The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Last year in August on results day was sort of a nightmare, yet a blessing at the same time. I had checked UCAS before I went into collect my results and saw what I had got in the end. 240 points were achieved by the end of A levels but I needed 280 points to get into uni. I did have a back up plan of taking a foundation year with full course degree... but the university said that I could get put on the normal course... which I somewhat foolishly accepted.

When reading my offers I saw that my firm choice (York) had rejected me for music technology. My insurance choice (Salford) on the other hand, to my amazement... gave me an alternative. A changed course offer was offered to me to allow me to do Sound and Video technology as opposed to doing Audio Technology originally. I decided within 3 days that I shall go for this course after reading up about it and the fact that clearing looked a nightmare to go through.

A year on and I have no regrets choosing the course i did. This one is more vocational in a sense but I do learn the technical aspects also.... I know that the Audio Technology course is like from a 3rd person perspective; and it seems that Audio with Electronic Engineering (which is effectively what the course is) wouldn't have suited me.

New facilities are available to my course at mediacity which is where the BBC and ITV are moving to... so i feel it is a fantastic opportunity for me to network... obtain contacts and try and get my foot in the door as it were :smile:.
Original post by 03birdik
Last year in August on results day was sort of a nightmare, yet a blessing at the same time. I had checked UCAS before I went into collect my results and saw what I had got in the end. 240 points were achieved by the end of A levels but I needed 280 points to get into uni. I did have a back up plan of taking a foundation year with full course degree... but the university said that I could get put on the normal course... which I somewhat foolishly accepted.

When reading my offers I saw that my firm choice (York) had rejected me for music technology. My insurance choice (Salford) on the other hand, to my amazement... gave me an alternative. A changed course offer was offered to me to allow me to do Sound and Video technology as opposed to doing Audio Technology originally. I decided within 3 days that I shall go for this course after reading up about it and the fact that clearing looked a nightmare to go through.

A year on and I have no regrets choosing the course i did. This one is more vocational in a sense but I do learn the technical aspects also.... I know that the Audio Technology course is like from a 3rd person perspective; and it seems that Audio with Electronic Engineering (which is effectively what the course is) wouldn't have suited me.

New facilities are available to my course at mediacity which is where the BBC and ITV are moving to... so i feel it is a fantastic opportunity for me to network... obtain contacts and try and get my foot in the door as it were :smile:.

Well Done :smile: This shows every cloud has a silver lining!
Original post by 03birdik

Cool! Hope you are successful in your career. Good luck! :biggrin:
Offer from Royal Holloway is BBB for Biomedical sciences, I defiantly got BB for Chemistry and Biology which are the two main subjects that they require, however I feel I missed out on a B for English, and got a C instead. Is there any chance of me getting in.

hope please
Does anyone have any success stories for Optometry?
Any stories about Oxford Brookes ??????
Thanks

PS* I'm new TSR soo i hope i'm posting this correctly ............
Any medicine stories here?
Original post by sanasehrrasool
Offer for University of Edinburgh Law was BBB... I achieved A*AC.
Any chance of being let in anyway?
Does anyone have any stories about getting into the University of Edinburgh after not meeting their offer in general?

I think Edinburgh are really strict about meeting offers :erm:. I do, however someone pops up with a nice reassuring story though.

Haven't seen one as of yet :frown:.
Original post by beenxxx
Which university did you apply to ? the one which has an offer of BBC ?

yeah it's for those grades at Oxford Brookes, yourself?
Anyone know how lenient the university of Leicester is? I need ABB for biochemistry, and it is extremely unlikely that I will get those grades. I have an unconditional offer to do biotechnology at the uni of nottingham (seeing as I already have BCC) but I'm having second thoughts about the course :/ If I miss my offer for leicester I might just go into clearing and try to get into keele or abersywth for biochem (I recieved a unconditional from aber but foolishly rejected it). What do you guys think?
Original post by Liquify_The_Sky
Anyone know how lenient the university of Leicester is? I need ABB for biochemistry, and it is extremely unlikely that I will get those grades. I have an unconditional offer to do biotechnology at the uni of nottingham (seeing as I already have BCC) but I'm having second thoughts about the course :/ If I miss my offer for leicester I might just go into clearing and try to get into keele or abersywth for biochem (I recieved a unconditional from aber but foolishly rejected it). What do you guys think?

I think it's very difficult to say, particularly because competition gets fiercer every year - and even moreso this year I would imagine due to the upcoming fee increase. I wouldn't get your hopes up - they're not likely to be lenient as they can probably snap up candidates who at least meet or even exceed the typical offer. Of course, it will only be a pleasant surprise if they do accept you. But, as I say, I wouldn't expect it - especially because Leicester is a pretty good uni and I can imagine a lot of courses are oversubscribed, although you might be in luck because often scientific subjects tend to be less so. If you know right now for sure that you don't want to go to Nottingham, your insurance, then I would ring up their admissions office and ask to be released ASAP. You don't want to be messing about doing that on results day when lines will be extremely busy and other people will be snapping up clearing places. If you ask to be released from your insurance, then if you miss your firm on results day you will go straight into Clearing. That way, now that you know you regret rejecting Aberystwyth and there's a chance they might be in Clearing, you can get on the phone to them ASAP on Thursday before others get the chance. Good luck.
Any stories about City University London? How lenient are they? :confused:
I have an offer for Pharmacy of ABB but could only get BBB, this is at DMU, does anyone know how lenient they are when it comes to missing out by just one grade?
Original post by OneStepAtaTime
Wow! I know lots of people that missed offers and still got in (some at top unis) so for all those of you freaking out, don't! I know someone who missed their grades for a law offer (3As) and got in for law at a better uni instead with those same less than 3A grades even though in 2010/2011 every uni for law was basically asking for 3As!!(It's a top ten uni), quite a few someones who got offers at UCL for courses like Economics and something, or politics or language courses and either still got the offer or got an alternative offer or got offered the same course unconditional for the following year, same with Nottingham and Birmingham, and 2 people (1 Acc.&Finance, and one for Econ) who got gap year unconditional offers on lower grades at the LSE!

Seriously, if your PS was good, and you create a good rapport with say admissions or dept heads somehow you can get offers even if you miss your grades.

Oh also someone in a missed grades situation for Optom at City and still got in.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

I LOVE you for saying the bold.....gives me confidence! :biggrin:
Original post by Stressworthy
I think it's very difficult to say, particularly because competition gets fiercer every year - and even moreso this year I would imagine due to the upcoming fee increase. I wouldn't get your hopes up - they're not likely to be lenient as they can probably snap up candidates who at least meet or even exceed the typical offer. Of course, it will only be a pleasant surprise if they do accept you. But, as I say, I wouldn't expect it - especially because Leicester is a pretty good uni and I can imagine a lot of courses are oversubscribed, although you might be in luck because often scientific subjects tend to be less so. If you know right now for sure that you don't want to go to Nottingham, your insurance, then I would ring up their admissions office and ask to be released ASAP. You don't want to be messing about doing that on results day when lines will be extremely busy and other people will be snapping up clearing places. If you ask to be released from your insurance, then if you miss your firm on results day you will go straight into Clearing. That way, now that you know you regret rejecting Aberystwyth and there's a chance they might be in Clearing, you can get on the phone to them ASAP on Thursday before others get the chance. Good luck.

I would ask to be released from my insurance right now, but I'm being extremely cautious due to the speculation (with good reason!) over competition for clearing spaces - I'm worried that I'll end up at somewhere like south bank or london met. I'm really hoping that the fact that I got 100% in two biology AS modules will count towards me if I end up in clearing.
Thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by MadCatChiken
What uni/course? I need 280 worried I may end up with 260. :frown:

De Montfort, Business & Management. Unless you are applying to really hard unis like the top 15 you should be fine. Its also based on your personal statement as well remember!
Original post by medical.student
Any medicine stories here?

2 years ago, was meant to get AAAC for Kings. I got AABB (one of the B's in Chem as well), phoned them on results day when they said I had been placed on a waiting list but chances were slim, so I sent them a very nice email, waited for a horrible 2 weeks and then they phoned me up and said I could still have my place. One of the best phone calls of my life! I did have some minimal extenuating curcumstances though, but it happened to a few people in my year, minus the extenuating circumstances, that I know of as well. Good Luck!
Original post by ...Panacea...
2 years ago, was meant to get AAAC for Kings. I got AABB (one of the B's in Chem as well), phoned them on results day when they said I had been placed on a waiting list but chances were slim, so I sent them a very nice email, waited for a horrible 2 weeks and then they phoned me up and said I could still have my place. One of the best phone calls of my life! I did have some minimal extenuating curcumstances though, but it happened to a few people in my year, minus the extenuating circumstances, that I know of as well. Good Luck!

Did your firm stay conditional then? Or was it unsuccessful, then changed?
Reply 998
This year, even Aberdeen uni haven't been lenient... eek. Currently re-writing my personal statement for 2012 entry :frown:
Original post by yahyahyahs
Did your firm stay conditional then? Or was it unsuccessful, then changed?

Yep, I think my firm stayed conditional but my insurance changed to unconditional.

Latest

Trending

Trending