The Student Room Group

Meeting boyfriend's parents!

I am having dinner with my boyfriends parents next monday and, partly because I worry easily and partly because I have a lot of spare time to worry about it, I am really panicking over what I should wear.:frown: I know it isn't an important aspect and all that should matter is them getting to know me as a person, but I really want to make a good first impression. Plus, this is the first time I've ever met a boyfriend's parents, so I don't really know what to expect.

At first I was considering buying a plain black dress and pairing that with a cardigan and tights, but I don't want to look too formal and serious and make it seem as if I'm trying to hard.

http://www.oasis-stores.com/Lace-Insert-Prarie-Dress/Dresses/oasis/fcp-product/4470085914

After a bit of looking around this morning, I found this which I thought was nice, simple, slightly formal but not overdoing it. I was thinking about wearing black flats with it. Would you say it's appropriate to wear? Also, any other suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, and should I wear lipgloss/lipstick. Thanx.:smile:
Woah that's too much.

Just wear a simple shirt and jeans, really casual since its only dinner. Oh and wear lipgloss and not a bright lip. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by OmicronPersei8
Woah that's too much.

Just wear a simple shirt and jeans, really casual since its only dinner. Oh and wear lipgloss and not a bright lip. :h:

But it is a formal-ish dinner. We're going out to a really nice restaurant and his parents, well, he himself warned me that they can be quite snobby.
Looks nice enough for a formal-ish dinner to me :smile:

I'm also meeting my boyfriend's parents on Monday! :P Except they live in N.Ireland and I live in England so I'll be staying with them for 3 weeks :O eeeeeeeeek! Have to go find nice clothes to wear for 3 weeks (including to wear to a family wedding!) Feeling better about yours now? xD
Original post by issyconnor
But it is a formal-ish dinner. We're going out to a really nice restaurant and his parents, well, he himself warned me that they can be quite snobby.

I'd have a look through these option (I think the Oasis dress has too much going on - frills)

http://www.asos.com/Women/Dresses/Evening-Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=8857
Go in your PJ's man.
Reply 6
Original post by Sally <3 Howl
Looks nice enough for a formal-ish dinner to me :smile:

I'm also meeting my boyfriend's parents on Monday! :P Except they live in N.Ireland and I live in England so I'll be staying with them for 3 weeks :O eeeeeeeeek! Have to go find nice clothes to wear for 3 weeks (including to wear to a family wedding!) Feeling better about yours now? xD

A bit :smile: Thanks for the vote of confidence..
Just dress casual but dont have too much flesh on show and wear natural style make-up. First impressions count but once they get to know your personality i'm sure they will love you.

EDIT: Just re-read that it's a formal dinner, in that case yes what you described sounds good. Keep it girly but still smart again not too much flesh on show. I would recommend something with a high neckline, nothing too short in the skirt and tights. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
wear a nice dress, not overly 'Lutty' HAHA
Reply 9
Cant go wrong with a nice dress, the oasis one is a bit victorian looking :s-smilie: but if its what you like go for it. Make sure your make-up is natural, go for a clear or gloss that is closest to your lip shade as poss, dont want to look like you're trying too hard, overall just try and relax, they will of done it themselves in the past so try not to worry, good luck! x
Reply 10
Original post by Lugosi
Cant go wrong with a nice dress, the oasis one is a bit victorian looking :s-smilie: but if its what you like go for it. Make sure your make-up is natural, go for a clear or gloss that is closest to your lip shade as poss, dont want to look like you're trying too hard, overall just try and relax, they will of done it themselves in the past so try not to worry, good luck! x

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest