ba or best, or someone from a set piece. Chelsea can keep a clean sheet against them. No disrespect to newcastle, but if chelsea beat liverpool this week, newcastle will not win against us either.

Chelsea didn't beat Liverpool. I seem to remember a certain Glen Johnson scoring a pretty class goal.
Reply 1385

As far as I'm concerned its still called, and always will be called St James' Park. Go ahead and give it to him! On the other hand, if you're not sure, I'll take it off your hands :biggrin:

Nobody on the planet will ever be calling it Sports Direct Arena, lol. I got one as well for christmas so yes give it to him, he'll love it.
Original post by -Matty-

Original post by -Matty-
Chelsea didn't beat Liverpool. I seem to remember a certain Glen Johnson scoring a pretty class goal.

I never knew that was the Carling Cup?
Reply 1388
Anyone from Newcastle wishing to travel to Gary Speed's Funeral/Memorial service read this. (Off www.nufc.com)

Following the sad news about Gary Speed, a number of Newcastle fans have expressed an interest in travelling to his funeral/memorial service to pay their respects.

Dependent on numbers, The Back Page are looking at running a coach to that event on a non-profit basis. If anyone is interested in that, please can they make contact with the BP in person

I've left the contact number out, its on www.nufc.com if anyone would like it.
Original post by Vintage
Anyone from Newcastle wishing to travel to Gary Speed's Funeral/Memorial service read this. (Off www.nufc.com)

I've left the contact number out, its on www.nufc.com if anyone would like it.

Where is the service being held?
Reply 1390
Original post by KingGoonIan
Where is the service being held?

Nothings been announced yet. More than likely near his family home in Chesire or in Wales.
"Newcastle United have confirmed there will be a tribute to former midfielder Gary Speed, who died last Sunday, at Saturday's game against Chelsea. The club will ask fans to hold up black and white cards depicting the number 11, his shirt number at Newcastle.

Following the tribute, a minute's applause will be held.

In addition the matchday programme will feature an image of Speed on the cover.

United have already confirmed there will be a capacity crowd for the fixture."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15962722.stm

Wonder which section or sections of the stadium will be holding the cards...?
Reply 1392
"Newcastle United have confirmed there will be a tribute to former midfielder Gary Speed, who died last Sunday, at Saturday's game against Chelsea. The club will ask fans to hold up black and white cards depicting the number 11, his shirt number at Newcastle.

Following the tribute, a minute's applause will be held.

In addition the matchday programme will feature an image of Speed on the cover.

United have already confirmed there will be a capacity crowd for the fixture."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15962722.stm

Wonder which section or sections of the stadium will be holding the cards...?

North East Stand i think. You going to the match? Everyones taking a scarf to hold up during the minutes silence/applause. It's going to be emotional.
Reply 1393
I'm giving up my season ticket until January because I got a xmas job.

Gutted I have to miss the Chelsea match though. :ashamed2:
Reply 1394
Geordie Army! Toon! Toon!
Original post by Vintage
North East Stand i think. You going to the match? Everyones taking a scarf to hold up during the minutes silence/applause. It's going to be emotional.

No wish I was though I bet the atmospheres gan to be electric and the game itself a cracker!

When we held up cards for the Newcastle 5-1 Sunderland match I didn't get to hold one up cos I was in the Leazes Corner and there was a discount on the back of em - no fair.

Are you gan to the match?

I'll wear my scarf that day if I go out anyway.
In other news Bruce has been sacked as Sunderland manager.
In other news Bruce has been sacked as Sunderland manager.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

They might actually hire a decent manager now :mad:
Original post by TCD23
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

They might actually hire a decent manager now :mad:

Possible but then again these two scenarios might take place:

- No one will join them and their club will be in disarray and they will get relegated.
- Someone will join them but they will do worse than Bruce because Bruce wasn't their problem and they will get relegated.
Possible but then again these two scenarios might take place:

- No one will join them and their club will be in disarray and they will get relegated.
- Someone will join them but they will do worse than Bruce because Bruce wasn't their problem and they will get relegated.

I doubt you can actively seek out to get a manager worse than Brucie. Not only is he crap, he's a Geordie.

I still believe that he was an undercover agent for us.

Latest