The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by tillytots
I need BC for my offer, reckon I'm gunna get CC/CD :/ how lenient are manchester languages? :/

BC :eek: I've got manchester as my insurance for Chinese and they want ABB! I get the feeling that manchester are quite leninet, you probabaly have a chance with CC :smile:
if you emailed a uni now saying that you were worried you may not meet the grades etc. and that you wnated to know what could be done.....would it hurt your chances????
Original post by _mariam_
BC :eek: I've got manchester as my insurance for Chinese and they want ABB! I get the feeling that manchester are quite leninet, you probabaly have a chance with CC :smile:

It's technically ABC but as I already have an A it's really only BC. Russian isn't their most popular courses and I have been keeping a watchful eye on it in Extra so I'm hoping they let me in with CC :/
Original post by aprilterri
Sociology

Eek! I have an offer for Sociology too. I am so sure I won't meet it (due to extenuating circumstances). So, I am guessing this year will be the same, if not worse.
Original post by infernalcradle
if you emailed a uni now saying that you were worried you may not meet the grades etc. and that you wnated to know what could be done.....would it hurt your chances????

Wouldn't make a difference. Uni's (speaking on the face that each uni has its on profile) get results before the we get them. up to 1 week before from what I hear.

I believe that they put the people who missed the offer on a table. They then wait for results day.

1.Uni's that do interviews would much rather prefer a known candidate rather than some guy comming in through clearing.

2.This is a theory - they may wait for you to call them and thefore they see how passionate you are about getting in the uni. In which case they weigh u up against others.

3.If u dont call then they would assume that ur not intrested. Again this is a theory.

4.Try to get your highest grade in the subject you plan to study.

So emailing them before hand makes no difference.
Imagine the email from their point of view, they would just see it as you releasing ur stress and worry.

I'm in a simmilar position but i've applied to 2 of the most leanient uni's in the country.

Last year i got BCD and leicester needed BBC so they rejected me. That said, i didnt plead much and my grades in terms of ums were bad.
Original post by indiephysics
Wouldn't make a difference. Uni's (speaking on the face that each uni has its on profile) get results before the we get them. up to 1 week before from what I hear.

I believe that they put the people who missed the offer on a table. They then wait for results day.

1.Uni's that do interviews would much rather prefer a known candidate rather than some guy comming in through clearing.

2.This is a theory - they may wait for you to call them and thefore they see how passionate you are about getting in the uni. In which case they weigh u up against others.

3.If u dont call then they would assume that ur not intrested. Again this is a theory.

4.Try to get your highest grade in the subject you plan to study.

So emailing them before hand makes no difference.
Imagine the email from their point of view, they would just see it as you releasing ur stress and worry.

I'm in a simmilar position but i've applied to 2 of the most leanient uni's in the country.

Last year i got BCD and leicester needed BBC so they rejected me. That said, i didnt plead much and my grades in terms of ums were bad.

While I generally agree with the rest of what you say, I'm of the opinion that emailing a university in advance with something along the lines of "I expect to miss my offer", not only gives you no benefit but come results day removes any credibility with you saying "It was a one-off, the rest of my results were good", or "I had a bad day with that exam", etc. No good can come of it, and potentially you're throwing away bargaining power.
Reply 386
Original post by Potally_Tissed
While I generally agree with the rest of what you say, I'm of the opinion that emailing a university in advance with something along the lines of "I expect to miss my offer", not only gives you no benefit but come results day removes any credibility with you saying "It was a one-off, the rest of my results were good", or "I had a bad day with that exam", etc. No good can come of it, and potentially you're throwing away bargaining power.

Tell us more about this 'bargaining power' :beard:

If I miss my offer, and am consequently rejected, what am I supposed to say to the Uni people exactly? Will I not just come across as being pitifully desperate? Is that a good thing?

I honestly think I've missed my offer, and unless my Uni automatically give me the place anyway, I have no idea what I would say to them... I keep imagine phoning them up and hearing them say: "actually, were quite pleased that you didn't meet the conditions of your offer, looking back over your application, I don't think we should have given you one in the first place... " Or something along those lines :sad:
Original post by Liam_G

If I miss my offer, and am consequently rejected, what am I supposed to say to the Uni people exactly? Will I not just come across as being pitifully desperate? Is that a good thing?

My point is that if you miss your offer, you'll want to give them a reason to let you in anyway. I can't really speculate on what that reason might be exactly, but if you've told them in advance that you aren't going to meet the offer then all you're doing is throwing away possible reasons.

Well I was just going along the lines that people come out of an exam, panic as they hear where they went wrong. They then go home panic more and eventually this idea pops in you head once u realise who have no control over what results come through the door that they must somehow intervene the uni's desicion making process. But every thing u said is correct aswell.

Original post by Liam_G

I honestly think I've missed my offer, and unless my Uni automatically give me the place anyway, I have no idea what I would say to them... I keep imagine phoning them up and hearing them say: "actually, were quite pleased that you didn't meet the conditions of your offer, looking back over your application, I don't think we should have given you one in the first place... " Or something along those lines :sad:

First off all you need to understand how exams work. There are NO set grade boundaries. In fact how it work is that they take everoynes results. Plot them on a graph. This makes a curve with a majority of people in the middle. The curve is shifted so that a set percentage gets A's and thefore the grade boundaries set according to that. This is a generalisation for simplicity but the idea still works.

So if the exam was hard and everyone came out unfinished and found it equally hard then thats less worry as grade boundaries are set lower. Assuming you school is average or higher in terms on intelligence of the country's colleges.

On the day of results be prepared to get your situation across. Im not an expert but I would not bring across excuses as this shows you were capable of high results but you didnt achieve them. Excuses are usually your own fault in any case.

I would more likely go down the path of saying that I am really passionate about your uni, I enjoy studying <subject> and I want to study it at your uni. Expand on that but dont memorise something like a speech or you'll sound like a robot and it'll sound as if you prepared to fail.

The high up unis eg AAB or ABB + uni's that are popular will be harsh. The more competitive uni will be less leanient. If theres spaces for clearing your in for hope!

A uni that has high grade boundaries and is not as popular will be leanient as less people achieve high grades and less be honest who goes through clearing to get into an AAB uni.

I have also come to understand recently that if ur going to a uni other than imperial or uxbridge then interviews are less about getting in as it is about profiling the candidate. They may look back at what notes they took to consider you.

I am in a simmilar position with royal holloway atm as I need AAB however I will get BBB but I am confident and passionate about the uni. Also they are the most leanient uni in the country as I hear!

You wont log on ucas and see a immediate rejection unless ur 3 grades below or something rediculous. Just phone them on your mobile as soon as you get your grades.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi I needed 3as for combined honours at newcaslte but i think ive got more like abbc which is a shame, but ive had mitigating circumstances do you think they will take that into account?

anyone else in a similar boat?
Reply 390
While I generally agree with the rest of what you say, I'm of the opinion that emailing a university in advance with something along the lines of &quot;I expect to miss my offer&quot;, not only gives you no benefit but come results day removes any credibility with you saying &quot;It was a one-off, the rest of my results were good&quot;, or &quot;I had a bad day with that exam&quot;, etc. No good can come of it, and potentially you're throwing away bargaining power.

I disagree with this. I know someone with KCL as their firm who has phoned them up a few times to let them know she how much she loves the uni and the course and really wants to go there, but isn't sure she's going to recieve the grade requirements they gave her. Kings have now given her a slightly lower offer.
Original post by emmy141
I disagree with this. I know someone with KCL as their firm who has phoned them up a few times to let them know she how much she loves the uni and the course and really wants to go there, but isn't sure she's going to recieve the grade requirements they gave her. Kings have now given her a slightly lower offer.

Something working out well for one person doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to try it. If 10 more people did the same thing I'm pretty confident at least 8 or 9 wouldn't gain anything from it.
So on results day, if grades are missed do they immediately change track to unsuccessful or do they leave it on conditional and wait to see if you phone them?
Original post by Sly Racoon
So on results day, if grades are missed do they immediately change track to unsuccessful or do they leave it on conditional and wait to see if you phone them?

Either can happen, depends on the university.
Reply 394
Something working out well for one person doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to try it. If 10 more people did the same thing I'm pretty confident at least 8 or 9 wouldn't gain anything from it.

But it's still worth a shot, just in case it could work out.
Original post by emmy141

But he's trying to highlight that it could potentially be detrimental to your case, as on results day you want to plead it's a complete unexpected blip in your academic record, not something that you expected to happen. :smile:
Original post by emmy141

But it's so unlikely to work, and could potentially be detrimental come results day if you do miss your offer, that I really can't see it as being worth the risk.

Original post by Pheebs1201
But he's trying to highlight that it could potentially be detrimental to your case, as on results day you want to plead it's a complete unexpected blip in your academic record, not something that you expected to happen. :smile:

:yep:

Granted it would be better to have a reason such as "I missed my offer by a grade in the subject least relevant to this course" or something, but there aren't many reasons you can give so you don't want to rule out any.
Reply 397
Original post by presh5
I needed AAB to get in for med last year but got in with ABB! Was so shocked and am extremely grateful! You guys will be fine just keep your cool and go with the flow :smile:

Did it just say you were accepted on ucas or did they decline you first and then let you know??
Reply 398
Original post by whattheheck
Eek! I have an offer for Sociology too. I am so sure I won't meet it (due to extenuating circumstances). So, I am guessing this year will be the same, if not worse.

Well if you don't meet your grade you should call them uni up explain your extentuating circumstances (offer to send them evidence or a statement from a teacher) and say why you want to go there. Fingers crossed! Good luck though. So did you apply for birmingham?
Original post by aprilterri
Well if you don't meet your grade you should call them uni up explain your extentuating circumstances (offer to send them evidence or a statement from a teacher) and say why you want to go there. Fingers crossed! Good luck though. So did you apply for birmingham?

Yes.

My offer was for BBB.

By how much did you miss the grade requirement?

Did you go through clearing or to your insurance. Bad thing is, I don't even have an insurance!!:s-smilie:

I'm going to be e-mailing the admissions office soon after I meet with my councillor.

Latest

Trending

Trending