The Student Room Group

How hard are these subjects?

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being lowest and 10 the highest, how hard are these subjects?

AS

Maths
Further Maths
Computing
Physics

A2

Maths
Computing
Physics

Also how much time and effort is needed for a A/A* grades in these subjects
Reply 1

Depends on if you listen in classes. If you do, just doing 4-6 past papers would be sufficient for A* in maths and further maths, not sure about the others
Reply 2
AS Maths and Physics are hard, but if you continually put the effort in throughout the year the top grades will be well within your grasp. A2 Maths is similar to AS, however Physics at A2 requires a bit more natural talent to get the top grades.
Reply 3
Maths- on a scale of 1-10, i'd give it 20.
Original post by bench
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being lowest and 10 the highest, how hard are these subjects?

AS

Maths
Further Maths
Computing
Physics

A2

Maths
Computing
Physics

7/10 for the average person.

Not a lot imo. Some people will disagree though...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bench

AS

Maths
Further Maths
Computing
Physics

A2

Maths
Computing
Physics

Depends on the way your brain works. If you are mathematically and logically minded you are going to find them fairly easy. If you are more artistic or into essay writing, you are going to struggle.
I find those subjects easy but I can't draw and hate writing essays so would probably struggle with Art, English etc.
If you are trying to decide which subjects to take, you need to think about what you are good at and what you want to do afterwards.
If you are thinking of Computing - have you ever tried doing some programming?
Some people, even those with A*s in their GCSEs, find programming very difficult.
Others find it very easy.
Reply 6
Original post by sagederby
Depends on the way your brain works. If you are mathematically and logically minded you are going to find them fairly easy. If you are more artistic or into essay writing, you are going to struggle.
I find those subjects easy but I can't draw and hate writing essays so would probably struggle with Art, English etc.
If you are trying to decide which subjects to take, you need to think about what you are good at and what you want to do afterwards.
If you are thinking of Computing - have you ever tried doing some programming?
Some people, even those with A*s in their GCSEs, find programming very difficult.
Others find it very easy.

Yeah i'm currently 16 and i want to be at the high end of the pay scale for computer programming, i've learnt the basics of C and now moving on to visual basics as that the thing we will be using at collage :biggrin:
Reply 7
Compared to Further Maths, Maths is a joke, particularly as AS level - it's basically just A* GCSE stuff in C1 and then extension of that in C2 (if you did Additional Maths, you've done most of it anyway). Further Maths at As is not too difficult, if you have good maths skills then you should be fine - you just do two applied modules and then one further maths module, which is pretty straightforward anyway. Physics is not too much bother either, if you put the work in you'll come out well. Computing is the only one of these I don't do, but from people that do, it is apparently more difficult than maths and physics and the exams can be tricky too.
Maths - 3/4 (but I've only done AS)
It depends entirely on how you did at GCSE. But in general, those are fairly hard subjects. You've avoided A2 Further Maths, which may be a good thing, so 7/10 maybe?

It also depends on the exam board. OCR MEI Maths is harder than AQA Maths.
Reply 10
I sat OCR MEI AS May 11 and found it so hard did any one else? Sam

Quick Reply

Latest