The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

What is everyone up to at the moment by the way?

After a busy month of open days, law related events and then doing work experience abroad for the last two weeks, I am absolutely shattered! I think I will take a few days off before I go back to researching firms.

I feel a bit out of the loop, this thread has grown and grown! Anyone reading anything interesting at the moment?
Reply 101
Original post by marrythenight
Sorry, just to clarify, why are you sending applications off already? Are you talking about vacation schemes for 2012? Are these firms with rolling applications?

Yes I am. The firm only had the closing date for apps, not an opening date. It was a downloadable form so I filled it in and emailed it to them. I've yet to receive a 'what are you doing?!' email back so I assume they'll just keep it to one side if they haven't started reviewing yet, which I'm sure they haven't. With all this free time I have it was nice to get one sent away before it starts getting busy in second year.
Original post by Sam o0o
Yes I am. The firm only had the closing date for apps, not an opening date. It was a downloadable form so I filled it in and emailed it to them. I've yet to receive a 'what are you doing?!' email back so I assume they'll just keep it to one side if they haven't started reviewing yet, which I'm sure they haven't. With all this free time I have it was nice to get one sent away before it starts getting busy in second year.

who was it you applied to?
Original post by Sam o0o

Who was it?

That's really early! I'm going to wait until the end of September before I start composing model answers etc. since I still have endeavours and achievements to accomplish this summer.

Are you going into second year of a non-law degree? Are you applying now in order to have a shot at VS/TC apps/interviews while you are in second year and third year? Or have I completely misunderstood the situation :s-smilie:
Reply 104
I'm surprised that firms are accepting applications so early. Be careful because if you've missed the opening date written somewhere on the website, it will be your minus as it will just show that you haven't researched carefully enough.

How many firms have you guys shortlisted? :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Caroline_
I'm surprised that firms are accepting applications so early. Be careful because if you've missed the opening date written somewhere on the website, it will be your minus as it will just show that you haven't researched carefully enough.

How many firms have you guys shortlisted? :smile:

I know :smile: But even if that was true I'm not too bothered. It's a good firm but it wasn't on my list before I happened to stumble onto their website.

I have around 15 firms on my list, basically all the ones that will accept penultimate year non-law apps.

Anyone applying for anything other than law placements?
Original post by Sam o0o
I know :smile: But even if that was true I'm not too bothered. It's a good firm but it wasn't on my list before I happened to stumble onto their website.

I have around 15 firms on my list, basically all the ones that will accept penultimate year non-law apps.

Anyone applying for anything other than law placements?

Are any of them silver circle? The firms I am researching on the silver circle only accept from final year non-law. Just out of interest, why are you applying to firms that accept penultimate year non-law? Is it so you can do vac schemes in second and third year?
Reply 107
Are any of them silver circle? The firms I am researching on the silver circle only accept from final year non-law. Just out of interest, why are you applying to firms that accept penultimate year non-law? Is it so you can do vac schemes in second and third year?

Yes they are, I don't know where you've been researching. I'm applying to them because I'll be penultimate year non-law :s-smilie:
Original post by Sam o0o
Yes they are, I don't know where you've been researching. I'm applying to them because I'll be penultimate year non-law :s-smilie:

Oh I keep forgetting you're talking about VS placements. I also am not so on the ball since I am reading a law degree, so don't have to cherrypick firms that allow second year non-law students to apply. You do realise for TCs they require you to apply during your final year, I hope:

"If you are studying towards a law degree, you need to apply after completing the second year of your degree, preferably when you have received your second year examination results. The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 July.

If you are studying towards a non-law degree, you should apply during the final year of your degree course. Applications are accepted from November onwards and the closing date for receipt of applications is 31 March. "

Good luck!
Reply 109
Oh I keep forgetting you're talking about VS placements. I also am not so on the ball since I am reading a law degree, so don't have to cherrypick firms that allow second year non-law students to apply. You do realise for TCs they require you to apply during your final year, I hope:

"If you are studying towards a law degree, you need to apply after completing the second year of your degree, preferably when you have received your second year examination results. The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 July.

If you are studying towards a non-law degree, you should apply during the final year of your degree course. Applications are accepted from November onwards and the closing date for receipt of applications is 31 March. "

Good luck!

Thanks but I've done my research too :wink:

Good luck to you as well!

There are several SC firms accepting applications from penultimate non-law students...
Original post by Sam o0o
Thanks but I've done my research too :wink:

Good luck to you as well!

Thanks :smile: No seriously, I wish you were on my course, you're so motivated and dedicated doing so much research! I've been enjoying my summer holidays too much and sunbathing all the time :biggrin:
That poster probably got the vacation schemes before the recession...

Yeah, he private messaged me the details.
You have done a lot of work pre vac scheme app work/research/ECs, WELL DONE..I'm slightly envious lol...Are you going into second year??
Original post by Israel - Fisherman
Yeah, he private messaged me the details.
You have done a lot of work pre vac scheme app work/research/ECs, WELL DONE..I'm slightly envious lol...Are you going into second year??

I am going into second year, yes. I can't wait!

I don't think I've done that much, not compared to Sam o0o :tongue:

I am about to start volunteering next week until I go back to university so that's something to fill in the time.

Are you going into second year too? Which course and university? Aiming for magic or silver circle?
First application sent!!! Its not for a VS though, its for the position of a Brand Manager with a large international firm. If I am successful, I automatically gain a place in the firm's assessment centre for a VS. So it would be a step in the right direction at least :smile:

I think I'm going to crack on with another application for some informal work experience this weekend, in the hope that informal experience will boost my VS applications in Autumn.

How is everyone elses prep/applications going? xx
Original post by laura_802
First application sent!!! Its not for a VS though, its for the position of a Brand Manager with a large international firm. If I am successful, I automatically gain a place in the firm's assessment centre for a VS. So it would be a step in the right direction at least :smile:

I think I'm going to crack on with another application for some informal work experience this weekend, in the hope that informal experience will boost my VS applications in Autumn.

How is everyone elses prep/applications going? xx

can i ask what firm? Will check and see if a similar position is available at my university?
Reply 116
Original post by Krishna442
can i ask what firm? Will check and see if a similar position is available at my university?

Its DLA Piper, the closing date is approaching so apply fast
Original post by Miss Anna

Thanks for sharing! Good luck :smile:

I think it closes this coming Friday if anyone is interested :smile: xx

Ah thanks for the replies, yea I'm applying there too, it's the only firm I've applied for so was wondering if the one you'd applied to was a different one. The positions were really badly advertised at our university, heard absolutely nothing about a couple of firms campus role positions which is a damn shame!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending