The Student Room Group

Why didn't Hindenburg stop Hitler?

I've got my Germany 1918-39 exam coming up soon, and one thing I'm not quite sure about is this- Why didn't Hindenburg stop Hitler from taking more power?...Like, was it that Hindenburg didn't see the threat of Hitler? Or was it because He was scared of Hitler? Why didn't He use Article 48 on him?...
Eurgh.
Reply 1
Oh that is a good question! I've got a history exam on this tomorrow. I guess he thought Hitler would naturally fail and he underestimated the power and support Hitler had.
Sorry I couldn't be much help.
Reply 2
Yeah everyone massively underestimated Hitler - also Hindenburg was nearly 80 while Hitler was Chancellor so probably wasn't that together or that powerful anymore I think :smile: does anyone know where we can get mark schemes to past papers? I assume you guys are doing edexcel? :smile:
It would have been seen as incredibly unlikely for Hitler to gain the power he did because:

- von Hindenburg was powerful - behind his power was not only is prestige as President, but the army, which although still at the size set by the Versailles agreement, was highly influential

- Hindenburg also wrongly believed that the Nazi Party could be controlled and used.
Reply 4
In the exam if I spell a name wrong, will this make me lose marks? eg. if I wrote Goebells wrong, but you can tell it says Goebells (like if I wrote Gobells)
It was his 'tash... it's hypnotic...
Hindenburg held Hitler in great disdain and thought him just a "jumped-up army corporal". However, in Germany at the time, the Nazi party were becoming quite popular. Hindenburg realised this and sought to use Hitler to raise public opinion of the government. He did not intend Hitler to become as devastatingly powerful as he did. Hindenburg's plot was to use Hitler as a puppet for Von Pappen.

Hitler was too headstong and the Nazis where becoming too popular - I don't think Hitler respected Hindenburg's authority and he knew it. Also, Hindenburg died before the Nazis did anything too bad (and the old codger didn't have powers to see into the future) so what grounds could he stop him?
Reply 7
I have this exam coming up too.. I should probably find out who Hindenburg was. D;
Original post by The Dark Lord
It was his 'tash... it's hypnotic...

Lol :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Tane
In the exam if I spell a name wrong, will this make me lose marks? eg. if I wrote Goebells wrong, but you can tell it says Goebells (like if I wrote Gobells)

I don't think it will - my teacher said the examiners are quite leniant to if you mess up the dates, so I guess the same will be for spelling :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending