The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NuclearFusion
Some Universities are certainly more lenient than others, much is down to whether more people both put the Uni as their firm choice and make the grades, than the Uni has places. Obviously the Uni has to take these people, so they would most likely reject anyone who doesn't make it, even if it is just by a few marks.

For example, I know of someone who applied to Nottingham for Maths and Economics. Her offer was AAA and in the end she got A*A*B (With the A*s in Maths and Economics). Despite the fact that in most people's opinion, her grades for that course are better than someone with AAA, they rejected her. This was likely because Nottingham had given out too many offers, resulting in more people both firming Nottingham and making the grades of their offer- and so Nottingham had to reject anyone who didn't quite make it, even if they are infact a stronger applicant than the others they let in. Unfair, but that's what happens when Unis give out too many offers.

That is unfortunate, gotta be in the lucky ~10% that the uni choose after they have been forced to accept the people who make the boundary I guess.
Reply 1281
Last year I had a friend who did Pharmacy in Bangor, I think they asked for BBC and she got CCD and they still let her in.
the uni i really want to go to (UEA) to do psychology wants ABB - i have A*AD (and B in gen studies) but the D was due to me being ill during exam time (my GP has emailed the uni explaining this). my GCSE grades are mostly As with a couple of A*s and Bs.

what do you think my chances are? i am so desperate to go to UEA!!
Original post by laauurraa
the uni i really want to go to (UEA) to do psychology wants ABB - i have A*AD (and B in gen studies) but the D was due to me being ill during exam time (my GP has emailed the uni explaining this). my GCSE grades are mostly As with a couple of A*s and Bs.

what do you think my chances are? i am so desperate to go to UEA!!

Well if you have a strong application overall, then you might get an offer but might be asked to redo the A level you got a D in
currently stories like this are the only thing i am holding onto as i'm hoping to go to birmingham and think they are going to give me an a2b offer of ABB, which, doing four A levels, i am likely to get. however the course requires an A in history and as far as i know the a2b offer doesn't lower grade offers for subject specific requirements. so what i think will happen is, if i don't get a straight up rejection, i may get an offer, not meet it because all of my grades are up to scratch save for the history, and they will reject me.... at AS i got AAAC (C in history, one mark off a B overall, history and russian studies being what i am applying for) and think i may get AAAB or AABB at A level.

i just don't know how any of this is going to turn out, quite frankly.

Latest

Trending

Trending