The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Wanting to study at Northumbria? Any questions? Ask here.

Hello!
If there is anyone that is applying to Northumbria and has questions, please do not hestitate to ask on this thread.
We may not be able to give you a full answer, but we can help to point you to someone who will be able to help you.
This thread has been created specifically for potential students who have any worries or queries about the university.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I just got an email from Northumbria recently, which stated:
"We want to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to go to university and to help make this possible Northumbria University has announced a £14.5m bursary and scholarship scheme for students from lower income households. Click here for more information "

I want to do Occupational Therapy, an NHS funded course, and wanted to know whether the above bursary would apply to me? I have tried to find an email address of someone who would know about this, but I cannot seem to find one, and keep getting re-directed to student finance england :/

Also, I really really REALLY want to live in halls, but I would be classed as a local student so accommodation is not guaranteed for me. However, being able to live in halls is kind of a make it or break it for me, so would there be any way of knowing whether I would be offered accommodation BEFORE firming Northumbria? Thanks for any reply!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Thank you for the questions.
What year are you thinking of coming to Northumbria? The rules for bursaries and scholarships 2011 will be different to 2012 so it depends on which year you are applying to.
2012 entry :biggrin: & I am also aware that bursary stuff is currently under wraps and being re-evaluated, but is there a chance that the NHS bursary will be abolished?
Thanks for that, we'll look into that today and get back to you!
Anyone else got a question need answering?
We have looked into your accommodation query. For the academic year 2012/2013, there will be no restrictions in place for local students. This therefore means that you have the same opportunity as students from other areas for a place in halls. However this is subject to change. Does this answer your question?
Reply 6
Im doing a health course, so was wondering when allocating accomodations am I likely to be placed with people doing simular courses or is it completely random? And am I more likely to be put into accommodation closer to coach lane? as I would rather live closer to the city.
Original post by Northumbria
We have looked into your accommodation query. For the academic year 2012/2013, there will be no restrictions in place for local students. This therefore means that you have the same opportunity as students from other areas for a place in halls. However this is subject to change. Does this answer your question?

Yay! Yes it does! Definetly my first choice uni now! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jadelyndsey
Yay! Yes it does! Definetly my first choice uni now! Thanks :smile:

Glad to hear it! All the best with starting university when you start and thank you for your question :smile:
Reply 9
If studying Msc at Northumbria, should I stay on Campus or off campus. Which is cheaper? If off campus, which location is convenient?
Original post by Pion
If studying Msc at Northumbria, should I stay on Campus or off campus. Which is cheaper? If off campus, which location is convenient?

Check out Northumbria University Accommodation @ Northumbria Students each accommodation is easily comparable. Each shows the distance from city campus. Hope this helps. The individual listings are still in progress (like the rest of the site)...
Original post by Ali.R
Im doing a health course, so was wondering when allocating accomodations am I likely to be placed with people doing simular courses or is it completely random? And am I more likely to be put into accommodation closer to coach lane? as I would rather live closer to the city.

Hello there, sorry for the delayed response. If you applied for accommodation at Coach Lane then the accommodation office would try and place you nearer to campus, but if you applied for other halls closer to the City campus, then your application would be based on these choices. Due to some of the halls being closed down for renovation, there will be a shortage of space so they are likely to be placing a lot of students from Coach Lane into halls in the city centre. The accommodation team try to place people of similar courses together but we're unsure on how this may work due to some of Coach Lane being closed.
Does this help/answer your question at all?
:smile:
Original post by Pion

We don’t usually have specific halls that are more suited to PHD or MA students. However, when student applies we do try to take into consideration factors such as their age and degree course in order to best allocate them accommodation. The earlier on in the year a student applies the easier it is to cater to specific needs, for example at one time we were able to allocate a full floor to PHD students only so that it would be a quiet floor. The later a student applies, the less likely it is we can accommodate so specifically. When a student applies they do have an option of putting in a request to be in ‘quiet accommodation’, but again this is subject to availability.

In answer to your question about the costs, it is cheaper to live off campus in general but you must then take into account travel costs, bills etc. With halls, you are on campus, with the security and safety of the university and it also means that it'll take you 5 minutes to get to university each day. If you were thinking more down the route of private accommodation, the best areas to look into are Heaton, Jesmond, Sandyford, Fenham, Gosforth, City Centre and Quayside. All rather close to the city centre, up to 30 minute bus journeys. This website is rather useful for finding accommodation privately, http://www.househustler.co.uk.

Has this answer helped? :smile: Please do not hestitate to contact us again with further queries.
Reply 13
Thx a lot ... your information is clear enough .... That help me a lot. I will take a look some house and consider where I should live, on or off-campus.
No problem :smile: We hope you make the right decision best suited to you.

Any other questions or problems? :smile:
Reply 15

Hello there, sorry for the delayed response. If you applied for accommodation at Coach Lane then the accommodation office would try and place you nearer to campus, but if you applied for other halls closer to the City campus, then your application would be based on these choices. Due to some of the halls being closed down for renovation, there will be a shortage of space so they are likely to be placing a lot of students from Coach Lane into halls in the city centre. The accommodation team try to place people of similar courses together but we're unsure on how this may work due to some of Coach Lane being closed.
Does this help/answer your question at all?

Hey, yeah this helps thanks :smile:. I think I put down on my application that I would like a city ensuite. Was just sort of worried that it works differently with people doing health courses as they are a lot different than other courses because of the hours and times so would place them all with each other in the same building, which is really not what I want.

Also is there a lot of room left in either of the 2 new buildings? Im really hoping to get a room in one of them two, but concerned that they might be quite popular and all the rooms have already been allocated.

Reply 16
Hi, I'm going to be doing a adv diploma in mental health but the course doesn't start untill March 2012, so am I correct in assuming that I will have to find my own accomodation or that I can apply for halls untill March 2013 as I'm from Birmingham so will really need to start thinking about sorting it out sometime soon. Thanks Louis
Hi, my first choice is actually Newcastle university, but I no longer think i'll get the grades to be accepted in September. I know it's very late but i'm only just applying for accomodation now, i'm going to study business with economics.

Has anybody got any advice where a good place to stay would be? I would prefer an en-suite room near the campus.

Thanks for your help in advance, Tom.
Reply 18
I've been offered a place to study mlaw exempting which you need ABB to study. Northumbria is my firm and basically I'm crapping myself incase I don't get the grades. How lenient can and have Northumbria been if people don't get the grades but have Northumbria as their firm?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm seriously considering going to Northumbria University when I come to choosing my University for an accountancy BA Hons as it is local.

I'm also seriously considering living in the halls of residence.

I have a couple of queries.

1) For the BA Hons Accounting course at Northumbria uni, it says it needs "300 UCAS tariff points (in region of BBB at A level)" <<< Does that mean 300 points from 3 full A levels, or 300 points from 3 full A levels + the 5 AS levels I'm doing at the moment

2) What experiences are there available at Northumbria (for students I mean)? Since I'm looking at staying at the halls of residence, I'd like to know what's available for the students...any gigs on? Or alcohol? Or live sport? etc.

3) Is there any free days during the week? I'm solely looking at the accounting course at Northumbria uni, so does that mean I'd have more 'free periods' to go and have fun at the student union part or study using the resources available?

Will there be any days free yet? Do you know what the timetable is for accountancy at Northumbria uni for the 2012 point of entry?

Reply ASAP please, I do wish to have all the information I need before Christmas arrives...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending