The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

I cant stand running , it really is my bane within fitness but I think I'm going to give this a good go :smile: , lift weights for a good few years now on a constant basis but have not touched cardio in a very long time so its time to break out the old running P.E Shoes , should they fit ;D.
Original post by OliverMSillick
I cant stand running , it really is my bane within fitness but I think I'm going to give this a good go :smile: , lift weights for a good few years now on a constant basis but have not touched cardio in a very long time so its time to break out the old running P.E Shoes , should they fit ;D.

I used to hate running but its much more enjoyable nowadays I find.
completed W5D1 this morning. Nice run - sunny, quite warm and very quiet out! good start to the day (and year!)
I've joined the club haha! Did W1D1 today and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Any motivation tips? Also should I take it slower as I'm asthmatic, I forgot my inhaler this morning and managed okay- but should I lower my expectations or anything due to it? :/
Original post by OliverMSillick

I used to think that, and still thought it for the first one or two weeks, until I started getting in to it and loved the progress I was making.

Really need to start again, although I haven't got a clue where to start. Don't think I'll have to go back to w1, but it's annoying as I was two-thirds of the way through the programme. But I will finish it! Wish I wasn't scared of dogs or the park across from my accommodation would be perfect at uni lol.
I want to start running outside, but it's wet and windy today and I've never run outside before.

I could just run on a treadmill but our gym is always mobbed and it's pretty intimidating. Glasgow is pretty much all flat so I could just go jogging every day - better than nothing.

When outside, how do you know how fast you're going/what distance you've covered? What do you eat? :confused:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

When outside, how do you know how fast you're going/what distance you've covered?

When I started running I used the path tool In Google Earth, draw your running route in and it gives you a fairly accurate distance.

Average speed for the run can be worked out by time and distance.

Knowing how fast you are actually running at a given time won't be exact unless you have GPS, but after a while you get a pretty good idea of the speed you are going based on previous experience.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
When I started running I used the path tool In Google Earth, draw your running route in and it gives you a fairly accurate distance.

Average speed for the run can be worked out by time and distance.

Knowing how fast you are actually running at a given time won't be exact unless you have GPS, but after a while you get a pretty good idea of the speed you are going based on previous experience.

What a smashing idea, thanks :awesome:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I want to start running outside, but it's wet and windy today and I've never run outside before.

I could just run on a treadmill but our gym is always mobbed and it's pretty intimidating. Glasgow is pretty much all flat so I could just go jogging every day - better than nothing.

When outside, how do you know how fast you're going/what distance you've covered? What do you eat? :confused:

Or you can use mapmyrun.com which is pretty much the same as the person above me said but a bit easier. It uses google so you can plot your routes on and tell it the time and it will give you all the stats in a much easier than working it all out yourself kind of way. You can also look back over your progress etc. which I think is good. You can also find lots of new routes etc from what other people have shared.
Original post by hothedgehog
Or you can use mapmyrun.com which is pretty much the same as the person above me said but a bit easier. It uses google so you can plot your routes on and tell it the time and it will give you all the stats in a much easier than working it all out yourself kind of way. You can also look back over your progress etc. which I think is good. You can also find lots of new routes etc from what other people have shared.

I have been advised to do some of this. I can and do run; but it's the time I struggle with.
Reply 791
I did completed this program last year. To those of you saying you don't have time - it only takes THIRTY MINUTES. I used to get home form work, have a break, get changed, travel to the gym, use the gym for an hour, travel home, shower... All you have to do with this program is fit in thirty minutes in the morning, before you're going to shower anyway. The moment you leave your front door, you've started. It's probably the most time-saving way that you can exercise.
I started a slightly different program back in summer and got to week 6 in october but haven't run since then. I went out today and expected to maybe be able to do week 4, but I could really only do week 2! I can't believe how unfit you can get so quickly, likewise how fit you can get so quickly! I will keep at it though, it is my new years resolution lol :smile:
Never run before in my life and just got back from my first workout. Really enjoyed it and to say how big and unfit I am I'm just so proud to have finished at all. Can't wait to do it again!
Startting week one on Monday!
Reply 795
I meant to start today but I couldn't find my iPod and the podcast wouldn't download onto my phone :frown: Just went for a jog but barely covered any distance before coming home. Does anyone know if you can get podcasts onto a Nokia? Would really like to do this!
Original post by SharkyM
I meant to start today but I couldn't find my iPod and the podcast wouldn't download onto my phone :frown: Just went for a jog but barely covered any distance before coming home. Does anyone know if you can get podcasts onto a Nokia? Would really like to do this!

You should be able to find ones which are mp3 files and then you'll be able to put them on any mp3 compliant device (eg. your nokia phone!). If you're looking at the NHS ones then I'm not sure if they have that but I use the podrunner ones and they've got mp3 versions on there. It's exactly the same intervals just dance music if you wanted to give it a try!
Did W5D1 for the second time today. Was good. Decided to re-do it as I haven't been very regular about running over christmas and return to college, so thought it was better to reconsolidate rather than move on. Will try to do W5D2 soon - maybe Wednesday. Bought some new running trainers with my christmas money so hopefully they will help.
Reply 798
Original post by hothedgehog
You should be able to find ones which are mp3 files and then you'll be able to put them on any mp3 compliant device (eg. your nokia phone!). If you're looking at the NHS ones then I'm not sure if they have that but I use the podrunner ones and they've got mp3 versions on there. It's exactly the same intervals just dance music if you wanted to give it a try!

Thanks! I'll give them a go :smile:
I went out earlier and completed W3D2! I've loved getting back in to it, and really want to make sure I make time to complete it this time round!

Quick Reply

Latest