The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Eee, assessment centre on July 14th for English! Anybody else? This all seems so real now - but very exciting!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by missvictoria
Me too on the 25th starting at 10AM! But to teach English in secondary.

I'm surprisingly nervous!

Hey I have my AC on the 25th at 10am too! aghh feel ridiculously nervous! This is my first ever 'big' interview so although they've kind of told us what to expect.. still have no idea!
Hello everyone,

looks like you are all ahead of me in the application process. I am currently working on my application, wanting to do primary school teaching.
Reply 43
If any of you need any advice or have any questions, feel free to ask me either here or via PM. I was unsuccessful for 2011 entry but they did give me vast feedback on what I should have done. I have now secured a PGCE thankfully.
Reply 44
Im through to stage 2. got an interview on 19th july for primary. first 'propper' interview but not especially nervous. from people ive spoken to then its all very nice and friendly. just make sure you know the competencies and have answers to them.

im a bit on edge about the group task as have heard different things from different people about how they went about it. eg, one guy completly took control whilst another sat back and listened. any advice here would be appreciated.

also, with the leson, do you think its a good idea to ask the 'pupils' their names? or are you given these?

chears,

well done everyone. the course sounds amazing :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by fetster
Im through to stage 2. got an interview on 19th july for primary. first 'propper' interview but not especially nervous. from people ive spoken to then its all very nice and friendly. just make sure you know the competencies and have answers to them.

im a bit on edge about the group task as have heard different things from different people about how they went about it. eg, one guy completly took control whilst another sat back and listened. any advice here would be appreciated.

also, with the leson, do you think its a good idea to ask the 'pupils' their names? or are you given these?

chears,

Hey fetster,

I have an AC in London on 19th July too! So excited :biggrin:

M.
Reply 46
Original post by fetster

chears,

The group task was what messed me up. You need to be creative and get the balance right. You must make yourself heard, while letting others have their say. Like make a point and then ask someone else what they think of it try and get everyone involved. I was in with some big personalities and could barely get a word in so you need to be prepared as everyone is trying to impress and take control, the main aspect though is teamwork and assessing how you interact with others. Prepare to evaluate your performance as well.

Knowing the competencies though is essential. Have two examples prepared for each one but they are continually assessed throughout the day with the interview group task and lesson.

With the lesson, you are indeed given their names. Make it as interactive as possible, they need to be doing most of the work not you.

Hope that helps.
I've just found out I have been unsuccessful in getting to the assesment stage.

A little bit surprised as I thought I'd sent off a good application and have a 2:1 in first and second year and got AAA in A levels. I know it's competitive, but I did think I'd get to the assesment stage.

Thankfully, I'm not too disheartened as I'd started to think again about the programme. But it has got my worried that I'm not good enough for other graduate schemes.
I have been offered a place at the assessment centre in London on the 21st July, is anyone else going on that day?
Reply 49
Hey! Im at the assessment cent 13th July- for English! Im excited/nervous... :-)
Reply 50
Original post by student28
Hey guys, I've started the application for secondary English but I'm not sending it off yet because I wanted to get my second year results. I was just wondering if everyone that has applied all have a 2:1? The problem I have is that my grades are good enough up until college, but then when I got to uni I totally let loose and didn't prioritise my work so have been on the borderline for a 2:1. I'd like to think I was capable if I put in 100% effort (my intention for final year) but was wondering if they'd even give me the chance to go to the assessment centre. Are they very strict? Thanks :smile:

Hey, I just got through to the A/C for Science with having just graduated with a 2.2, so just go for it. I may be wrong, but I think your work experience and answers to the questions are more important. Hope that helps.
Reply 51
Original post by HayMedow
Hey! Im at the assessment cent 13th July- for English! Im excited/nervous... :-)

Hey I have AC on 13 July for English too, hp to c u then :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by Last Summer's Dream
I've just found out I have been unsuccessful in getting to the assesment stage.

A little bit surprised as I thought I'd sent off a good application and have a 2:1 in first and second year and got AAA in A levels. I know it's competitive, but I did think I'd get to the assesment stage.

Thankfully, I'm not too disheartened as I'd started to think again about the programme. But it has got my worried that I'm not good enough for other graduate schemes.

There is always a reason for these things.... am positive there is something better for you round the corner x
Reply 53
Original post by moseleygirl
I have been offered a place at the assessment centre in London on the 21st July, is anyone else going on that day?

I'm on the 21st too :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Luther83
Hey I have AC on 13 July for English too, hp to c u then :smile:

Great! Im pretty excited, im sure it will be a great experience! :-)
Quite a strange question - but does anyone know what the success rate is like at the AC? Someone said 80% to me, but that can't be true!
Reply 56
Original post by misseckleburg
Quite a strange question - but does anyone know what the success rate is like at the AC? Someone said 80% to me, but that can't be true!

I don't know any stats, but the fact that they don't actually have quotas and take anybody who meets the criteria probably means it's pretty high.
Reply 57
best thing is that they are planning on doubling in size this year :smile:

i was under the impression about 10% of applicants got through. not sure if thats all applicants or just those on assessment centres.

sarah is bang on saying its more about how you answer the questions. ive been bumming around for the last 4 years since finishing uni and nowhere on the application did it ask what i had been doing withmyself, or to provide a work history.
Reply 58
I really want this! Im just not 100% sure what is gunna tick their boxes! :-)
Reply 59
Original post by HayMedow
I really want this! Im just not 100% sure what is gunna tick their boxes! :-)

I'm on for English at the AC on 13th July too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending