The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Siany_1989
Hi everyone,

Is anybody else experiencing problems accessing the online tests for Herbert Smith and Clifford Chance (for Winter vac schemes)

I submitted my HS application on Friday PM and received an email acknowledging my application. However, when I sign into my cvmail account and go to online assessments, it says 'TBA' under the HS test link (I have been checking it constantly and it still says it now)

I submitted my clifford chance application yesterday, again received an email acknowledging my application and saying I should shortly receive an email inviting me to take the verbal reasoning test - again I haven't received this.

Has anybody else had this? I work full time during the week as well so even if I ring HS tomorrow I will only have tomorrow night to complete the tests (deadline of 31 Oct) which is really frustrating after spending so long perfecting the app form!

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about phoning them, I think there is still a human element involved at this stage - I get the impression that they need to press the button, as it were, to send emails regarding the testing process to applicants. It took a few working days before I got the emails with instructions for online tests.
Reply 381
Original post by fredericmoreau
I wouldn't worry about phoning them, I think there is still a human element involved at this stage - I get the impression that they need to press the button, as it were, to send emails regarding the testing process to applicants. It took a few working days before I got the emails with instructions for online tests.

Took me ages to get the emails inviting me to take the tests, don't sweat it.
Reply 382
Hi again

When you are filling out the online application, what do you class as "Work History/Experience"? For example would an Open Day, or time spent in a solicitors firm count as work experience?
Original post by CloudLaw
Hi again

When you are filling out the online application, what do you class as "Work History/Experience"? For example would an Open Day, or time spent in a solicitors firm count as work experience?

Time spent in a firm would - but I don't think an Open Day would, unless you were applying to the firm at which you had an Open Day. Just my opinion though. Maybe it would be better to work it into one of the competency questions? Rather than putting it in the work experience section, include it as an experience in questions that ask about your motivations for a legal career?
Reply 384
Original post by CloudLaw
Hi again

Yes. Also non-legal work.
Just realised I've submitted my A&O form with all of my module results but no overall degree (or predicted result)...is it worth calling them first thing in the morning or have I screwed my chances completely?
Original post by slowdowngandhi
Just realised I've submitted my A&O form with all of my module results but no overall degree (or predicted result)...is it worth calling them first thing in the morning or have I screwed my chances completely?

I would call them - and then I guess you can gauge, from the tone of the conversation, whether the damage is irreparable or not!
Reply 387
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has heard from A&O regarding the winter vac scheme, I know the deadline was only yesterday, but generally they are really quick at getting back to applicants.
Reply 388
Original post by jjarvis
Yes. Also non-legal work.

Seriously? Open Days?
Original post by Clip
Seriously? Open Days?

I was also surprised at this at first, but I have seen some of the bigger firms specify that you mention any open days you have been to.
Reply 390
Original post by cocacola2
I was also surprised at this at first, but I have seen some of the bigger firms specify that you mention any open days you have been to.

You sure that's "experience"? Or are they just being nosy to see who else is about?
Original post by Clip
You sure that's "experience"? Or are they just being nosy to see who else is about?

Maybe... but I think they expect people to mention it who don't have other more suitable 'experience'.

So if you only had supermarket work and 1 open day.. it might be worth mentioning it.

The rationale behind mentioning it, supposedly, is that it shows you have researched the role. Open days allow you to see (I presume), solicitors at work.
Reply 392
Original post by Clip
Seriously? Open Days?

I'd list paid work experience and longer-term legal experience first, I think. Ideally, you'll list a mixture of paid experience and longer-term legal experience which is appropriate to the application.

As an example:

I had an application form for a city TC with four slots for experience. I'd done four mini-ps, a vacation scheme, and had a part-time job in uni. I listed the part-time job, the vac scheme, and the commercial minis. If I'd also had open days, I would have omitted them--but if I'd had less experience, I would include them. I'd also include an open day if it's for the firm to which you're applying.

There's not really a hard and fast answer, but I'd say include your best/most relevant experience. For some, particularly at the vac scheme application stage, that's going to include open days. It's better to list open days than to have nothing.
Hi there,

It would be great if someone could answer two quick questions for me:

1. For work experience- should I be referring to the various law firms as [Name] LLP or can I omit the LLP?

2. Specifically for A&O, I've sent off the winter vac scheme application, but I've also just opened an application for their non-law winter open day. Will this affect my vac scheme app? Should I withdraw the open day one and just wait for the result of the vac scheme first?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

M
Original post by mikeyh958
Hi there,

It would be great if someone could answer two quick questions for me:

1. For work experience- should I be referring to the various law firms as [Name] LLP or can I omit the LLP?

2. Specifically for A&O, I've sent off the winter vac scheme application, but I've also just opened an application for their non-law winter open day. Will this affect my vac scheme app? Should I withdraw the open day one and just wait for the result of the vac scheme first?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

M

Regarding whether to include LLP or not - I don't think it really matters. Being pedantic, the important thing is that you are consistent. So, don't write "Law Firm 1" and "Law Firm 2 LLP."

The difference between, for example (seeing as they are now on this forum!), "Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer" and "Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP" is that one is the brand name and the other is the legal name.

You don't see "McDonalds" calling themselves "McDonalds Corporation" - unless you're buying shares or it's in a "see you in court" fashion!

Regarding the Winter Open Day - I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply to both, but I'd check the website and see if it will let you. If you've successfully submitted the application for the VS, then I doubt a second application would somehow invalidate it.
First PFO, from Norton Rose. Ah well, onwards and (hopefully) upwards!
Original post by Siany_1989
Hi everyone,

Is anybody else experiencing problems accessing the online tests for Herbert Smith and Clifford Chance (for Winter vac schemes)

I submitted my HS application on Friday PM and received an email acknowledging my application. However, when I sign into my cvmail account and go to online assessments, it says 'TBA' under the HS test link (I have been checking it constantly and it still says it now)

I submitted my clifford chance application yesterday, again received an email acknowledging my application and saying I should shortly receive an email inviting me to take the verbal reasoning test - again I haven't received this.

Has anybody else had this? I work full time during the week as well so even if I ring HS tomorrow I will only have tomorrow night to complete the tests (deadline of 31 Oct) which is really frustrating after spending so long perfecting the app form!

Thanks in advance

I had no issues with Clifford Chance, but with HS, yes. It took them about three weeks to solve my problems with the online tests. I applied on 1st October and could not access the links until 23rd October, which was annoying as I wanted to get it sent off early because I was very busy last month.

It just takes persistence with HR I'm afraid.

Good luck!
Hello!

New to the forum!

A few things:

I received PFOs from A&O and Simmons & Simmons. A&O was received last week, Simmons this week.

I went to an open day last year and the grad recruitment manager told me that open days should be listed in apps as they are technically experience. I include it as work experience if I have the space, but I try to mention them somewhere at least.

Has anyone heard from Slaughters yet?
What was the A&O PFO for? I'm guessing it wasn't a winter vac as the deadline for that was only yesterday :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It was actually the winter vac scheme. I applied 2 weeks ago and I got my PFO at the end of last week. They must be recruiting on a rolling basis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending