The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

No news is good news, right??? :redface:
Original post by Wildcard
17 answers with a 0.2 chance of success (I'm assuming nobody can actually do those questions, so essentially you have the same chance as if you just guessed, and I think there are five options?) means you got 3.4/24, which probably puts you in the top 1% of scores for that test. A training contract is winging its way to you as we speak.

Haha, I love the optimism! :smile:

Went to the UCL law fair last night and the night before. Think some of the trainees I spoke to had had a sense of humour transplant! Also wasn't overly impressed by some of the people at firms I was already considering applying to (although part of me wonders if it is fair to judge an entire firm based on one person)

Also really liked the people at some firms I hadn't even thought about before, e.g. Mayer Brown and Wragge & Co. I guess that's the whole point of the fairs!

Yet still don't really have any idea about what sort of firm I'm after and what area of law I'd be most interested in, and there's so many to choose from to apply to for vac schemes etc..:s-smilie:
Original post by inspired username
PFO from Jones Day to add to the pile :no:

I still haven't heard from Jones Day, wonder what they're up to! Where else have you applied?
Reply 583
Hi guys, I am asking for a friend that has been shortlisted by a firm for a vac scheme. Generally, how long does it take for a firm to let an applicant know if you have been successful after being shortlisted? I am assuming a lot of this will be subject to how big the firm is, and how many applications they receive and the number of places available. However, if an applicant has been shortlisted is no news generally goods news for a while? Any insight into this is appreciated.
just had an interview with BLP. totally crushed.
Reply 585
Original post by lovejoypeace

Oh dear why what happened? Was it the negotiation?
Reply 586
Anyone heard anything from Travers Smith regarding Winter Vac Schemes? Or Hogan Lovells for their non-law open event?
Reply 587
Original post by tgb123
Anyone heard anything from Travers Smith regarding Winter Vac Schemes? Or Hogan Lovells for their non-law open event?

Travers have started handing out offers for winter.
Reply 588
Original post by lovejoypeace

sorry to hear that :s-smilie:, I have an interview with them next week. what was it like?
Original post by Miss Anna
Oh dear why what happened? Was it the negotiation?

she sounded disinterested and i fumbled at most of the questions. :X research research research!
Original post by Balagan
sorry to hear that :s-smilie:, I have an interview with them next week. what was it like?

good luck! it was really short. i hardly had time to elaborate.
Clifford Chance PFO...boo :frown:
Original post by hmaus
I think they are looking for a time when you have used your initiative e.g. come up with an effective new idea, successfully solved a problem etc. I would have answered it that way (and possibly did last year as it sounds familiar... which firm is it?)

If you are having trouble when it comes to this kind of question, it might be helpful to keep a list where you note down your strongest examples from work, ECs etc along with the competencies/question types which fit them. Then when you are faced with a few of these questions you can easily mix and match your stock answers, obviously tweaking them a bit to fit and mirror the language of the question.

Definitely don't repeat the same information but yes you can refer back to a time period that you have already mentioned in another section. It can be a good idea to save a little something extra for the further info box. If you draw on your employment or voluntary experience again you should make a different point, e.g. I had a job which was obviously listed in the employment section but under further info I sometimes wrote about ability to build client relationships and gave an example of how I went "the extra mile" for one particular client which resulted in winning more business for the firm. I sometimes used that example in a relevant competency Q but if not I put it in the "further info" for firms which really like to emphasise how client orientated they are. I think it can be good to pick a little example like that which matches the firm's values or the way it sees/markets itself if possible.

Hope that's helpful.

Yeah good points on the recycling of info thanks!

- still a little lost as for innovation though, I see your point, but my examples are more appropriate for competence questions - (assurance) but innovation suggests something slightly different...
Original post by Siany_1989
Clifford Chance PFO...boo :frown:

This is such an awful process... unless you went to Oxbridge - in which case you'll be straight in the door for an interview, regardless of whether you're a soulless drone or not!
Original post by fredericmoreau
This is such an awful process... unless you went to Oxbridge - in which case you'll be straight in the door for an interview, regardless of whether you're a soulless drone or not!

If there's one thing I really, profoundly dislike about the application forms, it's how they ask which Oxbridge college people are in. Why? It really gets on my nerves.

I haven't been rejected from CC today, but that probably just means a PFO will be winging its way to me tomorrow.
Interview at herbert smith - went TERRIBLE expecting a rejection any day now :frown:
Reply 596
One of my referees told me they'd received a request for a reference for summer VS, can I interpret this to be a good sign?
To those who've heard from Clifford Chance, is that for the winter workshop? If so how long ago did you submit and how long ago did you complete the verbal reasoning test? :smile:
Original post by slowdowngandhi
To those who've heard from Clifford Chance, is that for the winter workshop? If so how long ago did you submit and how long ago did you complete the verbal reasoning test? :smile:

Yes, winter workshop. I submitted around 10 days ago and did the verbal reasoning test about 24hrs afterwards.

I got a no today. On reflection, my application was not nearly thorough enough. Not to worry - learn and adjust!
Righty ho, thanks for that. Sorry to hear you didn't get it, are you waiting on any others?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending