The Student Room Group

Meeting someone you've met online...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I met a girl online and well long story short, she killed me.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
:lol: Well, I didn't quite mean it like that. I did mention using common sense :p:

Bahahah.:colondollar:

Also, the advert for the movie Catfish was so creepy, I could never watch that.
And did you just meet them for a day, yeah?
Reply 22
Tell your parents.
I met my first boyfriend online when I was 14 and my parents agreed to let him stay for a weekend after we'd been talking for about 9 months. We ended up being together for over 3 years.
I also met my current boyfriend online when I was 18, and I told them about him as well.

I know you said it's not the norm, but it's becoming more and more common and it's not really something worth hiding, just be safe.
Meet with a friend in a public place. It's what I did and it went superbly :biggrin:
Original post by Veryveryconfused
I would go Anonymous, but I don't see the point really.

I would give a whole load of details, but I want to meet someone online and I'm only 17, don't think my parents would approve and don't see how I'm going to hide it from them.

So do I tell my parents straight up about this? (Admittedly, yes.. I am in a relationship. That's why I want to meet them even more so. Feel free to slaughter me with your judgements)

Or should I just forget about it?

Any with any personal stories, or opinions, please do post. And slag me for doing something online if you want, because I know it isn't the norm. :erm:

I'm in a relationship with a guy I met off the internet (TSR actually!) and there were absolutely no problems with our first meet-up. It's becoming a lot more common, we're utilising more and more the potential of the internet to meet new people.

I wouldn't tell your parents. Tell them where you're going before you do so, but seriously if you mention you're meeting someone online they'll very likely get extremely paranoid and possibly forbid you from going. And given that you're in a relationship with this guy, you wouldn't want that happening, would you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by edd360
Again, I am unsure as to what difference it makes? Why would they do anything? :confused:

Obviously you know your parents better than I, they might see something here I don't, but this is definitely not something I would refrain from telling my parents.

To me it's no different to telling them what I had for dinner or something.

They might stop me talking to him if I tell them. Which makes me wonder if I should wait till I'm 18, so I may have a better chance. That's next year though and we do want to meet each other quite a lot, especially since we have a lot of free time.

I'm refraining because I really, really do not know how they would react and I'm scared they will disapprove.

It's a lot different to me. Not to my best friend though, found out that she told her parents about my relationship like it was perfectly normal too.
Yep, done facebook telephone and shizzle.

I'm not scared at all of that, I'm scared about what my parents would do if I told them and if I met this person.

Ah, I understand. A while ago I went to meet up with a guy online, and beforehand my dad found out and kept on asking me all these questions, like what he does, how old he is and how I know him, and I felt quite uneasy telling him that I'd met him online, as I really thought he'd forbid it. I did end up answering truthfully to all his questions, and he thankfully didn't forbid me or anything, just didn't really approve of me travelling so far to meet him (the guy lives pretty far away from me and we were meeting halfway). I still did it anyway :p:

I have no idea what you're parents are like, so it's up to you to judge whether it's best to tell them or not. I reckon honesty is often the best policy though. If they are really uneasy about it, you could try to come to a compromise by bringing along one of them, or another friend or relative, to meet the guy to double check your safety and have your back.

Bahahah.:colondollar:

Also, the advert for the movie Catfish was so creepy, I could never watch that.
And did you just meet them for a day, yeah?

Yeah, on both occasions I met them for just the day.

The Catfish movie was actually pretty good. It's not even scary, the trailer is just a bit misleading :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
I met someone off the internet when I was 16. She got a train to mine and we just had a chat in a cafe and I showed her around the coastal city. It was extremely nerve wracking not knowing what to expect but it all worked out fine. I don't think my mouth has ever been that dry before. My Dad was totally cool with it.

The bad stigma the whole online dating / meeting someone from online is kind of wearing off now and it's becoming more acceptable, especially as more and more of us are spending more and more time on our computers.

Good luck with yours! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smoosh
Tell your parents.
I met my first boyfriend online when I was 14 and my parents agreed to let him stay for a weekend after we'd been talking for about 9 months. We ended up being together for over 3 years.
I also met my current boyfriend online when I was 18, and I told them about him as well.

I know you said it's not the norm, but it's becoming more and more common and it's not really something worth hiding, just be safe.

Wow at 14? If I ever tell my parents and they say no, this is going to be majorly depressing. ;-;

It is becoming the norm in a way, yeah.. I actually have a friend from school, we've hung out a few times afterwards but not a lot. He met his boyfriend recently, whilst his parents were on holiday. When they found out they were raging apparently and wouldn't talk to him for a while.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Ah, I understand. A while ago I went to meet up with a guy online, and beforehand my dad found out and kept on asking me all these questions, like what he does, how old he is and how I know him, and I felt quite uneasy telling him that I'd met him online, as I really thought he'd forbid it. I did end up answering truthfully to all his questions, and he thankfully didn't forbid me or anything, just didn't really approve of me travelling so far to meet him (the guy lives pretty far away from me and we were meeting halfway). I still did it anyway :p:

I have no idea what you're parents are like, so it's up to you to judge whether it's best to tell them or not. I reckon honesty is often the best policy though. If they are really uneasy about it, you could try to come to a compromise by bringing along one of them, or another friend or relative, to meet the guy to double check your safety and have your back.

Yeah, on both occasions I met them for just the day.

Ohh I do worry my mum will ask all these questions, she's quite nosey like that. It makes me sick to think of it and her possibly judging me. Hmm he's quite far away. I'm up in central Scotland and he's down south of England. Heh, you did it anyway, wasn't he mad afterwards?

Yeah it's up to me. I just don't talk to my parents a lot which makes it harder. I don't even know if I could make a compromise.
Reply 30
I don't know, I know it's not a real relationship and all. We just talked so much and ended up liking each other a lot, I didn't plan for this to happen.

And I'd take a friend, of course.
It's just telling my parents I'm unsure of, they might tell me to stop contacting him.

I kinda felt the same way and still haven't told my parents. He wanted to pursue it further but I said no. Don't tell them if you don't want to.
I'd say don't tell your parents. They might stop you from go assuming the worst that he isn't who he says he is.
Meet in a public place and bring a friend or at least tell them that your meeting him. You can always tell your parents sometime later once you've actually met as theres nothing they can do if you've already met him.
Original post by Astonix
I met someone off the internet when I was 16. She got a train to mine and we just had a chat in a cafe and I showed her around the coastal city. It was extremely nerve wracking not knowing what to expect but it all worked out fine. I don't think my mouth has ever been that dry before. My Dad was totally cool with it.

The bad stigma the whole online dating / meeting someone from online is kind of wearing off now and it's becoming more acceptable, especially as more and more of us are spending more and more time on our computers.

Good luck with yours! :smile:

Awwk, that's nice. ^^ But how was your dad cool with it? Seems so odd to me, despite the whole bad stigma thing. My dad never touches our computer, ever.
Reply 33
If your a bloke then just play it cool with your parents, its up to you whether you mention it to your rents or not, however, if your a girl then I'd probs be a little more careful and therefore would tell whoever your closest to just where your going in case anything weird happens, better safe than sorry and all that..... Good luck and I hope it works out well for you!
Done it once. We didn't meet online technically. She said somebody we both know gave me the address. I never bothered checking which looking back was very stupid.

However there comes a point where you're just sure. When the girl you're talking to is on webcam holding up funny signs with your name on she's not exactly going to be staging it is it. After talks on the phone etc. and you meet them in a very public place etc.

At the risk of sounding sexist I'm a guy who can handle himself reasonably well and we met in a cafe ... hardly saw it going badly.

Obviously be careful though. Everything isn't always the way it seems.
Reply 35
bring a weapon imo...
Reply 36
Awwk, that's nice. ^^ But how was your dad cool with it? Seems so odd to me, despite the whole bad stigma thing. My dad never touches our computer, ever.

Well my older brother had a girlfriend for a while with someone from a dating site so my Dad was probably kind of use to the idea by the time it came to me. Later down the line my Dad hooked up with on of his ex's as well by catching her online and chatting again.

Jee, my family spends too long on the Computer : |

It might not be as easy for you though as you're a woman which kind of changes everything as your parents might fear for your safety or something. You could propose they take you and drop you off so they catch a glimpse of him or something but insist they don't speak to him if you don't want them to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
I'm in a relationship with a guy I met off the internet (TSR actually!) and there were absolutely no problems with our first meet-up. It's becoming a lot more common, we're utilising more and more the potential of the internet to meet new people.

I wouldn't tell your parents. Tell them where you're going before you do so, but seriously if you mention you're meeting someone online they'll very likely get extremely paranoid and possibly forbid you from going. And given that you're in a relationship with this guy, you wouldn't want that happening, would you?

I really don't want that to happen. Although I've considered breaking up quite a few times because I'm so worried about what happens when they find out one day.
Ohh I do worry my mum will ask all these questions, she's quite nosey like that. It makes me sick to think of it and her possibly judging me. Hmm he's quite far away. I'm up in central Scotland and he's down south of England. Heh, you did it anyway, wasn't he mad afterwards?

Yeah it's up to me. I just don't talk to my parents a lot which makes it harder. I don't even know if I could make a compromise.

Woah, that's quite a distance! :eek: I didn't quite have nearly that distance in my case (midlands and south east England).

Eh, funnily enough my dad hasn't even mentioned it since. He either completely forgot or just wasn't bothered anymore :dontknow:
I really don't want that to happen. Although I've considered breaking up quite a few times because I'm so worried about what happens when they find out one day.

For the moment, seriously just lie. Tell your parents that you met this guy through one of your friends or something. If things continue to go well between you and your online bf, and your parents become familiarised with him, THEN you can tell them (they'll be annoyed that you lied but they won't care whatsoever at that point that you met him off the internet). Plus, it would make for a great story later on :biggrin:

And ffs don't break up with the guy over something so stupid. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending