The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Starting it properly today. Wish me luck! :tongue:
I'm back at uni now so I'm starting up again on Monday. Unsure whether to repeat week 3 after a 2 week break or just see if I can man up and do week 4.... I'm just worried about week 5 ****ing me over if I did that though... thoughts?
Reply 582
Original post by hothedgehog
I'm back at uni now so I'm starting up again on Monday. Unsure whether to repeat week 3 after a 2 week break or just see if I can man up and do week 4.... I'm just worried about week 5 ****ing me over if I did that though... thoughts?

Like you said to me, there's no need to "man up"; it's not a race. Look at C25K as a bit of fun with coincidental superb health benefits as icing on the cake. If you're too worried, take it easy and do Week 3, but if you think you can handle it then do Week 4 or 5 and you'll probably be surprised by how much you can achieve : )
Started week 4 last night, was tough! I think my recover walks were faster than my runs, but at least I made it through the podcast :smile:
Original post by Riku
Like you said to me, there's no need to "man up"; it's not a race. Look at C25K as a bit of fun with coincidental superb health benefits as icing on the cake. If you're too worried, take it easy and do Week 3, but if you think you can handle it then do Week 4 or 5 and you'll probably be surprised by how much you can achieve : )

I'm not worried about it, I'd just like to progress without killing myself. I think I might try a week 4 run and see how I feel, I can always go back to week 3 if it kills me.

Maybe just run a week 3 run once to get back into the swing then hit Week 4?
Original post by gozatron
Maybe just run a week 3 run once to get back into the swing then hit Week 4?

That is an option I didn't think of!
Time to hit the dreaded week 5.

W5D1 go.
Week 7 complete. the 25 minute run felt good. I Cannot believe I went from being able to barely run for 1 minute to 25minutes!
Original post by manwholivesonthemoon
Week 7 complete. the 25 minute run felt good. I Cannot believe I went from being able to barely run for 1 minute to 25minutes!

Oh that is encouraging! I'm committed to it now, having just done W1D2 today :tongue: so it's nice to hear that!
Going for my first run in ages in a minute :headhurts:

Turns out all the blood tests I had done showed nothing and the chest X-ray was clear. However, since my overdraft has been cleared I haven't had another scary breathless thingy, so it may well have been totally down to stress!
Endomondo is just the best thing ever. Loving having a better phone! I only did 2.11km, average speed of 6.65km/hour :colondollar: I walked quite a bit on the way back - I thought I was close to the house but I wasn't :facepalm: I felt okay to do more running as well. Must do better :yep:

I didn't do C25k because endomondo and the C25k app I have don't like working at the same time :facepalm:
W4D2 tonight, I felt amazing and managed to cover a much bigger distance tonight that I did before :smile: Really pleased and can't wait for my next run.
did W3D3 yesterday, first time i've run on pavements/roads instead of track. wasn't too bad, apart from a long uphill bit. google maps says it is exactly 2miles, so thats pretty good! :smile: W4D1 tomorrow!! quite excited actually. also just worked out that i have 6 weeks of running left, and it is 6 weeks til my 18th!! so its a good incentive to complete it in time for that

i also just wanted to ask a question about weight loss through c25k. i have been trying to lose a bit for ages, and finally have started to see some results. i have been going to the gym as well 2/3 times a week, on alternate days to running generally. have people found they lost much weight through the running?

thanks
Wow just had a read through and definitely intend to do this :smile: Just posting so I can find the thread when I need it :biggrin: Thanks for posting this up! :smile:
W5D2 coming up!
Hi everyone, I've just spent ages reading through this and had a couple of questions so just thought I would ask.

Firstly, I don't have any proper trainers, only some cheap converse, is it essential I have proper trainers, because I don't really have the money for them at the moment? If so, which ones would people recommend?

I also saw this peodmeter posted a few times:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EG6CD4/ref=oss_product
It sounds good and I'd want to keep track of my distance and that sort of thing, would I need it when I start or am I okay to go ahead and start anyway?

Also, I don't own a sports bra and I think (never been measured) I'm a DD so would desperately need one. Would anyone recommend a decent one that wouldn't break the bank and cost the earth? I thought maybe M&S would be okay because I've saw them mentioned a few times too, and I also thought they might do measuring so I know I would definitely get one that fits?

But yeah, thanks to the OP for starting this thread, it's been a really interesting read and its inspirational to see everyone elses stories! I'm hoping to start in the next week or so, just probably in need of a decent bra first!
Original post by foundintransmission
Hi everyone, I've just spent ages reading through this and had a couple of questions so just thought I would ask.

Firstly, I don't have any proper trainers, only some cheap converse, is it essential I have proper trainers, because I don't really have the money for them at the moment? If so, which ones would people recommend?

I also saw this peodmeter posted a few times:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EG6CD4/ref=oss_product
It sounds good and I'd want to keep track of my distance and that sort of thing, would I need it when I start or am I okay to go ahead and start anyway?

Also, I don't own a sports bra and I think (never been measured) I'm a DD so would desperately need one. Would anyone recommend a decent one that wouldn't break the bank and cost the earth? I thought maybe M&S would be okay because I've saw them mentioned a few times too, and I also thought they might do measuring so I know I would definitely get one that fits?

But yeah, thanks to the OP for starting this thread, it's been a really interesting read and its inspirational to see everyone elses stories! I'm hoping to start in the next week or so, just probably in need of a decent bra first!

I don't think it's necessary to have proper running shoes but I would say that running in converse isn't a great idea. Get some 'real' trainers with some good arch support if you aren't willing to fork out an arm and a leg for running trainers. Make sure they're comfy and if possible get your gait tested when you go to buy a pair!

Couldn't comment on the pedometer so I won't! If you want to keep track of where you go then www.mapmyrun.com is great for doing so. I haven't used a pedometer because I just use that.

Sports bras shouldn't cost a lot. If you go to somewhere like M&S or BHS they should have a free measuring service so they can fit you some good bras and you can try some types on. Also, not to be offensive here, just down to earth - having DD boobs doesn't necessarily mean they're big, you could just have a tiny back size so need the larger cup. Anyway, you could find you don't have any problems with wobbling or bouncing when you run in the first place so don't actually want a sports bra. I find I don't have any problem so I just run in my boring day to day bras but if you feel like getting a sports bra is something you want then go get a few! Also, having new stuff sometimes forces you to go out running as you want to get your money's worth for it.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by Aemiliana
Going for my first run in ages in a minute :headhurts:

Turns out all the blood tests I had done showed nothing and the chest X-ray was clear. However, since my overdraft has been cleared I haven't had another scary breathless thingy, so it may well have been totally down to stress!

That's awesome, go you! ^ ^ It's amazing what anxiety can do to us and make us think about our health, but just by doing this you're beginning to stop it getting the better of you. 6.65k/h isn't bad for a first time especially with exercise anxiety, I'm only doing Week 2 at 8k at the moment so you're not alone : )
I don't think it's necessary to have proper running shoes but I would say that running in converse isn't a great idea. Get some 'real' trainers with some good arch support if you aren't willing to fork out an arm and a leg for running trainers. Make sure they're comfy and if possible get your gait tested when you go to buy a pair!

Couldn't comment on the pedometer so I won't! If you want to keep track of where you go then www.mapmyrun.com is great for doing so. I haven't used a pedometer because I just use that.

Sports bras shouldn't cost a lot. If you go to somewhere like M&S or BHS they should have a free measuring service so they can fit you some good bras and you can try some types on. Also, not to be offensive here, just down to earth - having DD boobs doesn't necessarily mean they're big, you could just have a tiny back size so need the larger cup. Anyway, you could find you don't have any problems with wobbling or bouncing when you run in the first place so don't actually want a sports bra. I find I don't have any problem so I just run in my boring day to day bras but if you feel like getting a sports bra is something you want then go get a few! Also, having new stuff sometimes forces you to go out running as you want to get your money's worth for it.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

I've tried to reply to this like 3 times now! My laptop keeps going funny :frown:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am going to have a look at getting some trainers then, I'm sure Ill be able to find some that don't cost the earth :smile:
And I'll look at that site too, I just wasn't sure what most people did on here so just thought I'd ask :smile:
I just said my cup, because I found when I tried running last time it was quite a hindrance, and I ended up wearing one of my normal bras, and a bandeau bra over it to try and attempt to get some support =/ And that was with me wearing a bra that I consider to be a good fitting one day to day, but doing that wasn't very comfortable so that's why I definitely think it would be worth me getting a sports bra. But I haven't had any in the past and really don't have a clue whether it's worth spending some real money on one (from the likes of M&S) or getting one from matalan or asda or something?
And I thought that about the spending money forcing me to do it thing :p: But I'm going on placement for uni in about a month and it costs alot so I'm trying to keep costs down to a minimum until I really get into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest