The Student Room Group

Roomate disagreement, am I in the wrong?

Scroll to see replies

:lolwut: :facepalm:
I could swear to god we had exactly this thread a few months ago ...

Now, I'm no expert, but either the dispute still hasn't been sorted, or you're trolling :holmes:.
Oh how I love the people who claim that they "are not homophobic but ...". No different to saying "I'm not racist but" and it usually means you are exactly the thing you claim you are not.
Reply 43
Why should it bother you? You're letting yourself be prejudiced.
Would you have issues if one of your straight roommates brought a girl home? If that's fine, but a gay roommate bringing a guy home bothers you, then you're in the wrong. If you just want a whole house of celibacy, and would be equally annoyed at heterosexual sex going on in the next room, then you need to make your point clearer to your roommates, because they all think you're a homophobe.
Reply 45
Original post by BiggerRickenbacker
You thought about that quite a lot, didn't you, Dave!:biggrin:

The point is you can say 'I don't like the idea of seeing two guys kissing' or 'I don't want to hear two guys having sex' and you will be lamblasted by people on here as being homophobic.

Regardless if you state even if it was a guy and a girl you would feel uncomfortable, people jump in bounding around accusations.
Reply 46
i understand your point and wouldnt want to live with that either. but if he is really a friend maybe you can look past it.
Can I just point out that there is nothing inherently wrong with being homophobic (unless you bully or attack people).

I am not homophobic, have several good mates who are gay, and would not in the slightest bit mind sharing a house with a gay couple or whatever.

But I can't stand this moronic insistence that certain views are better than others. If the guy feels uncomfortable around gay people, it does not mean he is a bad guy. It's amazing how intolerant the 'tolerant' can be.
Original post by Irving :)
So a couple of days ago I was having a farewell drink with the lads (6 of us, including me) I'll be living with next year (for uni) and one of them casually said "Oh my boyfriend is transferring to this uni next year" as if this was no big deal.

Everyone was shocked because he's very beefy and ruggid and not camp or effeminate at all. I'm not homophobic but I'm just not comfortable living with one with their boyfriend coming round and all that.

I raised this issue with him and he got all pissed off, called me a homophobe and said he doesn't want to live with me anyway AND 2 of my other mates are threatening to walk out in sympathy :eek:

Am I really in the wrong here, I'm not being homophobic cos I still want us to be friends and 2 of the lads are backing me up

You should have known that the guy was gay and what that would lead to eg. having bf's around etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending