The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Original post by Colonel.
He's the one that posted a picture on Twitter of him with a (fake) gun, wasn't it?

Why are you guys stressing about a striker? Is Ba injured?

Yes he is.

Not sure is srs regarding Ba. ACN starts next month and as he's been called up to play for Senegal it means we'll be left with Best, Shola and Lovenkrands.
Oh, I see. Yeah, that'll be a problem.
A lot of rumours circulating that Carroll will be back at the Toon this January.
Reply 1923
Mark Lawrenson really is a complete goon.
Liverpool v Newcastle

Luis Suarez's suspension over his gesture to fans at Fulham means Andy Carroll plays against his old club - or, if he doesn't, then his non-appearance would tell its own story.

He will be up against a lot of old team-mates, and will obviously be keen to impress, but as I said on Match of the Day after Liverpool's draw with Blackburn, I just think Carroll has lost some of the edge which made people afraid of him when he played for the Magpies and used to knock defenders all over the place.

He put a lot of fear into people when they came to St James' Park, and I don't think he does that anymore. Maybe it's because he doesn't play that regularly - he could be one of these players who needs that - but he definitely needs a goal.

Still, it would be typical of the way football goes if Suarez doesn't play and then Liverpool go out and score more than one goal without him, whether or not it is Carroll who gets them.

It's like Groundhog Day watching Liverpool at Anfield at the moment - they make a load of chances but if the opposition keeper is not outstanding then they hit the post and bar or the finishing is not up to scratch.

That has limited the goals they have scored and meant they have dropped points while staying unbeaten at home.

As for Newcastle, their victory over a poor Bolton side on Boxing Day was a huge result for them because it meant they got back to winning ways after a six-game wait.

The Magpies are going to be rather in limbo for a few weeks from the middle of January when Demba Ba goes to the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal, and I cannot see them getting anything from this game either.

Prediction: 2-0

Now the score seems hardly unreasonable (though it's quite funny the amount of times we've won this season when he's predicted us to lose). However, he writes some absolute rubbish. Typically he spends the majority of it talking about Liverpool and is reluctant to blame their poor finishing for their disappointing home results. But despite his comments about their bad luck in front of goal and Carroll's disappointing season, he still goes on to say he can't see us getting anything out of the game. Not that he needs to give a reason though, probably because we're not Liverpool. For some reason he has to bring Demba Ba going to the ACN into it - what that has to do with tomorrow's match in which he should be playing, I have no idea.
Original post by MrPhil
Mark Lawrenson really is a complete goon.

Now the score seems hardly unreasonable (though it's quite funny the amount of times we've won this season when he's predicted us to lose). However, he writes some absolute rubbish. Typically he spends the majority of it talking about Liverpool and is reluctant to blame their poor finishing for their disappointing home results. But despite his comments about their bad luck in front of goal and Carroll's disappointing season, he still goes on to say he can't see us getting anything out of the game. Not that he needs to give a reason though, probably because we're not Liverpool. For some reason he has to bring Demba Ba going to the ACN into it - what that has to do with tomorrow's match in which he should be playing, I have no idea.

Such a biased analysis. He barely mentions Newcastle at all and you're right; what does Demba Bas departure to the ACN have to do with this match? We can definitely get something from the game, if Blackburn can scrape a draw then we're in with a fighting chance. Remember we scraped a draw with Manchester United - anythings possible.
Lawro really hates Newcastle and loves Liverpool doesn't he. I'm sure Liverpool would be top and Newcastle bottom if you add up all the predictions from week 1 :rofl2:

It does seem he is getting Wolves and Magpies mixed up.
Reply 1928
Original post by KingGoonIan
Such a biased analysis. He barely mentions Newcastle at all and you're right; what does Demba Bas departure to the ACN have to do with this match? We can definitely get something from the game, if Blackburn can scrape a draw then we're in with a fighting chance. Remember we scraped a draw with Manchester United - anythings possible.
Shouldn't have anything to do with this match unless Lawro thinks the team will be too pre-occupied worrying about how we will score when Ba leaves in the coming weeks. He isn't very good at logic, Lawro.

I would be very pleased with a draw and a solid performance. We definitely have a chance to get something from this game and Liverpool aren't great really, although typically Stevie G is back just in time, ready to tear us apart...
Reply 1929
Gerrard will probably play, you know he likes scoring against us (absolute screamers) the cockhead.

It is going to be unbelievably annoying if Carroll breaks his drought against us.

Spoiler

Man United are to make a shock move for Andy Carroll in the January transfer window. Apparently they want to have Shrek AND Donkey up front.

And Sunderland above us and us on -12 GD when it's actually +3.
Reply 1932
0-0 with both sides fluffing a load of chances probably
Original post by L18

Ba rarely if ever fluffs chances.
1-1 newcastle score first with ba. Boring as hell first half with maybe a goal. Second half will become interesting and newcastle will be dominated from 70th minute till the end of the match and downing whips a bunch of crosses into the middle when no one is there and everyone is having a bunch of half chances, krul makes a bunch of amazing saves and carroll hits the post a couple of times with bellamy and henderson misses, someone has a bunch of chances. Then the commentator says, best game of the season,' I don't know how liverpool didn't win this.'

Yes I watch too many liverpool matches.
According to NUFC.com, our last player to score at Anfield was Patrick Kluivert in 2004!
Reply 1936
Original post by jam277
1-1 newcastle score first with ba. Boring as hell first half with maybe a goal. Second half will become interesting and newcastle will be dominated from 70th minute till the end of the match and downing whips a bunch of crosses into the middle when no one is there and everyone is having a bunch of half chances, krul makes a bunch of amazing saves and carroll hits the post a couple of times with bellamy and henderson misses, someone has a bunch of chances. Then the commentator says, best game of the season,' I don't know how liverpool didn't win this.'

Yes I watch too many liverpool matches.
That wouldn't actually surprise me at all, especially the commentator's quote.
Reply 1937
Original post by L18

I'd take this.
Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, R.Taylor; Obertan, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez; Vuckic; Ba

Vuckic starting presumably in his favoured position just behind the striker, awesome! Really lookin forward to this one.
haway the toon army!!!

vuckic is promising but to leave ben arfa out is not good, he needs to start playing more 90 minute games because once Ba is gona the the african cup of nations, he will not be performing to his potential.

Latest