The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

How did people find the transition from week 3 to week 4? Seems quite a big jump on paper!
Just found this thread, I did week 6 run 1 yesterday, run 2 tomorrow! I have very bad asthma and had to repeat week 1 and week 2 twice each, but since then I've found it much easier. Week 5 run 3 was a big step up, I never thought I could do it but I did!

I didn't know about the NHS version until now, I use an app on my iPhone called GetRunning which speaks to you above your music and tells you when to run/walk. It's very encouraging haha!
Original post by yayifications
Just found this thread, I did week 6 run 1 yesterday, run 2 tomorrow! I have very bad asthma and had to repeat week 1 and week 2 twice each, but since then I've found it much easier. Week 5 run 3 was a big step up, I never thought I could do it but I did!

I didn't know about the NHS version until now, I use an app on my iPhone called GetRunning which speaks to you above your music and tells you when to run/walk. It's very encouraging haha!

I like the sound of that...NHS music gets boring after a while.

Week 3 run 1 tomorrow. I hate the first runs of the week :frown:
Starting week 5 tomorrow... scary jump to 20 minutes on day 3 O_O
I've not been able to keep up with the runs due to injuries :sadnod: But going to try and do a run tomorrow :yep:
Tonight I'll hope to complete week 3 and find out if my new trainers resolve the shin splits of the last 2 sessions! I hope they do, I'm really enjoying running; cycling and swimming dont take my fancy.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Did run 1 of week 3 today. Pleasantly surprised, didn't seem too hard. This week should be fine :smile:

What week have people found the hardest so far? I guess the obvious answer is to say the week that you're on but maybe there are some that stand out?

EDIT: Just read what week 4 holds, sounds like quite a step up!!
(edited 11 years ago)
STILL haven't started this. Finally recovered from my illness, then went on holiday the next day. Was in an area not suitable to starting running, and really didn't have the time anyway! Then managed to injure myself on holiday - massive lump on one foot, and infected insect bites all around the other ankle so I can't get trainers on yet. Really annoyed as I'm looking forward to it, but getting started is so difficult!
Original post by ninegrandstudent
STILL haven't started this. Finally recovered from my illness, then went on holiday the next day. Was in an area not suitable to starting running, and really didn't have the time anyway! Then managed to injure myself on holiday - massive lump on one foot, and infected insect bites all around the other ankle so I can't get trainers on yet. Really annoyed as I'm looking forward to it, but getting started is so difficult!

Get yourself well then develop a zero tolerance attitude to avoiding doing it. Trust me, after run 1 it becomes part of your routine, and only takes ~20 mins for the majority of the programme.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Does everyone do the 5 min warm up/cool down walks. I tend to shorten them to about 2 mins :colondollar:
Original post by Airfairy
Does everyone do the 5 min warm up/cool down walks. I tend to shorten them to about 2 mins :colondollar:

I always do. It's quite convenient really, its perfectly timed to get from my front door to the park where I do the runs!
Reply 1391
Is it worth trying to build myself up to the 5K without following the NHS plan as I like to vary what I do, with badminton/gym/classes. I don't really do any outside running at the moment as I don't think I could run for long enough to make it worthwhile lol.

Are there any products people would recommend that can keep track of how far you're running?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1392
Original post by Airfairy

Yeah, it takes me past the point where I need to cross roads and onto a path. I also try to throw in some leg kicks and swings if nobody is looking!

Original post by Mess.
Is it worth trying to build myself up to the 5K without following the NHS plan as I like to vary what I do, with badminton/gym/classes. I don't really do any outside running at the moment as I don't think I could run for long enough to make it worthwhile lol.

Of course. The C25K programme isn't gospel. The only principles involved are starting very gently and increasing what you do each week.

If you can't run long enough to make it worthwhile, I would forget about distance for now. Make it your target to run for 20/30 mins and then worry about distance/speed. Then, all you need is a watch.

You could just start off running for 10mins and try to add 30-60secs on each second. Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard at first and also try to make sure that you do something more each couple of sessions whether it be running faster (if on treadmill) or running for a longer amount of time at the same speed. Of course, you could always go interval style and increase the total running time that way e.g. run/jog for a couple of minutes jog/powerwalk for a couple of minutes and then increase.
Reply 1393
Original post by Mark85
Yeah, it takes me past the point where I need to cross roads and onto a path. I also try to throw in some leg kicks and swings if nobody is looking!

Of course. The C25K programme isn't gospel. The only principles involved are starting very gently and increasing what you do each week.

If you can't run long enough to make it worthwhile, I would forget about distance for now. Make it your target to run for 20/30 mins and then worry about distance/speed. Then, all you need is a watch.

You could just start off running for 10mins and try to add 30-60secs on each second. Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard at first and also try to make sure that you do something more each couple of sessions whether it be running faster (if on treadmill) or running for a longer amount of time at the same speed. Of course, you could always go interval style and increase the total running time that way e.g. run/jog for a couple of minutes jog/powerwalk for a couple of minutes and then increase.

I can do about 15 minutes at speed 10 (gradient 1%) on a treadmill pretty comfortably but I don't really know how this translates to the real world :tongue:

Reply 1394
Original post by Mess.
I can do about 15 minutes at speed 10 (gradient 1%) on a treadmill pretty comfortably but I don't really know how this translates to the real world :tongue:

I don't think the difference is as big as people often make out. The main thing is that you have to get used to the roads/pavements pounding your legs more and you also have to get used to pacing yourself. I am sure you could do 15 mins on the roads albeit maybe a little bit slower the first couple of times.
Reply 1395
Original post by Mark85
I don't think the difference is as big as people often make out. The main thing is that you have to get used to the roads/pavements pounding your legs more and you also have to get used to pacing yourself. I am sure you could do 15 mins on the roads albeit maybe a little bit slower the first couple of times.

Pacing myself will be a nightmare as I was a sprinter so conserving energy doesn't feel natural :p:

Getting my arches used to the running seems to be the thing for me. Constant running and when I skip seems to make them cramp up a lot :confused:

How long would a jogging 5k take? (ish)

Reply 1396
Original post by Mess.

How long would a jogging 5k take? (ish)

It depends how you define jog but obviously 10km/h (which is what I presume the 10 on your treadmill is) takes 30mins.
Reply 1397
Original post by Mark85
It depends how you define jog but obviously 10km/h (which is what I presume the 10 on your treadmill is) takes 30mins.

Interesting :beard: Think I might build up to that over the next couple of months then.
My main problem is finding doing one thing for that amount of time incredibly boring especially if I don't have anyone to compete against.

Reply 1398
Original post by Mess.
Interesting :beard: Think I might build up to that over the next couple of months then.
My main problem is finding doing one thing for that amount of time incredibly boring especially if I don't have anyone to compete against.

On a treadmill, jogging is boring as hell - can you not find a nice route to go on?

Of course this type of thing depends on personality and taste, I mean, I enjoy just even walking into town or whatever so I don't need rolling countryside to make a jog pleasurable.

The other thing to consider is listening to music/audiobooks/podcasts etc.
Reply 1399
Original post by Mark85
On a treadmill, jogging is boring as hell - can you not find a nice route to go on?

Of course this type of thing depends on personality and taste, I mean, I enjoy just even walking into town or whatever so I don't need rolling countryside to make a jog pleasurable.

The other thing to consider is listening to music/audiobooks/podcasts etc.

The scenery wouldn't really change the boredom factor of one repetitive thing for a long time and I live in a city so there are no nice places to run :p:

I'd consider them but I'm trying to encourage a friend when I run with him as he's trying to lose weight.

Quick Reply

Latest