The Student Room Group

Grad entry or normal entry??

My sister got AAA at A Levels but didn't get any medicine offers so she had started biomedical engineering at Imperial college.

She averages a 2.1 now and has finished her 2nd year.

Is it better if you she applies for graduate entry or the normal 5yr entry stating she is dioing a degree now. Is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Which is better? Being kicked in the balls for 5 years or for 4 years?
Reply 2
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Which is better? Being kicked in the balls for 5 years or for 4 years?

Sorry my Question was not clear.

I meant which is easier to get into?
Neither.
Reply 4
Neither.

I heard that the grad entry is much more competitve?
Reply 5
Both are Medicine and are hard to get into. In the 5 year , you are fighting with school leavers and in the 4 year , you are fighting even fiercer with other graduates and much much much less pages.

But I am going to have to say Graduate Medicine is harder to get into. In terms of competitiveness anyway
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Both are Medicine and are hard to get into. In the 5 year , you are fighting with school leavers and in the 4 year , you are fighting even fiercer with other graduates and much much much less pages.

But I am going to have to say Graduate Medicine is harder to get into. In terms of competitiveness anyway

Well, not really. No graduate is going to take the place of a school leaver or vice versa. The places are fixed. So either way you're competing with graduates.
Reply 7
Well, not really. No graduate is going to take the place of a school leaver or vice versa. The places are fixed. So either way you're competing with graduates.

so better off applying fr grad entry?

Took you 3 posts to vaguely answer the OP's question.
Original post by lizard-tongue
Took you 3 posts to vaguely answer the OP's question.

I call it facilitated discovery.
I call it facilitated discovery.

You can call it whatever you want.
Original post by lizard-tongue
You can call it whatever you want.

Thanks for the permission, chief.

I definately hope your never going to have to operate on me
Original post by delasandro
I definately hope your never going to have to operate on me

Why's that then?
Thanks for the permission, chief.

Thanks for the neg rep.
Reply 15

Oh. I see. So they allocate some places on the 5 Year courses for the Grads as well I take it?
Reply 16
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Oh. I see. So they allocate some places on the 5 Year courses for the Grads as well I take it?

Is that actually true though- one medical school has like a 1/3 grads... ona 5 year course?

I have no idea- can someone clarify?

Wrong. Many medical schools don't specifically allocate places to grads or school leavers on their 5 year courses. At Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Cardiff, UCL, Glasgow, Aberdeen, UEA (and probably more) all applications are considered on their merit and are in direct competition with one another, regardless of whether they are grads, non-grad matures or school leavers.

Fixed numbers of places are allocated for internationals - this is done by the government.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nutta!
Is that actually true though- one medical school has like a 1/3 grads... ona 5 year course?

I have no idea- can someone clarify?

Yeah. They'll have x number of places for school leavers and y number for grads. Stops them from competing with each other and turning the whole thing into the American system whereby it's all grad students.
Original post by theatrical
Wrong. Many medical schools don't specifically allocate places to grads or school leavers on their 5 year courses. At Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Cardiff, UCL, Glasgow, Aberdeen, UEA (and probably more) all applications are considered on their merit and are in direct competition with one another, regardless of whether they are grads, non-grad matures or school leavers.

Fixed numbers of places are allocated for internationals - this is done by the government.

I've seen medical schools specifically state how many graduates they will take on their 5 yr courses :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending