The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Okay here's (one of) my problem(s): I want to listen to my own music while I run - I like stuff like Lacuna Coil, The Pretty Reckless and Halestorm when I run. But I don't have a fancy phone to do interval stuff on (I think - I might have a trial app) so actually doing C25K is hard. I'm going to have a look on the Ovi store for some decent interval training apps and see if there's a decent one under a fiver. Then I'll have no excuse.

The other problem is that I'm being lazy. I can hear someone running outside my window now, but am I running? No, I'm in my PJs in bed with brownies and tea. :sigh:
Not gonna lie... this morning I knew I had to leave the house by 11 for something and at 9.30 I was in bed like 'I could go on a run... it would be vaguely tight on getting out... do I really want to... my leg kinda hurts... i should rest' and then I didn't go out. Tomorrow I will.
Just bought an interval timer that works on my phone and I can play music in the background with :woo: No excuses!

And because I accidentally topped up £10 instead of £5, I'm treating myself to another paid app (I never spend credit - each top up gets me free texts and internet allowance and I use Skype credit for my home phone). It's the simple things :teehee:

I'll go for a run around 6pm.
So, despite whining about the last run I went out today and managed a 10 minute jog followed by 5 minutes walk and a 7 and a hlaf minute jog again. The last 90secs/2mins of each jog was a bit of a push but overall an improvement from before! I think I'm one of those people that pushes too hard though and is too critical of themselves, because all the time I find myself gritting my teeth just to get that extra minute in or finished of a lap of the park I run round.

I'm following this running plan rather than the NHS one because I don't understand podcasts :tongue: :
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

so I reckon I'm at w5d2. hah, going off that I should beable to do a 20min run next, but I'm just going to do an 8min jog, 5 min walk, 8min jog to build confidence :smile:
Original post by AlligatorTears

Original post by AlligatorTears
So, despite whining about the last run I went out today and managed a 10 minute jog followed by 5 minutes walk and a 7 and a hlaf minute jog again. The last 90secs/2mins of each jog was a bit of a push but overall an improvement from before! I think I'm one of those people that pushes too hard though and is too critical of themselves, because all the time I find myself gritting my teeth just to get that extra minute in or finished of a lap of the park I run round.

I'm following this running plan rather than the NHS one because I don't understand podcasts :tongue: :
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

so I reckon I'm at w5d2. hah, going off that I should beable to do a 20min run next, but I'm just going to do an 8min jog, 5 min walk, 8min jog to build confidence :smile:

Well done!

That's still C25K - the NHS podcasts are just one of 100s of them made for C25K. I started with cool running last time I did this, but I didn't stick to it. I'm going to start at week 5 again today I think... This time I'm hoping for no injuries!
Reply 385
Original post by wanderlust.xx
It's raining outside and I run in a field, then insects sit on top of my glasses and it just gets really awkward and annoying...

Edit: Yeah so I manned up and went out anyway. Torrential rain in your face, wind pushing against you, soft ground making your feet slip... it was actually a lot of fun! Would have been a lot more fun if I'd completed the workout, mind you. :tongue:

Managed the 90 sec, 3 mins and the other 90 sec, but then I did half of the last 3 minutes, walked for 3 minutes, did the other half of the 3 minutes and then immediately went inside. No cooldown, the rain was pouring down (still is).

Concrete is bloody hard to run on, though! Shins are aching! :tongue:

Oh and normally I think I'd give up on running outside when it's raining, but I think it's a new challenge. :tongue: Bring on the winter months! :biggrin:

I know you're gonna hate this because it's taking so long for you to improve, but I'd really recommend doing week 3 again if you aren't fully completing the runs.

I only say this because you won't be ready for week 4 and that 20min run without stopping at the end of week 5 unless you do (says my podcast lady).
Commendable going out in the rain though, well done :biggrin:
Need to do my last run of week 8 and then I'm nearly finished. It's been too hot to go for a run though recently :sad:

Happy with my speed last time I went running, but at the moment it ranges between 5.5mph and 6mph :s-smilie:

Found a nice cyclic route to go running by my house, which I much prefer compared to the running halfway and turning back on myself thing I used to do.

Will hopefully get out this weekend!!
I've programmed the first run of week 5 into my phone. But because I just reinstalled my phone's software, I have to wait for it to find all of my music again :rolleyes: Then I'll go for a run. Not overly looking forward to it, but I have to do it.
Reply 388
W6D2 done! Woo. Now 25minute jog to go. Need to find a longer route.
****, half way through my first run my vision started to blur and I felt myself starting to feel like I was about to faint. I was out of breath just on the walking - I'm seriously not that unfit! I had to come home and now I feel rough, as I always do when this happens! My vision's still not back to normal.
Original post by Athena21
I know you're gonna hate this because it's taking so long for you to improve, but I'd really recommend doing week 3 again if you aren't fully completing the runs.

I only say this because you won't be ready for week 4 and that 20min run without stopping at the end of week 5 unless you do (says my podcast lady).
Commendable going out in the rain though, well done :biggrin:

I probably will repeat now that you've said that. I actually only struggled with w1. Not had much of a problem since then until I get wind and rain.

Hopefully I can get to w6 before I head off on holiday at the beginning of Sept!
Original post by Aemiliana
****, half way through my first run my vision started to blur and I felt myself starting to feel like I was about to faint. I was out of breath just on the walking - I'm seriously not that unfit! I had to come home and now I feel rough, as I always do when this happens! My vision's still not back to normal.

You've not had enough to eat to day.
Original post by xangelinax

Original post by xangelinax
You've not had enough to eat to day.

I've had about normal for when I go running. My dad thinks I might be asthmatic so I've got to go see my GP about it ASAP. I've been before but it was just after a chest infection so they weren't much help. :erm: I feel a lot better now, thankfully! My parents aren't too keen on me going running until after I've seen my GP though :sad:
Reply 393
Original post by Aemiliana

Someone mentioned food... but sounds a lot like you've not had enough to drink. Have a litre in the couple of hours before you go for a run. And about 200mls 20mins before you leave. Don't drink so much that you might get cramps though!!

I get migraines/bluriness if I do too much exercise, or exercise without drinking.

If you were out of breath on walking it could be asthma... but the migraine type stuff/faintness is unlikely to be related.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by hslt
Someone mentioned food... but sounds a lot like you've not had enough to drink. Have a litre in the couple of hours before you go for a run. And about 200mls 20mins before you leave. Don't drink so much that you might get cramps though!!

I get migraines/bluriness if I do too much exercise, or exercise without drinking.

If you were out of breath on walking it could be asthma... but the migraine type stuff/faintness is unlikely to be related.

Yeah, I think dehydration might have played a part.

Thankfully I'm (sort of) on medication for my migraines, but that's being removed on Tuesday. However, I don't think I've ever had one while exercising. They suck :hugs:

I've felt faint when I've had the same breathlessness before. I mean, lack of breathing does tend to lead to fainting! I'll be seeing my GP soon though so I can ask them what they think :yep:
Hey Everyone, new to the thread! Been reading all your stories and it's so good to see how much everyone is improving and stuff! I am extremely unfit, have tried running before, but hated it because I didn't think I was ever improving! However, I am determined to do it this time and by joining this thread, I know I'll have to keep going and be motivated to do so! Yesterday me and my mum completed W1D2 and are doing the next run tomorrow, I'm quite excited to get it going because it will be so good at uni to just be able to go out and run for half hour and get some fresh air!! Hope everyone else's running is going really well :smile:
I looked at the intervals you're meant to run today... I can't believe that you're going to be running an interrupted period by week 6... that's really soon :O
Original post by littlehobbit
Hey Everyone, new to the thread!

Oh hi! :biggrin: You're lucky your mum's running with you, it's a little bit of encouragement that'll help you later on when running gets more monotonous (or so I've heard). If your mum doesn't feel like running then you should go out regardless, though. That's what happened when I had a gym partner last year! When they couldn't go I felt like sitting at home too.

Original post by hothedgehog
I looked at the intervals you're meant to run today... I can't believe that you're going to be running an interrupted period by week 6... that's really soon :O

I know right! To be fair, I never thought I'd run for 3 minutes without stopping but I've managed it. I've got my last run of w3 today, and then I'll probably repeat the week. That leaves another 3 weeks to get to w6. Hopefully I can do that before I head off to America and stuff my face with Taco Bell. :h:
Original post by wanderlust.xx

I know right! To be fair, I never thought I'd run for 3 minutes without stopping but I've managed it. I've got my last run of w3 today, and then I'll probably repeat the week. That leaves another 3 weeks to get to w6. Hopefully I can do that before I head off to America and stuff my face with Taco Bell. :h:

Sounds like a plan. I'm meant to start week 3 as my next run... I should have gone yesterday but have it planned for tomorrow instead. I need to get into the running habit at home... it's really bad.

Sounds like a plan. I'm meant to start week 3 as my next run... I should have gone yesterday but have it planned for tomorrow instead. I need to get into the running habit at home... it's really bad.

You think your home running habit is bad!? I left uni on week 6 at the end of June. I'm yet to finish week 8 :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest