The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegaffer91
One piece of advice I would give you if you plan to do it on a treadmill is to do it with a slight incline. I do a mixture and I find an incline of 1-2% is equivalent to running on "flat" ground outside.

Okay, thank you :smile: Really reluctant to do it outside as all the hills round me are as steep as your average staircase :')
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Okay, thank you :smile: Really reluctant to do it outside as all the hills round me are as steep as your average staircase :')

I would love to live next to a hill! Hill training is fantastic as you get fitter.
Original post by addylad
I would love to live next to a hill! Hill training is fantastic as you get fitter.

Ahaa, I may try it out a few weeks in. If you walk down the hill I live on too quickly, you feel like you're gunna fly forwards :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2043
Is it really really awful that I can only manage half of the first run!!??! I've been a heavy smoker for 10 years, i'm 26 now... :-/ Was anyone else here that useless to begin with? Because I'm struggling to see myself getting much fitter! HALPS!
Original post by polerina
Is it really really awful that I can only manage half of the first run!!??! I've been a heavy smoker for 10 years, i'm 26 now... :-/ Was anyone else here that useless to begin with? Because I'm struggling to see myself getting much fitter! HALPS!

I was that useless! Lots of people over on HealthUnlocked's forum about couch to 5k had the same experience - just keep plugging away at W1 until you can complete all the runs :smile:
Starting week 3 again after two weeks off from have close exams and finishing etc. Found it really hard, but was able to complete it which made me happy :smile:
Reply 2046
Started this today, went straight to week 3, is this ok? Weeks 1 and 2 sounded quite easy for me...
Went well, won't be taking the dog with me next time though, turns out she doesn't like running pretty sure half of my effort was wasted encouraging her to speed up and stop sniffing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeHappy
Started this today, went straight to week 3, is this ok? Weeks 1 and 2 sounded quite easy for me...
Went well, won't be taking the dog with me next time though, turns out she doesn't like running pretty sure half of my effort was wasted encouraging her to speed up and stop sniffing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YAYY!
Running buddies with me and George at uni?! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finished week 9 on Sunday, although it was a terrible end to the program; with the heat half way through I had to revert to walking which I haven't had to do in quite a while.

Not even trying this week as its just to warm.
Original post by Triggstar
Finished week 9 on Sunday, although it was a terrible end to the program; with the heat half way through I had to revert to walking which I haven't had to do in quite a while.

Not even trying this week as its just to warm.

I get what you mean! Way too hot during the day to run, so either has be very early or late. And I'm rubbish at getting up early so evening it is :tongue:

Yesterday I had to go out slightly earlier at around 5 and even that was pushing it haha.
Managed to finish the first run on week 8 okay though.

Thinking I may drop the program now though seeing as I'm running 5k in about 26 minutes at the moment. Worried about losing motivation if I don't have a plan to follow though :confused:
Bumping this back up, serial lurker and haven't posted for a good while.

As of last night, i've 'graduated' from C25k and think i've come a long way since the last time I posted in this thread about just under two years ago. Back then due to time restraints i only managed to finish up to week 5, so it's fantastic to actually complete the program.

Essentially, i did this routine for a combination of weight loss and fitness for sport and i actually deviated away from the program slightly. I managed to complete c25k in 27 days by running each night consecutively without breaks and thus completing a week in 3 days. It was hard. I had a few painful days with lower back, tight calves and sciatica type pain but i've managed to push on though. The weather didn't exactly help either, as you all know running in this summer heat isn't ideal. But Its amazing how far you can come in such a small amount of time with a bit of will power. In combination with a low-cal diet, i've lost a significant amount of weight but more importantly now up to running 5km in 26/27 minutes and sprinting quicker than i ever have before at the end! I very much remember struggling with just 3 minutes of running around week 3....

I'm not sure where to go now, i'm probably going to stick with running 30 minutes a night on the street for a while and then start interchanging it with some HIIT. The Bridge to 10k does sound appealing so may give that try once 5k becomes routine (never thought i'd be able to say that!) but anyway i just wanted to add my bit to this great thread and as laura said hope to motivate someone else to share in the success.

All the best.
Wahhh haven't run once since being back from uni, gunna give it a go tonight although I'll have to start back at wk1d1. Where I live in so hilly in comparison to Manchester! :frown:
Original post by gozatron

I'm not sure where to go now, i'm probably going to stick with running 30 minutes a night on the street for a while and then start interchanging it with some HIIT. The Bridge to 10k does sound appealing so may give that try once 5k becomes routine (never thought i'd be able to say that!) but anyway i just wanted to add my bit to this great thread and as laura said hope to motivate someone else to share in the success.

I've been doing the Couch to 5K+ which is designed for those who have completed the original programme. It's designed so you can run to a certain speed and they increase during the sessions. There's a 'stepping stone', 'speed' (intevals) and 'stamina' podcast, and they've been good for me as I tend to start off too fast and drop off the pace half way through. I'm trying to mix up my running up a bit more, and decided to look into some other podcasts by Podrunner. I'm even designing a running schedule which I am sure is just another form of procrastination from my dissertation...
Original post by SilGathien
I've been doing the Couch to 5K+ which is designed for those who have completed the original programme. It's designed so you can run to a certain speed and they increase during the sessions. There's a 'stepping stone', 'speed' (intevals) and 'stamina' podcast, and they've been good for me as I tend to start off too fast and drop off the pace half way through. I'm trying to mix up my running up a bit more, and decided to look into some other podcasts by Podrunner. I'm even designing a running schedule which I am sure is just another form of procrastination from my dissertation...

Sounds really interesting, will have to give it a look in!

Can i ask what the speed (intevals) one is like? Is it kind of like run hard for 1 minute, slow for the next?
Original post by gozatron
Sounds really interesting, will have to give it a look in!

Can i ask what the speed (intevals) one is like? Is it kind of like run hard for 1 minute, slow for the next?

Interval session is 5 minute walking warm up, 5 minute at 150BPM, then 1minute at 165BPM followed by 1 minute at 150BPM and the 1 minute intervals are repeated 5 times after this before you cool down for 5 minutes. It's a really quick session actually, and a great work out!
Hi!
I'm thinking of starting this programme, really need to lose 10lbs but I've never been a sporty person!
I was wondering, will I actually need to spend a week on each 'week'? I'm not overweight and not completely unfit but I've never ran before in this way so I'm not sure whether I'd be better doing each exercise maybe 4 times and then moving on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babylotion
Hi!
I'm thinking of starting this programme, really need to lose 10lbs but I've never been a sporty person!
I was wondering, will I actually need to spend a week on each 'week'? I'm not overweight and not completely unfit but I've never ran before in this way so I'm not sure whether I'd be better doing each exercise maybe 4 times and then moving on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you need to repeat some runs, that's totally fine! It's just important that you leave a rest day between the runs to allow you to recover properly :smile:
Just finished week 4. I cannot believe I ran for 5 whole minutes, twice! When I started it, I struggled with the 60sec runs! Really looking forward to finishing the programme and being able to run for 30min! :smile:
Reply 2058
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd chip in my 2 cents...

Currently about to start Day 1 on Week 4. Love this programme because you can really see the progress your making every week & that really helps keeping you motivated. I listen to my own music on spotify & the app still works in the background telling you when to run etc. I'm actually really enjoying running & I think it gives you more motivation to eat healthy & vice versa.

Planning to hopefully move straight to the 10k programme once I've finished & hoping to be 'properly' fit & slim before I go travelling.
I think I might have to give this a go.. My fitness is terrible after years of being a coach potato!

If you download the podcast, presumably you can't listen to music at the same time?

I'll probably do this indoors on a treadmill but how do people manage the speeds? Whenever I've tried to run in the past (and failed miserably) I can never tell what kind of speed to run at and can't seem to find my comfort speed - always end up wildly ranging between 5.0 and 9.0 mph (or kmph?) and then giving up..

Quick Reply

Latest