The Student Room Group

Meeting someone you've met online...

I would go Anonymous, but I don't see the point really.

I would give a whole load of details, but I want to meet someone online and I'm only 17, don't think my parents would approve and don't see how I'm going to hide it from them.

So do I tell my parents straight up about this? (Admittedly, yes.. I am in a relationship. That's why I want to meet them even more so. Feel free to slaughter me with your judgements)

Or should I just forget about it?

Any with any personal stories, or opinions, please do post. And slag me for doing something online if you want, because I know it isn't the norm. :erm:

Scroll to see replies

You left out the most important detail, are you male or female.
Tell someone you trust what your doing, where you are going and meet in a public place.
Reply 3
If you're truly desperate, go with your parents, in a public place.
Reply 4
Do it if you want and if you're absolutely sure they are who they say they are.
I've met someone from online before. It went well and we turned out to be good friends :smile:
Reply 5
When you meet people online, there's facebook and telephone and shizzle. TBH I'm really not sure what the problem with this actually is?

Are you scared they might not be who they say they are? Or what?
Original post by I am Nick Clegg
You left out the most important detail, are you male or female.

Oh burning hell's biscuits, Cleggy, how could I?
I'm female, and he's male.
Do you have them on Facebook? That would be a good place to start, as you can look around and get more of an idea of whether they seem legit, like if they're tagged in many photos with friends for example. Though I guess the only downfall is that FB isn't 100% foolproof, as proved by the Catfish movie, but it's an idea.

I've met people from online and I've been completely fine. Just make sure to meet them in a very public and preferably busy place, and use your common sense about personal safety. If you ever start to feel uncomfortable, then make a dash for it as soon as possible.
Original post by tehforum
If you're truly desperate, go with your parents, in a public place.

I don't know whether they would approve of it though, just to even tell them I want to meet someone.
Reply 9
I have had two boyfriends that I've met online.

The first was difficult because my mom was SO against talking to people online that you don't know in real life. Due to how far apart we were from each other, I knew I had no choice but to tell my parents. They had a hard time adapting to it and accepting it and still don't understand it, but they at least calmed down enough to let me meet the guy.

Just be honest about it. Do your best to explain the situation and get them to understand how you're feeling. There's no sense in lying about it when the truth will likely come out eventually. If things really take off with this guy, you don't want to have to continuously lie about how you met. And I think your parents would prefer it if you came clean rather than if they found out on their own and caught you in a lie.
Original post by edd360
When you meet people online, there's facebook and telephone and shizzle. TBH I'm really not sure what the problem with this actually is?

Are you scared they might not be who they say they are? Or what?

Yep, done facebook telephone and shizzle.

I'm not scared at all of that, I'm scared about what my parents would do if I told them and if I met this person.
Reply 11
Get proof that it actually is them first, through webcam, phone ect, then when you arrange to meet bring a parent or friend with you, shouldn't be a problem, just safety common sense tbh. Also show your parents evidence that it actually is them and not a 60 year old serial killer xD My parents always have a negative stigma of me talking to people i've never met before, but then again they just listen to what the media tells them ¬¬ (omg, ALL people on the internet are male pedo's pretending to be 17 again) The chances of that is like what? 0.0000000001
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Veryveryconfused
I would go Anonymous, but I don't see the point really.

I would give a whole load of details, but I want to meet someone online and I'm only 17, don't think my parents would approve and don't see how I'm going to hide it from them.

So do I tell my parents straight up about this? (Admittedly, yes.. I am in a relationship. That's why I want to meet them even more so. Feel free to slaughter me with your judgements)

Or should I just forget about it?

Any with any personal stories, or opinions, please do post. And slag me for doing something online if you want, because I know it isn't the norm. :erm:

How can you be in a relationship with him? I would take someone with you but its your decision at the end of the day. When I was 14 I met up with a 19 year old -alone. I regret it and don't regret it. Looking back it was extremely stupid, anything could have happened and I didn't tell my parents. We are still friends(3 years later) . You are mature enough- anyway compared to me but will advise you to take a friend.
Reply 13
17 isn't that young to be fair...go and do something young and reckless while you still can. Shopping centres are good places to meet up because there's safety in a crowd and stuff to do.
Reply 14
I've met people online. Just meet some where public and be yourself.
Original post by tripsis
I have had two boyfriends that I've met online.

The first was difficult because my mom was SO against talking to people online that you don't know in real life. Due to how far apart we were from each other, I knew I had no choice but to tell my parents. They had a hard time adapting to it and accepting it and still don't understand it, but they at least calmed down enough to let me meet the guy.

Just be honest about it. Do your best to explain the situation and get them to understand how you're feeling. There's no sense in lying about it when the truth will likely come out eventually. If things really take off with this guy, you don't want to have to continuously lie about how you met. And I think your parents would prefer it if you came clean rather than if they found out on their own and caught you in a lie.

Mm this is really difficult. We're quite far apart too, I just don't know if they would calm down like your parents did. I wonder if they'd just get angry, tell me to stop being a naive idiot and forget about it.
Original post by Milky Milk
Him: "So do you live in this city, or..?"
You: *Legging it down the road*

I think there should be a little more tact involved than just making a dash :teehee:

:lol: Well, I didn't quite mean it like that. I did mention using common sense :p:
Reply 17
I've met a fair few people online before having met them in person (though all of which unromantically) - there's no reason not to in principle. If you know the person reasonably well, then take the precautions of meeting in a public place and letting someone know what you're doing, but the risk of them not being who they said they were is likely to be very low. If you've had a video chat with the person then you may as well have met them in person anyway.

Best of luck. Oh, and don't cheat on your boyfriend.
Original post by Ebuwa
How can you be in a relationship with him? I would take someone with you but its your decision at the end of the day. When I was 14 I met up with a 19 year old -alone. I regret it and don't regret it. Looking back it was extremely stupid, anything could have happened and I didn't tell my parents. We are still friends(3 years later) . You are mature enough- anyway compared to me but will advise you to take a friend.

I don't know, I know it's not a real relationship and all. We just talked so much and ended up liking each other a lot, I didn't plan for this to happen.

And I'd take a friend, of course.
It's just telling my parents I'm unsure of, they might tell me to stop contacting him.
Reply 19
Original post by Veryveryconfused
Yep, done facebook telephone and shizzle.

I'm not scared at all of that, I'm scared about what my parents would do if I told them and if I met this person.

Again, I am unsure as to what difference it makes? Why would they do anything? :confused:

Obviously you know your parents better than I, they might see something here I don't, but this is definitely not something I would refrain from telling my parents.

To me it's no different to telling them what I had for dinner or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending