The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mmm, the stuffed peppers I had for dinner were delicious. Bit of a carb heavy day today though!
Original post by flying twig
your diet isn't very good tbh and appletise is not healthy

Well my diet could be a lot worse than it is. To quite honest, my breakfast was no more than 400 cal - could have maybe done without the bacon but it was that or a plate of Kellogs. Lunch wasn't a lot of calories either - the soup was no more than 100 calories, the cheese sandwich - well yes, cheese is fattening I suppose. Appletise isn't *that* bad for you, it's high in sugar but low in everything else. It's also one of your five a day - and was an alternative to eating an ice cream at least! ... Not the best diet possible I agree but it's a working progress, I live at home and to a certain extent have to go on what my mum can afford to buy and not necessarily what I want to eat. I have done a fair bit of exercise - well, I walked a mile and a half (6000 steps on pedometer) so I'm not feeling too bad :smile:
Original post by daisydaffodil

Well my diet could be a lot worse than it is. To quite honest, my breakfast was no more than 400 cal - could have maybe done without the bacon but it was that or a plate of Kellogs. Lunch wasn't a lot of calories either - the soup was no more than 100 calories, the cheese sandwich - well yes, cheese is fattening I suppose. Appletise isn't *that* bad for you, it's high in sugar but low in everything else. It's also one of your five a day - and was an alternative to eating an ice cream at least! ... Not the best diet possible I agree but it's a working progress, I live at home and to a certain extent have to go on what my mum can afford to buy and not necessarily what I want to eat. I have done a fair bit of exercise - well, I walked a mile and a half (6000 steps on pedometer) so I'm not feeling too bad :smile:

You need to get some fruit and veg in though. And if you can, try switching white grains to wholegrain/brown. It's surprising how much fuller it makes you!
Lovely roast for dinner. Didn't have much meat (not a big meat eater), but piled my plate with broad beans and roast parsnip. Nom :smile: Though I did slip up a bit as my gran made a lovely carrot & swede mash, but she makes it with cream cheese so the extra helpings I had of that wasn't amazing!
Overall today about 1300 cals and that's including a protein shake so not a bad day :smile:

The bacon and cheese weren't that bad. The bread you'll have had is much worse. Fruit juice is like all the bad things about fruit and very few of the positives, you would be better off swapping the three glasses of juice you had for three pieces of fresh fruit.

It's not just about calories, where you get the calories from also affects weight loss/gain. It'll be easier in the long run if you get into good habits early on.
Done weights, going for a run at about half 8 (please, people, yell at me if I chicken **** out of it!). Dad's cooking some beans and sausage and something stew thing. Shouldn't be too bad and I could do with more fruit and veg today.
Not been great in terms of food today (bit too high on carbs, not enough protein), but oh well - fine in terms of cals.

Breakfast: Wholemeal toast, small bits of chicken breast, 2 fried eggs
Snack: McCoys (my only bit of junky food in 2 weeks!)
Lunch: Raspberry and Strawberry smoothie with milk and natural yoghurt
Dinner: 1 yellow and 1 red pepper stuffed with brown rice, minced meat, black beans, chopped tomatoes, grated cheese and red chillies.
Original post by Tits&Acid

Not been great in terms of food today (bit too high on carbs, not enough protein), but oh well - fine in terms of cals.

Breakfast: Wholemeal toast, small bits of chicken breast, 2 fried eggs
Snack: McCoys (my only bit of junky food in 2 weeks!)
Lunch: Raspberry and Strawberry smoothie with milk and natural yoghurt
Dinner: 1 yellow and 1 red pepper stuffed with brown rice, minced meat, black beans, chopped tomatoes, grated cheese and red chillies.

I wouldn't say that was high in carbs, at all! If anything, lunch could have done with something carby. Unless of course, you're eating 10 slices of bread when you say toast.
You guys talk too much :tongue:

Figure Imight as well reintroduce myself, as we're on a new thread (good idea, BTW).
I'm Flo(ra) :waves:

Height: 5"3 (just measured myself and I've grown half an inch :woo:)
Start weight: 10st10 (size 12-14)
Current weight: 9st8 (size 10)
Stats: 35.6 - 26.5 - 36.5

Goals:
- Lose a couple of lbs. On my uni scales, I'm 9st5, but on my home ones (which are more accurate), I'm ~9st8. So I would like to be 9st5 on these ones.

- Once I reach my goal weight, actually maintain it (I seem to find this really difficult)

- Run a half marathon at the end of September. Currently I can run ~3.5miles, so I've got a lot of work to do!

- Sort out my iron levels - I tried to give blood last week, but I got told my iron levels are too low, then got a letter suggesting I see my doctor. This one's going to be harder, cause I already eat all the things you're recommended to eat for iron. I'm going to look into seeing a doctor (might be hard since I'm registered at uni and my local surgery is totally useless), but for now, I'm going to start taking supplements, and drinking vitamin C tablets.

- Break my mindset of food = comfort/love. I've just about sorted it with regards to myself (I no longer reach for the chocolate when I down), but I need to sort it out regarding my boyfriend. I find myself making sure that I have all his favourite (unhealthy) foods in when he comes to visit, and bake him cakes, etc. He's not exactly skinny, so it's not good for either of us.

- Kick my diet fizzy drink habit. I use it as a crutch whenever I feel like eating out of boredom, but I need to learn how to deal with boredom eating on my own.

Ooops. Kinda a long ramble of goals. But hopefully now they're written down, I'm more likely to stick to them.

----------

This weekend has been a write off. Way too much junk food. Just hoping it's not been bad enough to cancel out my good work during the rest of the week. Weigh in on Tuesday...
Just done a really long walk to the harbour and back.. Went into the shop and was tempted to buy an ice cream/sweet - it's scorching hot outside - but just had a bottle of appletise instead. Boring but healthy. Have discovered we have no chicken sadly - so it's turkey drummers, potato wedges and salad for tea instead. Processed food much but there's nothing in the freezer to make a meal with :frown:

If you think appletiser is healthy, you have a problem.
Hi guyss :smile:

I'm 5'9 and 75kg/11 stone 8 pounds..

my aim is to go down to 10 stone and fit into a size 12 hopefully or 10 wishful thinking lol :smile:
but i'm back from uni and going to start jogging and cycling :smile: woo
goood luck ! we can dooo this xo.
Original post by Aemiliana
I wouldn't say that was high in carbs, at all! If anything, lunch could have done with something carby. Unless of course, you're eating 10 slices of bread when you say toast.

Hahah no, but I mean it's 100g of carbs for the day - I'm aiming for around 70g since I'm doing low-ish carbs. Which I'm quite liking so far, I feel much less lethargic with this new eating and I haven't had a single headache since I started (I used to get them every day)! I would have liked more for lunch but I got distracted (I meant to make myself a pork tenderloin wrap) and forgot, but then raspberries and strawberries have a decent amount of carbs (especially for the amount I had) - good carbs though in that raspberries are high in fibre I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Shawshank
If you think appletiser is healthy, you have a problem.

Well I thought it would be better than everything else in the shop - sweets, ice creams, crisps, full sugar coke, fanta etc. Thought Appletise would be a safe bet as it's one of your five a day - though someone did already say it's full of sugar so it's maybe not a good idea. Probably just go for water in future.

Along the lines of bread - someone said to buy more granary; normally we do buy granary stuff and granary rolls but forgot to get this week, away into town tommorow to get some, so all we have at present is white rolls. Don't eat bread very often at all though normally - I usually only have cereal for breakfast then a panini at lunch or something, it's unusual for me to have bread at breakfast :smile:
No breakfast - woke up waay to late!

Lunch: pitta and lentils (500)
Dinner: Grilled fish (marinated) and veg (450)

Snacks: melon (100), cereal bar (140)

1190 cal altogether!
Drinks: cordial and tea

Hahah no, but I mean it's 100g of carbs for the day - I'm aiming for around 70g since I'm doing low-ish carbs. Which I'm quite liking so far, I feel much less lethargic with this new eating and I haven't had a single headache since I started (I used to get them every day)! I would have liked more for lunch but I got distracted (I meant to make myself a pork tenderloin wrap) and forgot, but then raspberries and strawberries have a decent amount of carbs (especially for the amount I had) - good carbs though in that raspberries are high in fibre I guess.

Okay, but try to stay healthy while in this thread. I certainly could never do a low carb diet, myself!

---

Dinner was late and it'll be dark by the time I can go running without hurling. Not happy. :nothing:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];32832169']You guys talk too much :tongue:

Tell me about it.. 10 pages in 24 hours, you bloody gossips. Get off TSR and go for a jog!!

(Just kidding)

Today has been AWFUL for me. Had family round, which meant BBQ (actually that bit was healthy) but dessert.. must have eaten about 600 cals in that alone! Don't think I'll have gained, but might have maintained this week.. which will be a right pain in the bum as that means I won't have lost for about 3 weeks!

I need to get a grip. Was thinking about investing in some weights (I've made £90 from matched betting in the past 24 hours so got a bit of cash to spare) but not sure where to get some or how much for??

Would prefer buying my own than going to the gym, as it's cheaper in the long term!

If anyone has some weights that are good and not too expensive could you let me know? Thanks :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Tell me about it.. 10 pages in 24 hours, you bloody gossips. Get off TSR and go for a jog!!

(Just kidding)

Today has been AWFUL for me. Had family round, which meant BBQ (actually that bit was healthy) but dessert.. must have eaten about 600 cals in that alone! Don't think I'll have gained, but might have maintained this week.. which will be a right pain in the bum as that means I won't have lost for about 3 weeks!

I need to get a grip. Was thinking about investing in some weights (I've made £90 from matched betting in the past 24 hours so got a bit of cash to spare) but not sure where to get some or how much for??

Would prefer buying my own than going to the gym, as it's cheaper in the long term!

If anyone has some weights that are good and not too expensive could you let me know? Thanks :smile:

Ask in the Barbelles thread/Powerlifter's thread as they'll know more than me. But I have a metal York dumbbell set. However, it's only 20kg and I'm starting to think that this will soon be too little for some exercises. But you can always buy extra plates, so it's not much of an issue.
Just found out that there's an Easygym opening near me in about a week. £13.99 a month for the first three months...
I'm quite tempted. Only thing is, it says no contract, but it's payment by direct debit, and I really don't want to get screwed over trying to cancel it.
Original post by Aemiliana
Ask in the Barbelles thread/Powerlifter's thread as they'll know more than me. But I have a metal York dumbbell set. However, it's only 20kg and I'm starting to think that this will soon be too little for some exercises. But you can always buy extra plates, so it's not much of an issue.

Oo yes good idea thanks! I've never done any weights before so I guess I won't need them too heavy for a good while, so I'll check that out thank you :-).
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];32834695']Just found out that there's an Easygym opening near me in about a week. £13.99 a month for the first three months...
I'm quite tempted. Only thing is, it says no contract, but it's payment by direct debit, and I really don't want to get screwed over trying to cancel it.
You should be able to tell your bank to stop the payments going out and then go in with written confirmation that you'll be cancelling - that what I did for a similar price plan (it was a council gym though)

Oo yes good idea thanks! I've never done any weights before so I guess I won't need them too heavy for a good while, so I'll check that out thank you :-).

You might be interested in checking out Stumptuous for articles/workout plans - I'm using the dumbbell workout right now (and loving it - I love good mornings - can really feel it working your back!)

Latest