The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FelineCostumier
I'm waiting impatiently for my running shoes to arrive, want to get back on it, especially as I had a dream last night that I went for a run and just kept running and running with no problems at all, felt good!

You ordered them online?
Week 6 Run 3 today, 25 mins shall be fun beans
Original post by thetobbit
You ordered them online?

Yeah, I used to work in a running shop and do gait assessments so I know exactly the ones I need. I don't recommend anyone else order their first pair in this manner though!
Week 7 Run 3 today! After some retail therapy...

Just weighed myself and I've lost 12 pounds since June by using this plan, healthy eating, and cycling leisurely for half an hour every other day. It's SO worth it if you want to lose a bit of weight, and just getting fitter is awesome. So happy :smile:
Found out my uni have a running group for my course, hopefully I'll join it if they don't go too far, I've not really got interest in running 10k as of yet, as 5k is quite easy to fit around my course. I'm rather excited to start park runs :smile:
Original post by skatealexia
Found out my uni have a running group for my course, hopefully I'll join it if they don't go too far, I've not really got interest in running 10k as of yet, as 5k is quite easy to fit around my course. I'm rather excited to start park runs :smile:

join it anyway, they'll be a wealth of knowledge!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Original post by FelineCostumier
Yeah, I used to work in a running shop and do gait assessments so I know exactly the ones I need. I don't recommend anyone else order their first pair in this manner though!

Oh cool, yeh I was about to say buying online was silly because you didn't try them on/know your exact measurements
Week 6 done!

Felt awesome finishing my first 25 min run :P
Looking at the rain outside.. putting it off till about 7.
Oh cool, a thread I've not noticed the last few weeks I've been on the plan. I don't think I've got the pace quite right for longer runs, the 20 minute run on week 5, I was really worried about it and I went too slow (about 7km an hour :frown: ), at the end I wasn't especially tired so sprinted the last 30 seconds. Hopefully I go a bit faster on my 25 minute run on Friday.
Original post by Piprod01
Oh cool, a thread I've not noticed the last few weeks I've been on the plan. I don't think I've got the pace quite right for longer runs, the 20 minute run on week 5, I was really worried about it and I went too slow (about 7km an hour :frown: ), at the end I wasn't especially tired so sprinted the last 30 seconds. Hopefully I go a bit faster on my 25 minute run on Friday.

Don't worry, just focus on endurance. Distance/speed can be honed once you can run 30min solid! (that's my plan anyway!)
Original post by Piprod01

I wouldn't worry, I've just finished Week 7 and average at 5mph over 25minutes, which isn't much (if any?) faster than you! I'm planning on finishing the plan steadily, and then downloading those extra podcasts they've recently uploaded to help me improve on time etc. I'm happy enough that I can even run for 25 minutes to be honest!
x
To everyone worrying about pace, I feel like I'm going really slowly too but figure speed can be improved once I've got the base down.
Taking a little break from the program because I'm attempting a 10km run on Sunday and don't want to injury myself before then. Probably going to have to walk/jog most of it but we'll see!
I did W6R2 earlier and felt knackered, I'm so bad at pacing myself! I always go too fast at the start and burn out really quickly... not looking forward to my 25 minute run on Saturday :/ I changed to a longer route today and ended up running up the long hill I usually do at the start of my run at the start of my second ten minute run instead which I really struggled on. Ah well, moving back to uni next week so hopefully I can find a flatter route!
W6R2 bossed. Looking forward to Saturday. Ran past a running club, about 8old geezers bossing past me. Was tempted to ask about their club but chickened out, I don't want to be outrun by people almost three times my age. Maybe when I can do a comfortable 10k in the future.
Week 8 begins tomorrow *gulp*

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Original post by Jack7Richards
W6R2 bossed. Looking forward to Saturday. Ran past a running club, about 8old geezers bossing past me. Was tempted to ask about their club but chickened out, I don't want to be outrun by people almost three times my age. Maybe when I can do a comfortable 10k in the future.

I see skinny guys belting it around in the park. Damn they run fast. But they are like a stick thin marathon build so that gives me some comfort. Just make an excuse in your head and stick with it, I say :colone:
Hey, hoping for a bit of help here I'm wanting to start this however was wondering whether there is a decent app on Android that would help as a regime as I want something simple and uncomplicated.

I want something that will help me push on and do this!
Reply 1798
My route is very popular with cyclists and runners. I am generally running the opposite direction to the runners since I guess there is a club who start off further ahead of me and go in the opposite direction. They tend to split up in smaller groups but what pisses me off is when you get people running right next to each other on the path and they don't move out of the way to let you pass. On today's run, there were four people doing this - even though I moved right over to one side, not one of them moved out of the way. I was damned if I was going to stop or go into the wet long grass beside the path so I just sped up and dropped my shoulder right into the guy on my side.
Original post by Mark85
My route is very popular with cyclists and runners. I am generally running the opposite direction to the runners since I guess there is a club who start off further ahead of me and go in the opposite direction. They tend to split up in smaller groups but what pisses me off is when you get people running right next to each other on the path and they don't move out of the way to let you pass. On today's run, there were four people doing this - even though I moved right over to one side, not one of them moved out of the way. I was damned if I was going to stop or go into the wet long grass beside the path so I just sped up and dropped my shoulder right into the guy on my side.

That's it bro, show him that bicep as you shove him lol

Sounds like a busy park. My park has more dogs than people.

Quick Reply

Latest