The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Does anyone think I would be allowed to take full AS and A2 history next year so i can get it before i go to uni? I am doing very well in Maths/Further Maths (A*s) but not too great in Physics (C/D) and i need to get another A because i am being encouraged to try for Cambridge to do Maths and will not likely achieve this in Physics. I know i will do well in History. I have not yet spoken to the teachers, I will have to at enrolment in August.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 981
Original post by oh_1993

Original post by oh_1993
Does anyone think I would be allowed to take full AS and A2 history next year so i can get it before i go to uni?

Read back your question. Do you honestly think that anybody will be able to answer it with the information given?

The only answer is "maybe, it depends on your exam centre" which you'll probably claim doesn't help very much.
Reply 982
Original post by Juno
Read back your question. Do you honestly think that anybody will be able to answer it with the information given?

The only answer is "maybe, it depends on your exam centre" which you'll probably claim doesn't help very much.

Edited now, i lack common sense at times
Reply 983
Original post by BeccaCath94
I sent you a messgae but dont know if i did it right...can you let me know if it didnt work :smile:

what list? i am missing something useful?
Original post by oh_1993
Edited now, i lack common sense at times

Juno's answer still stands :yes:
I've just finished my very first personal statement draft. Man, it was such a bitch to write :') I'm applying for veterinary medicine and it is almost impossible to fit all your work experience in without making it sound like a giant list. I'm 1000 characters over, but i've sent it to my mentor and hopefully he can tell me what to cut.

I'm really scared none of the universities I apply for will interview me :frown:
Original post by paddy__power
I've just woken up so doubt this is going to end up explaining what I want it to explain but if it isn't clear I will amend it on request, lol.

In short - I think what you outline above is fine; there is no need to artificially relate everything back to yourself beyond stating you've done it, and what you gained from it etc because it is essentially implicit that anything stated in a personal statement is related to the person, if you see what I mean. I'm not sure that I fully understand how much further you can make it about you without it becoming meaningless. Showing you understand is much better achieved by making a penetrating comment about X, or making a comparison to Y theory you thought explained Z in a far less believable way and explain why. This is preferably to simply prefixing a statement with "I understand that..." which, while often fine, is not a magically persuasive phrase.

Just aim for a statement which reads naturally, is concise and relevant, and doesn't have too much nonsense about how you are a house captain or whatever other stuff people think they care in the slightest about :tongue:

Now - coffee time. I left my laptop on so this was literally typed as soon as I woke up :lol:

Thanks for the help! I feel special about this post being the first you typed in the morning. :colondollar:
Original post by punctuation
Thanks for the help! I feel special about this post being the first you typed in the morning. :colondollar:

Haha you're welcome. :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
Look at the HEAP book? That's got everything do with offers, it'll be really useful for you :smile:

I second this. Heap is god.
It probably isn't humorous, and given that there is a good chance the person who reads it won't think so, yes - it probably is a waste of space. If you really want to put it that's your call though.

Nice assumption to make right there. It might not be interpreted as purposefully funny, so will tutors look down on it if it isn't outright obvious?

I mean the quote is "Not only does the English Language borrow words from other languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over the head, and goes through their pockets."

My tutor found it funny and was enthusiastic to put it in there and I am of course looking for other quotes, but if you read that would you think it to be a joke or humorous?
Reply 990
Original post by goussberry

Nice assumption to make right there. It might not be interpreted as purposefully funny, so will tutors look down on it if it isn't outright obvious?

I mean the quote is "Not only does the English Language borrow words from other languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over the head, and goes through their pockets."

My tutor found it funny and was enthusiastic to put it in there and I am of course looking for other quotes, but if you read that would you think it to be a joke or humorous?

The quote doesn't explain why you want to study English Language at uni so is essentially pointless.
Original post by madders94
Buzzword and work experience information and booklet to fill in. They're refusing to send it, saying that they weren't aware I wasn't at college last week, despite me e-mailing and my mum phoning and actually telling the receptionist to pass it on to this particular tutor that I wouldn't be there, and he's saying they had no idea where I was. So basically, they didn't live up to their policy to call parents - for all they knew, I could have been telling my parents I was going to college every morning, but actually going off getting into trouble :rolleyes: I'm hoping to transfer to a different college this year. It's quite awkward, when it's the biggest group of colleges in North Wales, but there's one that's harder to get to but will hopefully be better organized than this one.

In this case, the buzzword is of no use to you anyway.

I like it :biggrin:

Tutors do not all have the same opinions, so talking about whether "tutors" will do X isn't really helpful. More helpful to remember is that they are people and, as such, will have vastly and definitely variable notions of what is and isn't funny - add to this the fact that your job with a PS is not to make them laugh and whether or not a joke is a good use of space will usually become obvious. Being funny doesn't help - I made several jokes in my Cambridge interviews which they laughed at but they still rejected me :lol:

With regards to the specific quote: it is clear it is meant to be humorous, but I really think you would be better served explaining what you mean. It doesn't really borrow them either, it incorporates them - language is diachronic and all that, but this is me being pedantic :tongue:

Why are you looking for other quotes? You don't need quotes, generally statements are better without them.
What?? Is there some examples on TSR??

Yes, there are. Some of them are so bad I use them as examples of what not to do with my students. Take them with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Beebumble
Just write everything you want not even thinking about the character limit and then delete the bits that you feel arn't as strong. That seems the best way.:smile:

I'm a bit confused on paragraphing. Is the paragraph space just counted as one character or more?

It's best to put a whole line of spaces between paragraphs and every one of them costs, I'm afraid. However, the 'wall of text' effect if you don't is so off-putting, it's an investment well worth making.
They will have ready almost everything before so will read on anyway, and often if you find something that has never been used before there is a good reason why.... :tongue:

Very, very true. Save amazing originality for your first novel.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, there are. Some of them are so bad I use them as examples of what not to do with my students. Take them with a pinch of salt.

Haha aww ok thank you :smile:
I've looked at some of them and they are either very specific (ie i went to america to learn english for a year after 3 yrs in korea) or stupid....but they're a start i guess :biggrin:
Haha aww ok thank you :smile:
I've looked at some of them and they are either very specific (ie i went to america to learn english for a year after 3 yrs in korea) or stupid....but they're a start i guess :biggrin:

They're certainly a start, but don't let them be the finish! There's a journalism one where the applicant has obviously gone through the thesaurus and bunged in every word which takes his fancy regardless of meaning and it makes me howl with laughter every time I read it. Better to be solid, purposeful and successful than verbose, pretentious and hilarious.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
They're certainly a start, but don't let them be the finish! There's a journalism one where the applicant has obviously gone through the thesaurus and bunged in every word which takes his fancy regardless of meaning and it makes me howl with laughter every time I read it. Better to be solid, purposeful and successful than verbose, pretentious and hilarious.

Link?

Latest

Trending

Trending