The Student Room Group

Could someone look at my A-level choices... please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
3 core sciences (or 2 and Maths) is gonna be your best bet I think. For your other subject I'd choose a language because it will make you stand out.
Reply 21
Biology and Chemistry are fine, very great well established basic subjects that will get you into Uni.
I would have suggested doing English Language & Literature instead of just Language but that's fine.
Psychology won't be that beneficial to you, unless you can really bend light and link it to how it relates to dentistry. If you're not good at maths then Physics won't be good for you either.
If you did a language at GCSE you may want to continue with it. Knowing a different language means you can become employable in other countries if you wanted to.
To be fair you should only need those 3 subjects, if you take a 4th it may hinder your grades at A level, but if you want to then do do a Language (it opens new doors) or do Food Technology (if you did that at GCSE) as you can bend that around to say about how our diet affects our bone structure / teeth.
Reply 22
Original post by Deceiver
3 core sciences (or 2 and Maths) is gonna be your best bet I think. For your other subject I'd choose a language because it will make you stand out.

Ok i think a language is okaay!
BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, SPANISH AND HISTORY? does that look better guys?
Reply 23
the other thing id say is that sooooo many people take the 3 sciences and maths.
having something like a language or history in there may make your application stick out more

also an A grade in english lit/history/a language will look better than a B grade in maths...
Reply 24
Original post by dolly88
the other thing id say is that sooooo many people take the 3 sciences and maths.
having something like a language or history in there may make your application stick out more

also an A grade in english lit/history/a language will look better than a B grade in maths...

why eng lit? for gcse i am doing combined and i find english language ALOT more challenging! maybe thats just me... :P
I would be really careful taking a language. The jump from GCSE is massive and if you're just taking it to fill the places I would choose something else.
Reply 26
Original post by francescafrancesca
I would be really careful taking a language. The jump from GCSE is massive and if you're just taking it to fill the places I would choose something else.

it is but i am good at spanish, its probobly my best subject (along with english) :smile:
Reply 27
change lang for lit. its consdered a more classic subject.
Reply 28
Original post by Blashnet
why eng lit? for gcse i am doing combined and i find english language ALOT more challenging! maybe thats just me... :P

well...basically i did english lit so im not sure what the english lang A level involved, but when i originally looked at unis i wanted to do english, and for a lot of the better ones english lit A level was required.

its just seen as more academic, so i guess it must be easier!
i never really found one easier than the other at gcse, but i liked english lots back then aha....english lit a level is evil!
Reply 29
Original post by Superlogon
change lang for lit. its consdered a more classic subject.

Would a level combined english look even better than just lit?
Reply 30
Would a level combined english look even better than just lit?

nope! thats seen to be on the same level as lang on its own...

lit is the one they consider strongest x
Do what you enjoy. Yes, the subjects are important, but if you are gonna fail two A levels because you thought they'd look better, thats worse than just taking the subjects you first planned.
Unless you love maths, don't take it. I made that mistake taking it because everyone said it would look great for medicine, but honestly, it destroyed my soul. I scrapped an A with a tutor, and at the expense of my other subjects.
I would go for biology and chemistry obviously. Then a language if you love it, but if not, don't, my friend said the jump between GCSE and A level is immense. Lit would be better than Language for English, and way more fun trust me!! I'd really just change the psychology, it's' just not considered serious enough. Take subjects that make you a well rounded person, yes all sciences and maths is impressive but it's very limited in terms of developing skills that can help you long term. Bio, Chem, English lit, and whatever takes your fancy :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Count Stefular
Do what you enjoy. Yes, the subjects are important, but if you are gonna fail two A levels because you thought they'd look better, thats worse than just taking the subjects you first planned.
Unless you love maths, don't take it. I made that mistake taking it because everyone said it would look great for medicine, but honestly, it destroyed my soul. I scrapped an A with a tutor, and at the expense of my other subjects.
I would go for biology and chemistry obviously. Then a language if you love it, but if not, don't, my friend said the jump between GCSE and A level is immense. Lit would be better than Language for English, and way more fun trust me!! I'd really just change the psychology, it's' just not considered serious enough. Take subjects that make you a well rounded person, yes all sciences and maths is impressive but it's very limited in terms of developing skills that can help you long term. Bio, Chem, English lit, and whatever takes your fancy :smile:

wow thats loads of help! thanks! What made me think about language is that i got full marks in both my controlled assessment and prob an A* in the exam. I just feel at a level i could get an A* in a level english lang, surley that would be better than say a B in maths? help!:P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Do the subjects you want to do, not the ones people on here tell you to do. You have chemistry and biology there which are the most important. Universities will want someone who can back up their a-level choices, not people that went along with the crowd because someone on TSR told them to.
People on here will tell you you need 4 "traditional" subjects and that you should make sure you do 4 of them. But it's not true. As long as you're not doing something that is more practical based, and you're doing strong subjects alongside it, it won't be a problem. English Language and Psychology aren't considered soft, they're just not as strong as some others.

I posted about my a-level choices on here, and was advised to switch from english language to lit by so many people and eventually I started thinking it was a good idea myself. I now hate the course and have done all year, which has resulted in a lack of effort from myself and I dread each lesson. Don't do what I did. Do the subjects you want to do.
Reply 34
Original post by laura94
Do the subjects you want to do, not the ones people on here tell you to do. You have chemistry and biology there which are the most important. Universities will want someone who can back up their a-level choices, not people that went along with the crowd because someone on TSR told them to.
People on here will tell you you need 4 "traditional" subjects and that you should make sure you do 4 of them. But it's not true. As long as you're not doing something that is more practical based, and you're doing strong subjects alongside it, it won't be a problem. English Language and Psychology aren't considered soft, they're just not as strong as some others.

I posted about my a-level choices on here, and was advised to switch from english language to lit by so many people and eventually I started thinking it was a good idea myself. I now hate the course and have done all year, which has resulted in a lack of effort from myself and I dread each lesson. Don't do what I did. Do the subjects you want to do.

haha, so your saying you should have done language? I thought of psycology because it is related to mental health, which would be apart of dentistry because you need to know how the brain works?
Reply 35
I hate maths! Worst lesson at GCSE...
I am not bad at it, just hate it

if you dont like maths dont do maths at A-level. Its a tough subject and lots of people fail because they didnt like it, so didnt follow the lessons/ do enought revision/ could moitvate themselves to revise etc.
my advice would be is to go onot university websites and look to see if they do the course... if they do the course look at the entry requirements and see if they have required or prefered subjects :smile:
Reply 37
I don't think unis mind psychology...I do eng lit, bio, chem and psychology and still got medicine offers....but yeah...maybe swap english language for literature if you feel comfortable doing so :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by sammycjones
my advice would be is to go onot university websites and look to see if they do the course... if they do the course look at the entry requirements and see if they have required or prefered subjects :smile:

they say you NEED 3 A'S at a level, 2 of them have to be BIO & CHEM. But there is no 3rd that you have to do, surely if i get an A in it, it wont matter? :frown:
Reply 39
haha, so your saying you should have done language? I thought of psycology because it is related to mental health, which would be apart of dentistry because you need to know how the brain works?

Yes I should have done language. Literature is the absolute bane of my life! I've been forced by parents to wait until results to drop it, but the urge to just go in and the bloody thing off my timetable monday is huge.

I wouldn't pick psychology just based on that, because you don't really go that in depth as to the actual functions of the brain etc and it probably won't be that relevant. However, if you think you'd find psychology interesting, then go for it! If you take the subjects you find the most interesting they will naturally lead you to a degree you will also find interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest