The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Wildcard
14, probably gonna knock another 5 or so out before Christmas.

Whoa, is this all for the summer schemes? How many have you heard back from?
Reply 901
Original post by Wolfram222
I have realised I made a bad error on one of my forms - in work experience i put 2010 for something rather than 2011, and it was an Open Day at the firm I have applied to :frown: Do you think they will penalise me for the mistake?

There is literally no chance this has any effect whatsoever on your chances. Do not worry about it.

Original post by Harris
Whoa, is this all for the summer schemes? How many have you heard back from?

Sorry, I was being facetious. I went through all this last year, and applied to 7 in all. All of them were in October - December, but I didn't hear back from any of them until January (except for one or two instant rejections, which is a fact of life).
Original post by ToffeeMuffin
Do you require them to provide accommodation for you? I have some family in London but am not sure if they will be in the country at the time.

Any idea where they might put me if I had to ask them to provide me with accommodation? Would it be near the office, for example?

Yes I do, and Peachmelba's answered that one for you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by slowdowngandhi
Yes I do, and Peachmelba's answered that below :smile:

I think I will be joining you. Looking forward to meeting you soon! :smile:
Sent off 5, probably do 5 more.
Applied for 9 and planning on sending off a couple more.
Original post by Wildcard
There is literally no chance this has any effect whatsoever on your chances. Do not worry about it.

Sorry, I was being facetious. I went through all this last year, and applied to 7 in all. All of them were in October - December, but I didn't hear back from any of them until January (except for one or two instant rejections, which is a fact of life).

How many offers of vac schemes did you get? How many rejections did you get at application stage and how many rejections post-interview?

I've sent off five so far; two rejections - one rejection post-interview and one rejection post-psychometric test stage :tongue: I took the first rejection badly, the second one was a lot easier to take - I was just like meh I'll just keep sending more. Out of curiosity how come you are applying again this year? Good luck! :smile:
Reply 907
Original post by suffocation1992
How many offers of vac schemes did you get? How many rejections did you get at application stage and how many rejections post-interview?

7 applications, 3 interviews, 3 offers

I've sent off five so far; two rejections - one rejection post-interview and one rejection post-psychometric test stage :tongue: I took the first rejection badly, the second one was a lot easier to take - I was just like meh I'll just keep sending more. Out of curiosity how come you are applying again this year? Good luck! :smile:

Don't worry about it, rejections can come thick-and-fast, and for most firms, getting to the interview stage itself is a really good sign: some get 2000 applications and interview 80 for 40 spaces, for example, so the odds are actually good when you get an interview.

If you can, get feedback and see if there's something you're doing wrong, but sometimes it really is just a case of 'not the right fit for the firm'. I'm actually not applying again this time, I have my TC lined up, but occasionally it's possible to help people in the same position I was a year ago, so I post here now and again.

edit: I'll say again to those posting here - list the firms you're applying to, people might be able to help with specifics of the application forms for certain firms, what to expect at their interviews, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 908
Any news from White and Case, Jones Day (other then previously mentioned), Nabarro and Wragge?
Reply 909
Original post by eve_22
I did and was successful - my cover letter was roughly 850 words lond and I had approximately 400 words for my ECs.

Best of luck - it's a great firm and the vac scheme was also very good.

Thank you! I've cut mine down to 850 and 350 respectively and am keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply 910
Original post by Balagan
I already asked this but Ill ask again - has anyone here applied to Olswang? if so, has anyone heard ANYTHING from them? I applied nearlly two months ago and still nothing :s-smilie:

Hi Balagan,

I applied to Olswang for their spring scheme in early November and still haven't heard anything, let me know if you do!
Reply 911
Original post by VacS
Any news from White and Case, Jones Day (other then previously mentioned), Nabarro and Wragge?

I heard back from Jones Day in the end and have an interview in January.
10 (1 pfo from pannone already). Anyone heard from Eversheds phone interview?
If I am applying by CV and covering letter, do I have to put all my GCSE grades and subjects in my CV?
Just wanted to say - for future reference and for anyone thinking about next year - I would definitely recommend the Clifford Chance winter workshop. It's a great firm, the two days were interesting and action-packed, and literally everyone I met was really nice, friendly and down-to-earth.
Reply 915
Original post by noopee

Original post by noopee
I heard back from Jones Day in the end and have an interview in January.

Congrats! When did you apply to them?
Reply 916
Original post by VacS
Congrats! When did you apply to them?

I applied in the first half of November as far as I recall.
Hey guys,

I sen my Slaughter and May application through on Monday for the summer scheme. How long do they usually take to respond?

Sorry if this seems obvious.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 918
Original post by noopee
I applied in the first half of November as far as I recall.

Did they email or call you? Do you remember the name of the person who contacted you? Thanks
Reply 919
The early firm catches the citrus froot driver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending