The Student Room Group

What's college like?

Hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me what college is like compared to secondary school. Is it a big difference? What are the classes like? Do people act different? Etc...

Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If you thought school was bad, college is 10 times worse. Girls get bitcher, boys egos grow to the size of their heads.

If I was you, I'd make a select group of friends and concentrate on your studies.

Only way to come out alive.
Reply 2
At mine, the major differences are -

- No uniform.
- No bell at the end of break, lessons etc.
- You call the teachers by their first names.
- A lot more tolerant when it comes to absences and late homework.
- Everyone is there because they want to be, not because they have to be.
- You get money for going :biggrin: :tongue:
- Generally, class sizes are smaller, and there's a much bigger variety of classes available.
- People tend to be more mature. It's weeded out all the ones who go to school because they have to - and if you're doing A Levels, there's generally a very high level of maturity, as it tends to be the less-mature ones (I say tends to be, not always) who do vocational/ level 1 courses like cookery and hairdressing.
- Better trips :tongue:
- Teachers who know their stuff really well, and the lessons are far more advanced.
Reply 3
Original post by whattheheck
If you thought school was bad, college is 10 times worse. Girls get bitcher, boys egos grow to the size of their heads.

If I was you, I'd make a select group of friends and concentrate on your studies.

Ouch, I don't know what college you go to, but it sounds just like my high school :P

Nah, college is fantastic. Really informal, not many of the idiots you get at school, everyone's friendly, teaching is generally better than at school, more interesting subjects, blah blah blah. It's great :biggrin:
definitely no uniform unless your doing vocational courses or nvqs
so you can wear joggers, jeans, dresses or whatever you like
You can definitely call the lecturers by their first name or no more mrs smith/mr bloggs
no detentions
you design your learning plan
lecturers do not spoon feed information to you.
it's up to you
you can earn money at the same by getting a part time job/saturday job.
Original post by Iaso
Ouch, I don't know what college you go to, but it sounds just like my high school :P

Nah, college is fantastic. Really informal, not many of the idiots you get at school, everyone's friendly, teaching is generally better than at school, more interesting subjects, blah blah blah. It's great :biggrin:

'Twas a jungle. Lol.

Well I survived it.

Might be different for OP, I hope it is, so that they can enjoy the experience. Because it is valuable and prepares you for uni.
Reply 6
Well I think it depends on the place. I went 2 a college at first where u had to call the teacher sir and actually it was more stricter than secondary skool.
Now I've just finished a levels at another college and it was completely the opposite- class sizes ranged from 5-9. However most class sizes at college r around 22 rather than secondary skools 30. Just be urself and talk alot at college- I'm sure u'll have a gud time!
Reply 7

I disagree.i dont know what college you went to but i think the students become a lot more mature, especially the boys. girls become less bitchy and in general people get on with each other better.
Reply 8
'Twas a jungle. Lol.

Well I survived it.

Might be different for OP, I hope it is, so that they can enjoy the experience. Because it is valuable and prepares you for uni.

I hope so too - it really is a fantastic time and (should be) so much better than school :smile:
Original post by kay.p
I disagree.i dont know what college you went to but i think the students become a lot more mature, especially the boys. girls become less bitchy and in general people get on with each other better.

Must be something in the water where I'm from then. :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed it. I quite envy you in a way. :redface:
Reply 10
Sixth form is much better than highschool..

It's the exact same except you have more freedom.

Teachers are more lenient and they treat you like an adult instead of a child.

The morons (you know what I mean) have either left to get a job or follow a vocational course and the work isn't hard if you pay attention.
It's a bit ****.

But, when you think about it, what isn't?
Reply 12
Must be something in the water where I'm from then. :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed it. I quite envy you in a way. :redface:

lol. to be fair im only speaking from going to taster lessons for 4 days and what my cousin has told me about college.:smile:
Honestly, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

At college you actually get applauded for being a nerd like me :P Teachers are so helpful and they really care (of course this is all just from my experience). Most of my media/film teachers are really good friends now (also you can definitely tell that they're all practically in love with each other - one of my favourite things was that there's a really laid back and easy-going attitude, where everybody loves everyone and there are rainbows and unicorns on every floor...

Okay, this is just my experience ^^;

I do believe that most colleges have very infrequent lessons though - sometimes you'll have 4 lessons a day, sometimes just one, and if you're really lucky you'll get the whole of Wednesday free or something. In my AS year I was lucky enough to get a lie-in on Mondays and Fridays, and one lesson on Weds.

But generally, yes people are so much nicer and more mature, and there don't seem to be any 'clicks' or anything.
Honestly, I'm the geekiest little squeaky-clean fat nerdy film-loving Trekkie yellow-toothed girl on the planet, and I have literally 18 good friends made at college, from other nerds to Asps to slackers to even a drug dealer (seriously)! :biggrin:

Everyone's experience is different of course, but you'll never know if you don't try. It all depends on the place and your course, and whether you really want to be there or not. Teachers are very important too - one of our English teachers (they spread a class out over 2 or 3 teachers a week at our college) was basically like Prof. Binns from Harry Potter > boring as hell, often spent 30 mins talking about when he was a young boy he had a bike but the wheel fell of once and blah blah, and also very inexperienced with computers.

Life is what you make it. Shutting up now, I've rambled too much ^^;
Terrified of Uni next year - worried it won't live up to college haha :biggrin: x
Also, if you where a fez or pajamas or something to college (well, maybe not pajamas) or are carrying a large pinata with you, no-one will bat an eyelid.
Reply 15
I had the time of my life at college. Just about the best time in education.
Another great thing about college - you don't have to be there all day! :awesome: My only full day is a Monday when I have four lessons. Tuesday I get a lie in and get to go home at half past 12, wednesday I go home at half past 12, thursdays I get a lie in and Friday is the same as Tuesday! I love it :gah:
College provided me with the best years of my life :smile:

It's not as structured as high school, or it at least seems that way; you don't have assemblies and meet with everyone in your 'year'. Each course seems to keep themselves to themselves. So rather than knowing people your age exclusively, you're more likely to just talk to people doing the same course as you. You're given so much more freedom, but it's up to you how you use this freedom. If you take the piss, you may end up struggling, but if you put a fairly good amount of effort, then you shouldn't find things too difficult. The lecturers are usually helpful and understanding.

The mood/attitude of people seems a lot different too: they're now in a place they chose (in most cases) rather than a place they were forced to go. So people seem happier and more relaxed.

I hated school and loved college. They two are like chalk and cheese to be honest.
Reply 18
Thanks everyone. The majority of you said it was a good experience which has reassured me. :biggrin: I'm just worried that people will think I'm weird or snobby because I'm shy and I'm worried about not making friends there.
Reply 19
Original post by Sokka
Nonsense. How can you state that as a difference between school and college? :confused:

read it again.

Quick Reply

Latest