The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trollman
Does anyone know which other firms are CV applications apart from S&M?

Original post by avocat
just read your post and had a minor panic - do many firms have a non law TC deadline that is january!? i know a few of them have march deadlines.

i'm not a non law final year but a graduate so i think this rule applies to me too.

Chambers Student Guide has a lot of this information. Here for example:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/UK%20Student%2012%20Applications%20&%20Selection.pdf

Quite a few of the US firms have CV + covering letter apps but I wouldn't apply to them on that basis alone - they are not suited to everyone.

The MC firms, for example, either have early deadlines for non-law or recruit on a rolling basis. So, you really pick to pull your fingers out it that's where you're targeting.

It might sound anal but I found it helpful to have a spreadsheet with the different firms I was interesting with key dates, application formats, intake, % interviewed, % receiving offers. Even if you are targeting only a few firms it's hard to keep it all in your head.

Happy new year, I hope it proves a successful one for you all.
First apps for spring/summer schemes submitted (Ashurst and Eversheds). Didn't realise that Ashurst doesn't interview for vac schemes until after I'd submitted the form so not overly optimistic about my chances now, and it's one of my fave firms! Planning to apply for a few more - definitely Mayer Brown and Wragge.

Unfortunately I've fallen in to the trap of applying to the firms which have the easiest application forms! I took one look at the forms for Pinsent Masons and Taylor Wessing and died a little inside...well done to those above for persisting with the Pinsents form! :tongue:

Also very annoyed with myself for leaving it so late to apply as I've probably reduced my chances significantly now (although I was applying for Winter ones for most of October).
Has anyone looked at the Reed Smith application form? In my opinion even worse than the Pinsents form.

Does anyone know of any list of firms or anything that would say when firms look at the applications they receive. I need to prioritise firms that recruit on a rolling basis over those that only look at applications after the deadline. Thanks
oh my god.. just did the logical reasoning one for herbert smith. absolute carnage!
How much do you think I need to prepare for the Freshfields Winter Workshop? Do I need to know their practice areas back to front and have exceptionally clever questions ready for every associate and partner I come across? I'm a little confused about how exactly to go about preparing!
Reply 1045
Original post by ToffeeMuffin
How much do you think I need to prepare for the Freshfields Winter Workshop? Do I need to know their practice areas back to front and have exceptionally clever questions ready for every associate and partner I come across? I'm a little confused about how exactly to go about preparing!

Ditto but for the Hogan Lovells one. I don't think they'll expect you to know their practice areas back to front so I'm not going to worry too much about that, maybe just familiarize yourself with some of the higher profile cases they are involved in at the moment. I'm fearing that they'll be throwing things out in conversation to sort of test our commercial awareness/opinions etc you like "so what do YOU think about this eurozone crisis?" yadda yadda...who knows! Starting to get nervous, and I have no idea what I'm going to wear (typical girl)
Reply 1046
Just did the clifford chance test - fuk - lol
Reply 1047
Original post by ToffeeMuffin

Original post by Sianeh
Ditto but for the Hogan Lovells one. I don't think they'll expect you to know their practice areas back to front so I'm not going to worry too much about that, maybe just familiarize yourself with some of the higher profile cases they are involved in at the moment. I'm fearing that they'll be throwing things out in conversation to sort of test our commercial awareness/opinions etc you like "so what do YOU think about this eurozone crisis?" yadda yadda...who knows! Starting to get nervous, and I have no idea what I'm going to wear (typical girl)

I did a winter workshop at Clifford Chance in December and found it was really quite relaxed on the knowledge front, i think its good to have basic understanding of what the firm does and its primary practice areas, but im assuming youve done that for your application anyway. Best thing to do is soak everything in and ask questions you genuinely have about what they do and working for them.
Is it true that Irwin Mitchell is the freaky firm?
Original post by Sianeh

hiii, well done on getting that as nearly everyone i have talked to didn't! What uni did u go to and what grade did u get? I'm genuinely really interested...as all people I know got rejected...any app advice? if you prefer to private message you can do that too :smile: x
Reply 1050
Original post by charanmann
hiii, well done on getting that as nearly everyone i have talked to didn't! What uni did u go to and what grade did u get? I'm genuinely really interested...as all people I know got rejected...any app advice? if you prefer to private message you can do that too :smile: x

I'll pm you
Just got rejected from Slaughter and May.
Original post by Phantom_X
Just got rejected from Slaughter and May.

Del
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alibaba03
Ah no, commiserations! :frown: But if it was for the Easter vac scheme, I think they then consider for the summer one with an interview?

Nah, Im applying for all summer ones as I am planning on competing in some debating competitions over Easter! Tbh I'm not too bothered, I would much rather a smaller firm anyway, I just thought that applying to some big ones might be fun!
PFO from Ashurst for their vac scheme.

Even sent the rejection email twice to make extra sure I got the message...
Original post by inspired username
PFO from Ashurst for their vac scheme.

Even sent the rejection email twice to make extra sure I got the message...

That's why they call them LAshurst.
Original post by Brevity
That's why they call them LAshurst.
The most exciting thing about this particular rejection was that I didn't have a clue who I was being rejected by until I got to the email sign-off.

The email came from 'Recruitment' using the standard email address [email protected], and the title was simply 'Placement Scheme' with a cvmail reference number. No mention whatsoever of the company name in the body of the email...
Ah man, well it seems like the rejections in the new year have started, hang in there guys, hopefully there'll be good news from other firms :smile:
Reply 1058
My friend got invited for an interview from Slaughters today - so it seems like they've gotten working on a new batch of applications.

(My friend is not me, unfortunately, as I haven't even sent any apps. yet lol).

Best of luck to all!
Reply 1059
Original post by trollman
Ooooo scary! Do you know when your friend applied? DW I've only sent off two including slaughters.

My S&M one is almost done lol, they say it's an 'easy application form'. :colonhash:

Tbh it probably is but I needed to do a new CV which took time, so just a covering letter to go.

And I just asked him on fb, he applied in the first week of December.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending