The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

:teehee:

Well if you can show us a sketch even that would be awesome:gah:

I think I may have waffled a bit much, and it may not be sound advice as I've only one tattoo so far, but here's what I've written for the preliminary stage. I'll write the "what to expect" later on, and "aftercare" when my tattoo has actually healed, else I could be giving advice that leads to the death of a tattoo :tongue:

Spoiler

Yeah, reading over it, it's a load of waffle haha... :emo:
Reply 702
Sounds like a good motivational tool. :h: Interestingly enough, that's how that genius who learned Icelandic fluently in a week managed to: because he could pictures ideas and things such as numbers and words as shapes. :awesome:

Well, feel free to ask anyone for any input/submit any sketches. :yes:
:teehee: thats our soul :jumphug:
:bigsmile::h:

So it should!
I need ideas...
Well, not really ideas, but opinions xD Recently had a buttefly on my left shoulder and have 2 options for my next tattoo (which could be in a year or a few months...)
1. four pawprints on my right foot: I have 2 cats and 2 dogs..hence the four.
2. a 'trail' of butterflies from the existing one on my shoulder down my back to my right hip: since the first butterfly symbolised spreading my wings and going off on my own.

I know i'll eventually have both. But I was wondering if getting a different butterfly everytime something significant happens would be a better idea rather than a random trail of them xD
Also, the buttefly idea, if it were you, would you get completely different ones...or a similar style all the way down?
Reply 706
Original post by ironandwine
I think I may have waffled a bit much, and it may not be sound advice as I've only one tattoo so far, but here's what I've written for the preliminary stage. I'll write the "what to expect" later on, and "aftercare" when my tattoo has actually healed, else I could be giving advice that leads to the death of a tattoo :tongue:

Spoiler

Yeah, reading over it, it's a load of waffle haha... :emo:

I skimmed through it all and it seemed decent, cheers. :h:

I'll assimilate the suggestions and re-quote everyone (:colondollar:) tomorrow or something. That way there should be a few suggestions we can boil down into something that can go into a FAQ. You and souldoubt have set the tone well. :awesome:

I have enough trouble imagining the words outside of textbooks. :emo:

Definitely sounds like a good way to ensure you get meaning in your tattoos without pouring over things to find a meaning for hours. :yes:
Reply 707
Loving the advice things that have been written so far.
I seriously want a white tattoo now :ninja:
Going to discuss it with the boyfriend when he gets home from work, he has 1 tattoo so far and is hoping for another one soon, so I wanna see his opinion on it :smile:
Reply 708
All of your tattoos sound amazing :smile: I love the symbolism and the idea of getting one to represent important memories or times in your life. I've actually considered getting one to represent recovering from my eating disorder, but I'm indecisive as to what I'd want.
I'm unsure if I'll ever get a real tattoo. I'm a bit of a wimp and if I ever changed my mind on it I wouldn't want to go through going it removed, but I have been getting more into henna tattoos recently. Not sure if I really have a place in this thread tbh. :/
OP - I like the first tattoo. The shading on the bird looks really well done and much nicer than some of my friends / people I know that have had swallows inked on their skin.
Just wondering whether we should also list the after care creams that we've used?:holmes:
Reply 711
Original post by Griffin23
Just wondering whether we should also list the after care creams that we've used?:holmes:

I think that's definitely something worth adding to the FAQ, yeah.

Original post by Rainbow-Dream
I'm unsure if I'll ever get a real tattoo. I'm a bit of a wimp and if I ever changed my mind on it I wouldn't want to go through going it removed, but I have been getting more into henna tattoos recently. Not sure if I really have a place in this thread tbh. :/
OP - I like the first tattoo. The shading on the bird looks really well done and much nicer than some of my friends / people I know that have had swallows inked on their skin.

I have a bit of a phobia of needles and I'm the "Group Leader" of the society this thread is attached to. :laugh: So you'll be fine. :yes:

A lot of that is the difference between people who choose a sample from the tattooist's books and those who design their own tattoos.
Original post by Rainbow-Dream

Of course you have a place in this thread :h:

I was majorly terrified (thought I'd be screaming and saying every word under the sun) of getting my tattoo done, but it realllly wasn't that bad. Obviously, there are parts where you're gritting your teeth, but that level of pain doesn't really last for very long.
Are tattoos supposed to shed skin a bit like a snake? :emo:
Reply 714
That's really reassuring to hear :smile: I guess I was kind of worried that looking at it would remind me of the ED...but you're right, I think looking at it would kind of be more of a motivational boost at the fact that I got over it and am now a better person :smile: I'm not sure if that made sense, I'm rambling haha.

I've kind of thought about angel wings or a feather (but not on my back), because I used to listen to the song Angel by Sarah McLachlan...and it kind of made me feel reassured when stuff was tough. Do you mind if I ask which one of your tattoos represents your eating disorder? I totally understand if that's a personal thing though :smile:

Also, thank you for the rep :biggrin: :flower:
Reply 715
Never a good idea for anyone to try and make sense of themselves. Even Freud struggled with that. :yes:

You can peel...a bit like when you get sunburn. So yes,

Yesss! haha, I was a bit worried too, but this is normal!
Original post by VickyTink
You can peel...a bit like when you get sunburn. So yes,

Ahh, cheers!

Original post by Delta_Aitch
Yesss! haha, I was a bit worried too, but this is normal!

Ahaha, thank youuu! ;D

Yeah, I was just getting a little worried it might be peeling too much, but I don't think it is. Just wanted confirmation it was normal :smile:

May go for a cheeky visit to my tattooist in a day or two to double check everything is going smoothly, being my first an' all :smile:
Original post by zjs
I think that's definitely something worth adding to the FAQ, yeah.

well I'm not sure how you would want it formatted, but I'll still add it in and it can be crossed referenced with others input to pick out any matches.

The best care that I used was a day or two, after having been tattooed (depending on tenderness)is applying some savlon cream. To help keep it clean etc. then once it started scabbing over I then used cocoa butter cream to help keep it moisturised :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest