The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redwood_phoenix
Okay - I pretty much have answers to all the questions now I just need to work on this whole word limit thing! Had to think quite hard about that last question on resilience.

I find it a struggle to come up with different examples from different aspects of my life as there's definitely one or two areas where I've gained a lot of experience and skills and feel examples from there could perhaps be stronger than other examples, but I've been limiting myself. I do currently have two answers from the same aspect of my life but from different angles...as I'm not too sure what else would fit.

I'm also struggling on the resiliance question...
Reply 581
ahhh just submitted my application and I'm soo nervous!! The word limit was horrible, I found it really hard to cover everything they said they wanted in so little words!! Just the waiting game now...fingers crossed...

does anyone know will they contact us regardless of whether we are successful or not? I know they said they cannot give feedback at this stage, but will they at least let us know if we dont get through?

xox
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi

I wondered if anyone could post the questions here that they had to answer on the application form? I'm just curious as I am hoping to apply next year. Thanks.
I have just been invited to an Assessment centre on 25th...2 weeks today...eek!!!!!
Reply 584
Hi Everyone,
Good Luck with applications and the assessment centre.
I am really trying to perfect my answers to the questions before I send it off.
Quick question, I have selected secondary over primary for my preference. Do we get to select a topic?
I want to do History (My degree is in history so I understand its more than likely they will use me as a History candidate) but just checking I’ve not missed it on the form.
Jade x
Reply 585
I've just been invited to an assessment centre on the 25th too.. can't believe it's only two weeks away!

Jadey-xo, I don't think you can select a subject on the form - I think (but I could be wrong) that they allocate you to a subject when they make you an offer.
Does anyone know whether they're flexible about things if you can't attend the assessment centre they allocate you to? I was going to finish and send my application very soon, but I'm very busy until around the middle of July with more school experience, degree results day, completely moving out of my uni house and graduation, and if I were allocated to an assessment centre two weeks after I send my application (assuming my form was good enough!) I'm really not sure whether I'd be able to go. I live ages away from London at both home and uni as well, which makes things even more awkward. So maybe I should hold off on sending my form for a while? Confusing :frown:
I'm moving back from Lancaster to Hampshire on July 9th so I might try and wait before submitting - though I'm not ready to submit just yet as I want my answers to be perfect, and they're currently over the word limit. As it is, I've already been down South twice this month.

I didn't realise they held assessment centres in June - I thought they were July onwards.

I went to an application workshop in March/April and they mentioned something about recruiters getting in touch before we submit - has anyone here heard from a recruiter for their uni?
Original post by r13
I've just been invited to an assessment centre on the 25th too.. can't believe it's only two weeks away!

Jadey-xo, I don't think you can select a subject on the form - I think (but I could be wrong) that they allocate you to a subject when they make you an offer.

Jadey you don't select a subject. Once they have offered you a place a t the assesment centre they send you an email with lesson titles on exactly a week before. There is one lesson for each subject and if you want to do primary you choose any subject you want. The lesson is 7 minutes to two recruiters acting as KS3 kids!! Then when TF make you an offer they will choose your subject. I did AC last year with a guy who did a Law degree and wanted English but they made him an offer to teach D+T as he did Graphics A level. When you apply to TF you apply to the scheme not for a subject in particular.

It's the same with regions...you can express a preference but they will always place you in the area/subject where you are needed most.

R13...I will see you on 25th, can't believe it's so soon!!!!!!!!

To the person who asked if they are flexible - I couldn't make the date I was offered last year as I'm in the RAF and was away on exercise but I e mailed and they changed my date 10 mins later!!

TF are SUPER helpful

Oh, and a recruiter will get in touch before you submit your form if you take a little while. I sent mine 2hrs after I registered so I don't think they had chance this year lol! They also give you a call a couple of days before the AC to see if you are prepared or have any questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Having some real trouble with the word limit on the questions!
Also struggling in regards to handing the application in. I'm on holiday for two weeks from 20th-4th so I don't know whether to submit before, during or after! I don't want to submit and be too late but then I don't want them to schedule me for an assessment day (should i be so lucky!) during my holiday! ahhh!
How are people answering this question?
"Please give an example of when you have worked with people who are very different from yourself. We are particularly interested in any charity/teaching/voluntary work you have undertaken. (Please limit to 150 words)"
Do they just want one example? And for us to demonstrate how we meet the qualities they want? Not sure what to say! :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I'm going to talk about my experience at Guides as we have a girl in a wheelchair and I'd previously not been around wheelchair users before. I think TF also like it if you throw in some keywords related to humility, respect and empathy.

I'm currently doing an MA and thought about talking about my experience with so many internationals - a lot of postgrad are international at my uni so people on my course and in my flat are different to me. But I think I can get more out of the Guides example...also want to talk about Guides for leadership so hopefully two questions from the same experience isn't too much. :s
Original post by redwood_phoenix
I think I'm going to talk about my experience at Guides as we have a girl in a wheelchair and I'd previously not been around wheelchair users before. I think TF also like it if you throw in some keywords related to humility, respect and empathy.

I'm currently doing an MA and thought about talking about my experience with so many internationals - a lot of postgrad are international at my uni so people on my course and in my flat are different to me. But I think I can get more out of the Guides example...also want to talk about Guides for leadership so hopefully two questions from the same experience isn't too much. :s

Are you going to talk about how you interacted with them then? Like how you showed respect, empathy ect? Im wanting to talk about my work with people with autism but I don't want to look patronising toward them if you understand what I mean?
I was going to say when I first went to uni, but alas, the question specifies someone you have 'worked' with.
Yeah, I'm going to say something along the line of though I'm careful about which games I run (due to her limited mobility) I generally watch and see what she can do and only offer help if she looks like she needs it (as I would with the other girls). For example with crafty activities she struggles with really fine motor things like putting on a little sticker or something and though I know this I don't go 'oh poor kid will have trouble with this, I'll do it for her' I let her ask for help. So by letting her take the lead and being independent I'm showing respect and empathy.

I think talking about your work with autism could be good - I guess it all just depends how we word it. And I guess trying to demonstrate humility, respect and empathy is sort of about not being patronising. They're asking about people who are very different to us so I expect they'd be interested in this kind of thing.
Application sent off for Secondary English (hopefully!). Now it's just a waiting game. Nerves have set in already.
Good luck!

I spent the day visiting my old school and observing some lessons. I'm thinking of applying for cover/study supervisor positions to gain some experience. Although not a TF school (so I expect behaviour challenges will be different and perhaps a few more issues), it's given me a good insight into school from an adult perspective and hasn't frightened me off!

Doing some more tweaking of my application - I've rewritten a few of my answers and got them to 160 - need to edit a few words out still!
Does anyone know how recent the examples you use in your answers have to be? I will be 22 when I apply next year but I want to talk about something I did at 16. Thanks x
TF rang me and I missed the call :frown: but the recruiter left me a really nice answerphone message offering support and asking me to call back for advice etc. They seem so lovely!

Seeing as I'm still on the competencies and am holding off on sending my application for a bit, would any lovely person let me know how many contacts for references we have to provide? One or two?
Original post by rainbow drops
TF rang me and I missed the call :frown: but the recruiter left me a really nice answerphone message offering support and asking me to call back for advice etc. They seem so lovely!

Seeing as I'm still on the competencies and am holding off on sending my application for a bit, would any lovely person let me know how many contacts for references we have to provide? One or two?

Two. One academic and one other
Reply 598
Hi everyone,
Hope all your applications and AC prep are going well!
I've got an AC on the 28th for hopefully primary, possibly English - I'm doing a joint degree so it's up to the uni that provides the PGCE whether I'm eligible for primary, which adds to the nerves slightly!
Original post by *~laura~*
Hi everyone,
Hope all your applications and AC prep are going well!
I've got an AC on the 28th for hopefully primary, possibly English - I'm doing a joint degree so it's up to the uni that provides the PGCE whether I'm eligible for primary, which adds to the nerves slightly!

How long did it take them to reply to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending