The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lantana
Yay! Where we meeting?

ummmm.....

clacket lane? or possibly grandmas i'll ask.......

Original post by The Bagel Guy
Never heard of a Haynes? :P

i have one :tongue:

Original post by Jale
Oooh motorbike thread. Baby biker here, started last year, September, still on my wee 125. I'm a 21 year old PhD student.

Anyone got any advice on chip repair? I had a bit of a spill, and one of my rear indicator stalks bent, and a big bit of metal paint came off. Its down to the metal, so I was thinking that I need to put at least some base layer on like Hammerite...is colour matching a dead loss?

matt black it all! :tongue:

or just not worry about it.
Original post by Jale
Oooh motorbike thread. Baby biker here, started last year, September, still on my wee 125. I'm a 21 year old PhD student.

Anyone got any advice on chip repair? I had a bit of a spill, and one of my rear indicator stalks bent, and a big bit of metal paint came off. Its down to the metal, so I was thinking that I need to put at least some base layer on like Hammerite...is colour matching a dead loss?

Plastikote BBQ paint... Comes out a really nice satin/matte black, easy to paint and easy to touch up...

It's what I turn to for everything but body panels :smile:

Brilliant if you haven't got a stainless exhaust too!

I think trying to touch it up or colour match it is a dead loss with a 125 tbh, unless it's a superbly expensive, nice and shiny new one?
Reply 1382

Never heard of a Haynes? :P

She sat there reading it last night.

Although it didn't look as used as any my daddy owns :hmmm:
Reply 1383
Original post by Jale

In all honesty, really dont bother. I've never seen a chip repair done by an amateur which comes close to looking good. Most of the time its pretty obvious you've done a bad job and probably tried to hide something, at least if people can see what it is its honest.
Theory done! :biggrin: Was literally bricking myself when I left that computer up until I got my results.
Mod 1 booked for a week thursday, 8.30. Any tips? Gonna go practice things on quiet back roads once or twice a day.
Reply 1385
Original post by Adamski91

Theory done! :biggrin: Was literally bricking myself when I left that computer up until I got my results.
Mod 1 booked for a week thursday, 8.30. Any tips? Gonna go practice things on quiet back roads once or twice a day.

My tip: don't crash. Some guy at work failed his CBT (hehe, everyone thought I'd fail and he'd pass) coz he nearly crashed.
Original post by Juno

Why use it when i have a daddy and a pet?
Reply 1387
Original post by Bathwiggle

Why use it when i have a daddy and a pet?

My Daddy was very disappointed when he realised he couldn't get a cheap Haynes manual for his car. It's a newish Merc - he has a customised plate so I don't know how old it really is coz you can make em look older but not newer.
Original post by Jale

rsbikepaints.com will tell you the paint code and which primer to use. couple of layers of primer, another couple of colour then lacquer
Original post by Juno

No comments here :biggrin:
Reply 1390

Just relax and enjoy it. Keep your head up during the U turn, dont lock the back brake when doing the emergency stop. Dont hit the cones - its an instant fail when doing the swerve. The figure of 8 is pretty easy - use as much space as you need. Mod 1 is all about being able to get a good balance of clutch, accelerator and brake, practice being able to get them "set up" without much of an issue. Remember your on test from the moment you walk out the test centre towards your bike, so dont just jump on quickly and think that it only starts once you start your first manoeuvres. If it helps then use the ride from where you've parked your bike to the first manoeuvre to relax your nerves, get the feel of the bike again and just settle into it.

You will have done all the manoeuvres plenty of times before successfully, so all you have to do is repeat that with someone watching. Its not difficult, but it can be stressful.
Reply 1391
Well its not the shiny bit, its the indicator stalk on the back...and by 'a chip' i mean like bigger than a 2p piece bit missing where the whole stalk was bent and then bent back!

Cheers for the advice everyone.
Original post by Jale
Well its not the shiny bit, its the indicator stalk on the back...and by 'a chip' i mean like bigger than a 2p piece bit missing where the whole stalk was bent and then bent back!

Cheers for the advice everyone.

My indicator has no orange bit. I have patches of blue where i've replaced panels, i wouldn't worry about it too much
You turning it into a rat bike? :P
You turning it into a rat bike? :P

turning in to... ummm... is? It's matt black for a reason :biggrin:
Kinda like a mobile chalkboard?
Reply 1396
Somebody find me a place to do my training at, thanks
Training for what?
Kinda like a mobile chalkboard?

the chalk board has neat edges! i clean her sometimes, the rest of the time i just matt black over the dirt. But she does have amazing cans

Training for what?

her bike test!
she does have amazing cans

:perv:

Hello :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending