The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

I've never been a runner, the furthest I've ever run was 1 mile in about 10 minutes, a couple of months ago. I tried the C25K program last year but gave up after a couple of weeks. I'm going to start it again soon, I'm just wondering how fast I be running? On the treadmill I usually run at 11-12 kmph (I think it's kmph, given that I can still walk when the display says 7) - that's the speed I want to be running at in the end, but would it be better to start slower and work my way up?
Also, what is everyone using? the NHS podcasts or one of the numerous apps?
Original post by Zerforax
I think I might have to give this a go.. My fitness is terrible after years of being a coach potato!

If you download the podcast, presumably you can't listen to music at the same time?

I'll probably do this indoors on a treadmill but how do people manage the speeds? Whenever I've tried to run in the past (and failed miserably) I can never tell what kind of speed to run at and can't seem to find my comfort speed - always end up wildly ranging between 5.0 and 9.0 mph (or kmph?) and then giving up..

Yeh you can't listen to music with it, just have to put up with Laura and her bad tastes! Never seemed to be a problem for me though, too busy just panting away to care :p:

Try something just above a very brisk walking pace and try to maintain that for the session. If you then start finding it too easy, increase your speed by a mile per hour or so!

Original post by rakusmaximus
I've never been a runner, the furthest I've ever run was 1 mile in about 10 minutes, a couple of months ago. I tried the C25K program last year but gave up after a couple of weeks. I'm going to start it again soon, I'm just wondering how fast I be running? On the treadmill I usually run at 11-12 kmph (I think it's kmph, given that I can still walk when the display says 7) - that's the speed I want to be running at in the end, but would it be better to start slower and work my way up?

12 kph is a very good pace for a beginner so may as well give it go. You may find the first few runs a big difficult at that pace but you'll soon build up stamina with. Key is just to keep going with the plan.
Original post by gozatron

12 kph is a very good pace for a beginner so may as well give it go. You may find the first few runs a big difficult at that pace but you'll soon build up stamina with. Key is just to keep going with the plan.

Thanks, I think I'll start it in mid September, when I won't be interrupted by holidays.
Hi guys, so today I started week 3 again *shock* - I've been very lucky and had some lovely holidays in the past 6 weeks, which has meant that I've done no running and put on 5 pounds, lovely. So I did W3R1 today, the first round was good, but the last one min of the 3mins I thought I was going to die (couldn't breathe), I forced myself through it and made myself walk after as I nearly had to sit down on the pavement. I really, really want to complete this program! My 52 year old mum has completed this and has been running 5k regularly 3 times a week since february, and I can just run 3 minutes - embarrassing. My aim is to run park run with her one saturday!

Happy Running everyone!!
Any ideas on how I can avoid injuries on this programme? Made it through week 3 and by then i had managed to pull my groin and develop shin pain to the point where it was incredibly difficult just to walk after a run.

I'm considering starting up again as I'm all right now, but I'd like some tips... I'm massively unfit (I weigh 90kg and I'm 162 cm, turning 22 this year) and I try to train but I usually start too hard and end up getting some kind of injury no matter the exercise I do. Any tips to strenghten my muscles in my knees and calves especially would be very appreciated as I think running is super fun and I'd like to be able to do it regularly :smile:
Original post by Skriblerier
Any ideas on how I can avoid injuries on this programme? Made it through week 3 and by then i had managed to pull my groin and develop shin pain to the point where it was incredibly difficult just to walk after a run.

I'm considering starting up again as I'm all right now, but I'd like some tips... I'm massively unfit (I weigh 90kg and I'm 162 cm, turning 22 this year) and I try to train but I usually start too hard and end up getting some kind of injury no matter the exercise I do. Any tips to strenghten my muscles in my knees and calves especially would be very appreciated as I think running is super fun and I'd like to be able to do it regularly :smile:

Do you have a bike? You could start by cycling a few days a week and running twice - I find cycling to be lower impact.
Bike seems like a good idea or even swimming.

Do you have decent enough running shoes is another consideration? Othewr thought is if you have access to one maybe try it on a treadmill first as its lower impact than running on a road.
Original post by Zerforax
If you download the podcast, presumably you can't listen to music at the same time?

There is this iPod/iPhone app called C25K which allows you to listen to your own music and hear the prompts at the same time. I don't think it's exactly the same as the NHS programme, but it's the same principle.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Do you have a bike? You could start by cycling a few days a week and running twice - I find cycling to be lower impact.

Original post by Triggstar
Bike seems like a good idea or even swimming.

Do you have decent enough running shoes is another consideration? Othewr thought is if you have access to one maybe try it on a treadmill first as its lower impact than running on a road.

Thanks, I'll probably try to do two sessions of jogging a week and supply with bike/swimming then :smile:

It's also probably down to shoes, but I can't afford getting special fitted shoes for my gait and pattern of walking/jogging at the moment. Over here, a pair of those costs about £150 depending on model :/
I'm not running on roads, only grit or forest paths. I learned this the hard way too :P
I wouldn't say you need fancy fitted shoes, I've read in various places fitted shoes are actually worse for injuries compared to those who run with less protection.

Although thats open to debate, I got a pair of Asics off Amazon form about £60-odd. You could get a set for just under £50. That's if you don't already have proper running shoes.
Original post by Triggstar
I wouldn't say you need fancy fitted shoes, I've read in various places fitted shoes are actually worse for injuries compared to those who run with less protection.

Although thats open to debate, I got a pair of Asics off Amazon form about £60-odd. You could get a set for just under £50. That's if you don't already have proper running shoes.

Think it's always going to vary person to person but generally I imagine fitted shoes would suit an individuals gait much better and leads to fewer repetitive strain injuries. Saying that, I ran the program (still running..) in £20 AstroTurf football trainers that I've had for a few years :p:
This thread seems to have died:tongue:?

After seeing this thread last week, I've decided to start the program! I went to start W1D1 yesterday at the gym but all of the treadmills were taken until I'd already done 30 minutes on the bikes and 15 on the crosstrainer - felt too worn out to start D1 after that!

I've decided that I'm going to try and do most of the program outside instead as eventually, I want to be able to quit the gym and just run outside instead; so I'm guessing it'll be most beneficial to start running outside!

There's a 5 and 10k race for life in my area in July - I really want to be able to enter the 10k one by then! Anyone think this is too optimistic? lol.
oh wow! I really want to start this again, I've tried several times but given up after week one! I'm living in Paris at the moment and there are no parks near my house and running isn't the 'done' thing around here like it is in England, I get enough weird comments as it is..
Original post by Sunshineeee

I've decided that I'm going to try and do most of the program outside instead as eventually, I want to be able to quit the gym and just run outside instead; so I'm guessing it'll be most beneficial to start running outside!

There's a 5 and 10k race for life in my area in July - I really want to be able to enter the 10k one by then! Anyone think this is too optimistic? lol.

I would definitely advise running outside! It is way less boring, I would not run if I was doing it inside a gym where all you have to go by is time!

As for the 5 / 10 k, it depends on your basic fitness. When I started I REALLY struggled to run for 60 seconds - I finished the plan in October and now run 4 miles consistently 3 times a week. I too would like to enter a 10k in the summer. Hopefully you're fitter than me from the start though and you may find the progress quicker and easier! Good Luck!
Original post by littlehobbit
I would definitely advise running outside! It is way less boring, I would not run if I was doing it inside a gym where all you have to go by is time!

As for the 5 / 10 k, it depends on your basic fitness. When I started I REALLY struggled to run for 60 seconds - I finished the plan in October and now run 4 miles consistently 3 times a week. I too would like to enter a 10k in the summer. Hopefully you're fitter than me from the start though and you may find the progress quicker and easier! Good Luck!

I second this! Especially if it's along an attraction (I like to go in the early morning when no ones around) time really flies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing this? I'm on W2D2
Original post by AspiringDoctor
Is anyone doing this? I'm on W2D2

I was on the same as you but I'm really ill at the moment, gutted I'll have to start again! Hopefully be back at the gym in a week or two :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I was on the same as you but I'm really ill at the moment, gutted I'll have to start again! Hopefully be back at the gym in a week or two :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll probably be on the same again at one point or another, I'm slacking! The end seems quite far off atm but I'm excited after hearing all the positive successes from people who struggled to go for even 1 minute and are regular runners now! :smile:
Original post by AspiringDoctor
We'll probably be on the same again at one point or another, I'm slacking! The end seems quite far off atm but I'm excited after hearing all the positive successes from people who struggled to go for even 1 minute and are regular runners now! :smile:

I know! I'm using it to try and get my stamina up, it's embarrassingly poor at the moment!

I did have one run where I had to quit early cos I kept getting cramp in my calves, hopefully that won't happen again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest