The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TM94
Hoilett / Barnetta would be :sogood:

Barnetta? I would absolutely die if we managed to bring in a quality player like him in . Absolute class.
Original post by TCD23
Barnetta? I would absolutely die if we managed to bring in a quality player like him in . Absolute class.

Although you got ben arfa from a good team, I highly doubt you would get barnetta since leverkusen are in the champions league at a team that is better than newcastles player for player, hoillett is more likely, he's at blackburn so anything is an improvement for him. If liverpool don't sniff around first, you should get him with ease with a 10-15 million pound bid, the question is, would mike fatshley spend 15 million?
If you did get barnetta though, I think you would get him for around 10 million though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Although you got ben arfa from a good team, I highly doubt you would get barnetta since leverkusen are in the champions league at a team that is better than newcastles player for player

Don't forget that they bought Cabaye, who gave up Champions League football with the French double winners.

Though I do see Barnetta as unlikely, I have to admit.

hoillett is more likely, he's at blackburn so anything is an improvement for him. If liverpool don't sniff around first, you should get him with ease with a 10-15 million pound bid, the question is, would mike fatshley spend 15 million?
If you did get barnetta though, I think you would get him for around 10 million though.

Stoke are allegedly sniffing around him and considering an £8 million bid though this is just tabloid talk. I think the Venkys would probably hold out for at least £10 though and, though I could Ashley spending £8 million (maybe) 10+ is a push.
Reply 1863
The difference between Obertan and HBA is one works hard for the team, the other does not. Whilst I think HBA is quality going forward and his ability to pick a pass in the final third is needed i'm not sure we can afford to have someone who works so little in our team currently.
Reply 1864
Original post by -Matty-
The difference between Obertan and HBA is one works hard for the team, the other does not. Whilst I think HBA is quality going forward and his ability to pick a pass in the final third is needed i'm not sure we can afford to have someone who works so little in our team currently.

I would prefer HBA to start then Obertan to come off the bench. Because imagine Obertan's pace against tired legs :coma:

Now we just need to teach him what to do with the football.
Reply 1865
Original post by Vintage
I would prefer HBA to start then Obertan to come off the bench. Because imagine Obertan's pace against tired legs :coma:

Now we just need to teach him what to do with the football.

Indeed, he's clearly got a place in the team as a sub. While his crossing and tricks can hopefully improve in time, I'm still struggling to see why he doesn't simply try skinning defenders more through being considerably quicker than them. I guess confidence is part of it which is a shame, but the way he constantly stops when confronted by a defender only to pass the ball back/give it away almost makes me dream of the times we had Wayne Routledge is our right-winger...
In case you haven't seen, voting is now open on the Football Forum Awards 2011. Voting closes on New Year's Day. I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!
No pressure or anything but we have to win today.
Tiote has a yellow card already surprise surprise.
aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back! second half...
aaaaay Obertan had a go!
Ben Arfa! Yes! Magnificent finish... Pardew, start him!
another one! Demba Ba you big lad. both goals from crosses... very nice.
Ba scores again. Shows you that once we got our proper players in our squad, we can and will win matches.
Reply 1874
Huge win for us.

Ben Arfa :sogood:
That's it I'm gonna get Ben Arfa on me back now.
Reply 1876
What sort of reception will Carroll get against you lot?
Original post by VQG
What sort of reception will Carroll get against you lot?

Personally I wouldn't boo him and I know a few others who wouldn't but I know many others who would.

So I dunno really.
I didn't get the chance to watch/listen to the match today, but that was an excellent, much needed, result. Hopefully the goal will do Ben Arfa the world of good as well.

What the **** are we going to do without Ba though? :lolwut:
Original post by scriggy
I didn't get the chance to watch/listen to the match today, but that was an excellent, much needed, result. Hopefully the goal will do Ben Arfa the world of good as well.

What the **** are we going to do without Ba though? :lolwut:

Hopefully we'll sign Rhodes from Huddersfield in the transfer window to replace him when he goes.

Latest