The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Also just finished W2R3, was pretty awful if I'm honest. Hadn't eaten much at all today, or had enough water, so my legs got tired very quickly. I suppose the heat didn't help much either! I did finish the run though so will just keep an eye on diet and will start W3 on Saturday.
Original post by covered farm wagon
Hope it's a good one tomorrow! I've just finished the first run, and it's not tooo bad, although I'm completely unfit at the moment so still found it a challenge!

Well done! :thumbsup: I am rather dreading it to be honest, my fitness is absolutely appalling in general, and now is probably the worst time to start because I'm on holiday so haven't even been getting my walk to/from/around college every day! But I'm going to try and stay committed, it' going to be good knowing someone else is doing it at the same time. :yep: I'm going to try and convince my friend to run with me, too, but I have a feeling she won't want to. :tongue:

I will give an update tomorrow. :yes:
W6R3 completed! The hardest run so far, but I went off a bit hard in the first 5 mins, and my pace slowly dropped from there. But according to Laura, I'm now officially a runner. Can't believe there are only 3 more weeks to go, but I'm going to have to find a new place to run from next week as I am moving out of the family home for good! If anyone knows anywhere good to run in Reigate, Surrey that is about 5 min walk from the train station and preferably on grass then please let me know.
I convinced her! I now officially have a running buddy! :biggrin:
Just gone W2R1. Was harder than week one, but that's the whole point isn't it?

Found the 1.5 mins running okay, little bit tougher than 1 min but not so bad I wanted to give in half way through.

Also, sun was out majorly today, so now I'm a bit sweatier than last time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had some water before going on the run, then when I came back got some water and as I was drinking I got harsh cramps in my belly.
Just found this thread.

I'm not doing this specific program but I'm desiring to run a 5K by the end of the summer. So far I can run a mile (12 minutes) without stopping. So I'm a little under 1/3 of the way there! Hopefully by the end of this week I can run 2 miles and then by the end of the month I can run the full 5k.

Good job everyone else!

Keep running!
Original post by FuzzySheep
I just saw that you quoted me, sorry! I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your breathing, it's always best to be safe so if you're not ready for your next run then do take another rest day, get your breathing back to normal and then have some good runs. :smile:

I haven't yet found the nature reserve because I was lazy and didn't go for the walk. Looked it up on Google maps though so I have a fair idea of where it is :smile:

Tut tut with the laziness! If you explore far enough you'll find the marina with pretty barges and a cafe, now there's an incentive :wink:

Well I did go for W2R1 tonight and it was totally fine! In some ways easier as although you're running longer, the number of runs in the session is less so for me it's psychologically easier. Not to mention I barely broke a sweat.......

I'm beginning to put more weight in muscle memory than I first thought, I really haven't exercised in years but used to be super fit and my fitness seems to be coming back a lot quicker than I expected, which makes me happy!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1587
Just did my very first run this morning. I am a complete exercise-phobe and although I don't look overweight or unhealthy (size10) I used to smoke and my diet is pretty hit and miss. I found it pretty hard but looking forward to my next run on Sunday. :smile:
First run completed!
Original post by Beckiix
Just did my very first run this morning. I am a complete exercise-phobe and although I don't look overweight or unhealthy (size10) I used to smoke and my diet is pretty hit and miss. I found it pretty hard but looking forward to my next run on Sunday. :smile:

Original post by Amwazicles
First run completed!

Well done!
I've been running indoors with my Wii fit but I think I might start this on Monday, it seems like quite a good program and I like the idea of the podcasts. I'm just not sure were I can run, there is a park near my house but its rather hilly and I've been warned by neighbours that it is somewhat of a hideout for drug users so I'm thinking it may not be that safe to run there alone...
Original post by fishfan01
Ha, I too love the sense of achievement :biggrin: I just can't wait until I can trust myself to listen to my own music and feel like a real runner.

Hmm, that's sucky :s-smilie: I'm sure it'll be ok when you get some new shoes, I'm so so glad that I haven't had any trouble with shin splints (yet).

Well I did my run 2! :biggrin: It was harder than the last one, probably partly because it was hotter, but I completed it and ran fast at the end! :biggrin: But because I was supposed to go yesterday, but then my running window was unexpectedly filled by me having to look after my sister, I'm going to have to go tomorrow before I go on holiday, which feels pretty scary, the first time I'll have done it two days in a row :s-smilie: But I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't feel like my body particularly needs any extra rest, so hopefully I won't do myself any damage.

I don't remember if I quoted you on this or not! I have a feeling I didn't read this reply before... :s-smilie:

Ooo, I'm guessing you're on vacation now. Here's to you finding your dream guy while out running!! :tongue: Btw, when you get back, don't forget to update us on your running. :biggrin:

Original post by Jack7Richards
Well done! How does it feel to be near the end? What have you got planned following it? I'm about to finish week 5, in 4 weeks time I'm gonna start running up and down mountains, because I hate myself.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

It's a great feeling, knowing in less than 3 months, I was able to go from running just 1 minute and getting out of breath, to 30 minutes straight! I feel successful in my goal to get fitter. After C25K, I'm going to try and improve my distance, I'm aiming for 5k in less than 30 minutes now. :biggrin:

Also, I hated running up hills. Props to you for running up mountains!

Original post by thetobbit
Nice one, have you looked at the 5K+ podcasts on the NHS website for afterwards? They might be crap but it's worth a look

Thanks! I'm happy with the time I'm able to run now, so I'm just going to work on improving my distance, hopefully 5k in sub 30 minutes in a few weeks. :smile:

--------------------------

W9R3 FINISHED. I HAVE FINISHED C25K!!!!!!! So happy and proud of myself~~~~~~~~~~ Now when people ask me what my hobbies are, I can add running to my list. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1592
Original post by FelineCostumier
I just didn't think about it. Heard of it one day, looked it up the following day and then immediately downloaded the app to my phone (I don't use the podcasts) and went out and did it! Thinking about it is always worse than the doing.

Just do it! That was my attitude anyway. If you aren't confident then go late evening and find somewhere quiet! Best of luck

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Original post by hothedgehog
What you do is download the podcasts or app for it, put on some trainers and work out clothes and then go for a run. It's very simple and surprisingly easy to do if you don't think about it (that's when you start making excuses)!

Also, try to fit it into your routine so you just automatically do it - just like brushing your teeth!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going to start running when I move back to London because I live five minutes away from a lovely park!
Original post by paperstars

It's a great feeling, knowing in less than 3 months, I was able to go from running just 1 minute and getting out of breath, to 30 minutes straight! I feel successful in my goal to get fitter. After C25K, I'm going to try and improve my distance, I'm aiming for 5k in less than 30 minutes now. :biggrin:

Also, I hated running up hills. Props to you for running up mountains!

Well very well done for achieving your goals!

It's gonna be hard, one of my lifetime dreams is to climb Everest (I doubt it will ever happen, not at least until I'm experienced and in my late 30's!), and I love mountain walking/climbing in general. Hopefully mountain running will give me a serious fitness boost over the years.
Well very well done for achieving your goals!

It's gonna be hard, one of my lifetime dreams is to climb Everest (I doubt it will ever happen, not at least until I'm experienced and in my late 30's!), and I love mountain walking/climbing in general. Hopefully mountain running will give me a serious fitness boost over the years.

Oh man. I admire people who can mountain run. I can hardly mountain walk...

There's a peak near here that I just love and when fit sports guys from the local uni zoom past me, running up hill I just think, "Whoa."

Someday... someday.
Reply 1595
Woo well done ladies! Hope you weren't in a complete heatwave whilst doing it!

I'm off for run 2 tomorrow, and am rather ambitiously hoping to get it done first thing in the morning. Good luck for the rest of week 1! x

I ran quite early this morning to avoid the embarrassment of being seen being horribly out of breath after the first 10 mins and the warm weather! :wink:
Original post by AndromedaLight
Oh man. I admire people who can mountain run. I can hardly mountain walk...

There's a peak near here that I just love and when fit sports guys from the local uni zoom past me, running up hill I just think, "Whoa."

Someday... someday.

What one is that? (I see you are from Wales) I'm doing the beacons horseshoe in the morning! And Welsh three peaks before september is out!
Woo well done ladies! Hope you weren't in a complete heatwave whilst doing it!

I'm off for run 2 tomorrow, and am rather ambitiously hoping to get it done first thing in the morning. Good luck for the rest of week 1! x

It was warm, but we (me and my friend) ran in the morning so it hadn't properly heated up yet. :smile:

Good luck tomorrow! On Sunday, we are going out at 7am, because she has to be back early in time for church. :tongue:
I'm going to do my first run tomorrow, I'm a little bit nervous, I've been unwell and I'm not sure if I'll have the energy to do it. *fingers crossed* that I don't totally keel over. I've also managed to persuade my mum to get involved so at least I won't be on my own for the first one. :smile:
Start week 5 on Monday. Little scared at the fact I'm expected to be running 20 mins on Friday :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest